Vortex Guide Writing Contest

devvy

17 minutes ago, Luminaire said:

That does not justify the attitude being put up against people being critical of the plugin. We just "don't get" it or we're not smart enough or too lazy to fully utilise the plugin. We can have opinions and we can dislike the plugin, that does not make us any less than the people who tested it.

The issue is that to my knowledge, and please prove me wrong if I am mistaken here there was no large scale public testing. The majority of the playerbase was not represented in the test process and as a result we got something we didn't actually ask for. The backlash this plugin has seen so far would've not been like this if people had a voice in this. The behavior from certain individuals only makes it worse for staff in the end, should keep that in mind too.

Warning: I am blunt, I was an alpha tester and therefore have knowledge that you don't have and therefore the information I give you is more correct than people who are spreading their assumptions of what is happening, I don't care to dance around to seem nice and helpful, I fully believe that most peoples reactions to vortex are allieviated with the phrases "it's in alpha idiot", "That's a bug, not a feature", and my personal favorite "No, you are just wrong, that's not how this works at all."

so 2 points here or more idk I'm basically illiterate:

1. Sham wasn't a tester, he is just a player, a new player at that who has easily navigated the system and finds that people who are having trouble must be arguing in bad faith because if he (once again, a new player) can figure it out, then they can too, they just aren't doing it so that they can whine about it. (however I have argued that since so many people are hilariously crying about him being an alpha tester, he should be made one, cause that would just be really too good)

2. Vortex isn't neccesary for the regular player, you don't need to do anything in vortex to roleplay. (this doesn't represent the irregular player obviously IE: full fledged nations trying to kit soldiers, and charters trying to build their whole ass settlements)

3. what do you think is happening right now? Vortex is in alpha right now, you are literally testing it right now.

4. A professions plug-in has been asked for since basically the removal of nexus. 😕 

5. The behaviour of players and not staff should not effect your opinion of the plug-in, doing so is pretty much a "You problem" and not a plug-in problem to be blunt

6. The trial version of Vortex should not have been released on the transition map, it has delayed the actual coding of the full version of Vortex, blame admins.

10 minutes ago, Professorus said:

Warning: I am blunt, I was an alpha tester and therefore have knowledge that you don't have and therefore the information I give you is more correct than people who are spreading their assumptions of what is happening, I don't care to dance around to seem nice and helpful, I fully believe that most peoples reactions to vortex are allieviated with the phrases "it's in alpha idiot", "That's a bug, not a feature", and my personal favorite "No, you are just wrong, that's not how this works at all."

so 2 points here or more idk I'm basically illiterate:

1. Sham wasn't a tester, he is just a player, a new player at that who has easily navigated the system and finds that people who are having trouble must be arguing in bad faith because if he (once again, a new player) can figure it out, then they can too, they just aren't doing it so that they can whine about it. (however I have argued that since so many people are hilariously crying about him being an alpha tester, he should be made one, cause that would just be really too good)

2. Vortex isn't neccesary for the regular player, you don't need to do anything in vortex to roleplay. (this doesn't represent the irregular player obviously IE: full fledged nations trying to kit soldiers, and charters trying to build their whole ass settlements)

3. what do you think is happening right now? Vortex is in alpha right now, you are literally testing it right now.

4. A professions plug-in has been asked for since basically the removal of nexus.\

5. The behaviour of players and not staff should not effect your opinion of the plug-in, doing so is pretty much a "You problem" and not a plug-in problem to be blunt

6. The trial version of Vortex should not have been released on the transition map, it has delayed the actual coding of the full version of Vortex, blame admins.

1. Glad you actually cleared that up since I wasn't aware. That does not justify him bashing others though.

2. If its not for regular players they shouldn't have locked everything behind cooldowns. If you're not part of a nation you're potentially crippled in your ability to get certain materials. It punishes players who don't have the time to actively grind materials as simple as cobblestone because there's a cooldown on even tiny nodes.

