[✗] [Magic Lore] Mentalism

Zarsies

Imo contract magic was removed for a reason. Re-adding it is a poor idea, even with the lesser capacity that these geas provide. I am also not of the opinion that 'good faith' can be given to players, after years and years these things are horrifically abused, and merely left alone. Whilst it may function while you yourself are on the team, such is not permanent, and in that case it seems that a lot of spells, specifically the mind altering ones, may be horribly abused with little done to prevent such. It definitely has the capacity to be broken, and should be more cantrip focused than anything. Also has literally no ftb related redlines, and can definitely be used in a very poor capacity, something that is absolutely needed.

Looks great. Looking forward to potential RP generated by this rewrite if it passes. I’m hoping that this raises the bar for Mental Magic roleplay in contrast to what we had pre lore games.

2 minutes ago, Lhindir_ said:

-

I entirely agree that this, more than other magics, requires attentive and heavy-handed policing. That said, people who break magic rules tend to reveal themself rather quickly and given the speed at which magics spread I don't think the assumed influx of mentalism abusers will be unmanageable nor will complaints about them fall on deaf ears given the explicit inclusion of the clause, something not said on other potentially volatile magics. There's not much else to say other than to put trust in the team, something I understand anyone would be hesitant of knowing LotC's history; however, the team nowadays is leagues above where it used to be and I trust in it enough to have spent my time writing and posting this.

Just now, Zarsies said:

I entirely agree that this, more than other magics, requires attentive and heavy-handed policing. That said, people who break magic rules tend to reveal themself rather quickly and given the speed at which magics spread I don't think the assumed influx of mentalism abusers will be unmanageable nor will complaints about them fall on deaf ears given the explicit inclusion of the clause, something not said on other potentially volatile magics. There's not much else to say other than to put trust in the team, something I understand anyone would be hesitant of knowing LotC's history; however, the team nowadays is leagues above where it used to be and I trust in it enough to have spent my time writing and posting this.

And what will it be when the team isnt as good? People leave. This is so horrifically abuseable with the *You will give me x magic OooOOoOoOo roleplay. Necromancy was written with dard intending to do events to obtain all the relevant ST items required. To this day most of these are unobtainable because the team is uncontactable, and reliance on him was clearly a fault. A system designed with the failsafe being st is a poor system.

no notes on the magic but the post song is fire

y'all really missed the OOC consent part of a geas, huh

but there are other valid criticisms that i might write later

1 minute ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Imagine having a brain

Imagine there's no heaven

Wow and I thought I couldn’t simp for Zarsies any more than I already have but yet here we are 😍😩