3. Why use a new map as the first proper alpha test when you know it will only end in chaos?

4. Yes but not like this and actually with player input.

5. It does not, it's moreso an annoyance towards the community and it just 

6. Actually agree there, it was stupid and ruined any rp that was going to be happen there

4 minutes ago, Luminaire said:

1. Glad you actually cleared that up since I wasn't aware. That does not justify him bashing others though.

2. If its not for regular players they shouldn't have locked everything behind cooldowns. If you're not part of a nation you're potentially crippled in your ability to get certain materials. It punishes players who don't have the time to actively grind materials as simple as cobblestone because there's a cooldown on even tiny nodes.

3. Why use a new map as the first proper alpha test when you know it will only end in chaos?

4. Yes but not like this and actually with player input.

5. It does not, it's moreso an annoyance towards the community and it just 

6. Actually agree there, it was stupid and ruined any rp that was going to be happen there

The second point is intentional, blame World team, they are trying to kill that sort of thing.

The third point is sort of a two point answer

1. Vortex was on track to be ready to be fully done by map transition, however, because of the admins making it at last minute notice get put into the transition map, it threw everything off track.

2. Map release was supposed to be the beta test, but because of the map transition it is Alpha testing+ basically.

The fourth point, everyone had months of time to see and discuss vortex, anyone who asked nick got a full video presentation of vortex basically, there was community input, just not from the people who didn't take the initiative to actually try to find out any information in the many months from announcment to now.

1 hour ago, Professorus said:

4. A professions plug-in has been asked for since basically the removal of nexus. 😕 

2. I disagree with that frankly. If anything that mindset just furthers the apparent divide between nations and crazy grinders and everyone else. If nations are the only ones running around with full kits and with access to consistent nodes that actively prevents the average player who may want to get involved from being able to get involved. 

4. yeah I think people have. But we went from “yes this will only be a basic profession plug-in” to “btw whole new pvp system and we’re gonna cripple building and lock things behind confusing UIs and unique ways of gating content.”

6 minutes ago, Professorus said:

The second point is intentional, blame World team, they are trying to kill that sort of thing.

The third point is sort of a two point answer

1. Vortex was on track to be ready to be fully done by map transition, however, because of the admins making it at last minute notice get put into the transition map, it threw everything off track.

2. Map release was supposed to be the beta test, but because of the map transition it is Alpha testing+ basically.

The fourth point, everyone had months of time to see and discuss vortex, anyone who asked nick got a full video presentation of vortex basically, there was community input, just not from the people who didn't take the initiative to actually try to find out any information in the many months from announcment to now.

The transition map happened 3 days to the supposed map release, you're telling me they were planning to finish the plugin during that 3 day period. What we got on the transition version according to people (and I believe you yourself said so too) was 2 versions ago from the supposed "beta" version. The last minute admin call was stupid and I agree it could have messed up things, but finishing a plugin 3 days before map release makes me believe the assumption things got rushed even more.

For your second point, that still limits it. People were shown a video, but that differs heavily from in person testing on a large scale. Also the fact you had to ask sits wrong with me. Why can't the video be made public then? Not just to the people who ask, so it's easier for people to access since not everyone would have known the video was there or that they could've asked for it.

I hope player feedback is actually taken into account, but whoever decided it was a good idea to release it on 8.0 like this made a poor call. There could have been partial implementations (like on the temp map) to test certain aspects, such as starting with ore nodes. Looking back to last map, alchemy plant nodes were implemented without the alchemy plugin that was supposed to support it. It is perfectly possible to deploy test versions in smaller batches, so that the people who don't want to go through vortex aren't forced to.

Imagine having to grind to build your settlement at the moment.

1 minute ago, Sykogenic said:

2. I disagree with that frankly. If anything that mindset just furthers the apparent divide between nations and crazy grinders and everyone else. If nations are the only ones running around with full kits and with access to consistent nodes that actively prevents the average player who may want to get involved from being able to get involved. 

4. yeah I think people have. But we went from “yes this will only be a basic profession plug-in” to “btw whole new pvp system and we’re gonna cripple building and lock things behind confusing UIs and unique ways of gating content.”

First I'd like to address that yes, we have derailed the actual purpose of this thread, and I find that funny.

Once again, it was intentional to stop players from upstarting and creating Norland 2, it is purposefully meant to drive players to nations. blame world team, that was their decision.

things are only gated because not everything that should be implemented is in, if you wait, there is literally more nodes being placed and the plug-in is being finished.

Please tell me how to get Tough Hide so I can level the server up to the bronze age before we need a new obscure leather type to unlock a new metal.

1 hour ago, Professorus said:

things are only gated because not everything that should be implemented is in, if you wait, there is literally more nodes being placed and the plug-in is being finished.

Why was the plugin not ready for release, you say it was because of the temp map but you're saying those three days were to complete vortex and if thats the case how did he expect any testing to happen of his 'complete' vortex plugin other than on the live new map?

2 hours ago, Samler said:

Please tell me how to get Tough Hide so I can level the server up to the bronze age before we need a new obscure leather type to unlock a new metal.

You cannot, it's parting of hunting and hunting is not implemented. you just have to wait till it gets done

1 hour ago, Boniface said:

Why was the plugin not ready for release, you say it was because of the temp map but you're saying those three days were to complete vortex and if thats the case how did he expect any testing to happen of his 'complete' vortex plugin other than on the live new map?

I think you answered your own question my guy. on the live new map, that's how...

the live map shouldn't be used for testing a new plugin that was created for a new map release, it should have already been completed and tested

Vortex isn't hard. It's just unfinished. It'll probably be considered a lot better when it's done. Should've been completed, though.

I think its safe to assume, since its been nearly a month with no guide created by the staff that they are solely relying on ones made from this competition rather than explaining their own plugins to us properly?

On 11/29/2020 at 3:57 AM, devvy said:

As a reminder, we have an active contest!

Do you want a rare, exclusive, forum tag?

Do you want your work to be submitted on the Wiki for everyone to see?

Do you want MINAS??

LOOK NO FURTHER!!

From November 27th to December 30th - you have the opportunity to win 250 minas and the Wiki Wizard forum tag! (So exclusive only three people have it..)

How do you enter the contest? Simple!

Message HogoBojo#0001 on discord. He will assign you a topic and you have to write an all-informative guide about it! The winner will have their works published on the Wiki, but participants are still allowed to post their submissions on the forums (even if they don't win), as an unofficial guide! Look here for some inspiration on how to create an efficient Vortex guide: https://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Vortex_Beginners_Guide

As a newly returned player trying to wrap my head around Vortex, it's really sad to see how much its management has failed. Tech team should have had a guide ready on release (no matter if its an early or full release) made by beta testers. I understand it's the holidays, but seeing that it's been a month I believe some kind of information needs to be given. You have a VERY large portion of your playerbase angered. I've seen the "vocal minority doesn't outweigh the playerbase at large" arguement made which is pathetic. EVERY voice in your community should be given weight and this really is a group of around 100 players and there certainly isn't a vocal supportive majority or really any vocal support at all.

Vortex proves to be  unexciting with how sparse materials are and how hard hunting mobs are to find. The grind is so recognizably large that it feels more useful to players to complain on the forums and ultimately not use the plugin. This grinding is absolutely not something people want on an RP server. I love the economy it creates but you need to allow more freedom to collect the materials players want. Create a larger economy by placing dependencies on top tier profession products instead of making materials so hard to grind for. 

It seems like there's a lot in store for Vortex and I'm excited for it. I love seeing where this server is headed but it is slightly discouraging to see the lack of response towards criticism from the community. It also feels that the need for a guide should not have been placed in the hands of players especially not at release- this should have been prepared during beta. Seeing the economy it's create is sick and it definitely forces you to act as the profession you desire but the grind is complicated and tedious at a very early stage. Please, for the love of god, just let us know what's up and what you have planned. As someone kind of outside looking in, the playerbase looks like its half hanging within limbo.