[✗] [Magic Lore] Mentalism

Zarsies

My primary question is how exactly does a culimancer fix the effects of a broken Geas? It's a lovely touch, and as a Culimancer myself, I do like the thought of fixing such mental agony with a pinch of love and some sugar, just curious as to what the process is. Disney magic is best magic.

I share Lhindir's concerns in large part, as well. Relying on good faith for a magic such as this seems... Risky, if I am to put it lightly. Definitely a gamble, especially in today's LoTC. Having experienced a mental magic being cast on myself before (I believe it was sensory illusion, wherein I was made to see a giant rat in my tavern) I do think that it can provide a wonderful RP experience, as it has for me in the past on the receiving end of it, I am unsure as to whether or not it should have such extreme power, or even any legitimate combat capability. Catalepsy in CRP is certainly unique as a spell, and I adore the thought of debuffs and such instead of directly combative abilities, it does seem a touch powerful for such a spell, but that might just be me. With only 3 emotes to cast it, and seemingly no way to avoid it, the ability seems like it needs some minor tweaking. An ability that, at first glance, is unavoidable with a 20 block range and able to target 3 people at t5 and debuff for 3 emotes does seem a tad heavy. I think it could be fixed by giving it some measure of counterplay, even if it was just a contested flat 20 roll between the players, as it is for ranged attacks atm. It also gives mages the ability to kite if used in conjunction with other magics, giving them a bit more practical durability, which I'm unsure how I feel about, given current conflict rules and a large lack of mobility spells. Perhaps that could be tweaked to halved movement speed, to future proof that aspect of the spell overall? So that way, even if we go back to 10 blocks per emote, the spell won't need changed to accommodate that in the future. 

None of the other combative spells set off any red flags for me, and I can see them providing a rather unique experience. A master mage with a few magics altering someone's perception of the chosen battleground gives me some lovely vibes, and I think such a situation would be a fight to remember for all involved. 

Overall, I think this is a wonderfully written piece. I love the idea of mentalists as debuff mages in CRP, and as these masters of the mind in less combative roleplay scenarios. While there are some concerns that need to be addressed with it, as Lhindir has brought up, I think it's got the potential to be a really solid addition to the current rp climate as a whole, provided, of course, it's kept in the right hands... Which seems to be what this magic relies on entirely. I'm curious to see how this pans out in the end, though I'm sure most, if not all, presented concerns will be addressed in its loremag and such. Provided that both caster and victim cooperate OOCly to create a fun experience, I can see more than a few stories coming about as a result of this magic, folktale style. 

Imma give this a +1, but Lhindir made some really good points that need to be given heavy consideration. Good work, Zarsies! 

(p.s, this was written at 2:40 AM while I was sleepy. Apologies for any rambling, repeated words/sentences, etc. I might fix it in the morning to make it more legible.)

Edited by altiar1011
Tired Salty go brrr

Based?
Based.

Idk. I've always seen mentalism just being rpd just to gain a sneaky combat oneshot advantage without any sort of character-developing elements to it.

not sure how this iteration fixed anything because the abilities seem pretty much the same, and even more maybe. Tho maybe you'll fix that.

You trust people too much, Zars

This is a very well written post. I enjoyed reading through it while I was listening to my lecture teacher.

My only forever lasting issue with mentalism or any kind of magic that is meant to get access to someone's brain, is the players, that will inevitably power-game the use of such powerful magic.

I'd like to see this implemented , tho,  if someone tries to go through my brain in role-play, expect a 3 seconds pvp countdown from me.

+1

How can he become ever more kissable 😍

11 hours ago, altiar1011 said:

My primary question is how exactly does a culimancer fix the effects of a broken Geas? It's a lovely touch, and as a Culimancer myself, I do like the thought of fixing such mental agony with a pinch of love and some sugar, just curious as to what the process is. Disney magic is best magic.

Specifically culimancy's enhancement ability (haunted by the throes of a broken vow? have some magic soup :])

I'll reconsider catalepsy's exact numbers, I see how the each of those elements make for a powerful spell I did not intend to be powerful. As for the rest of your comment I haven't much to say other than what I said to Lhindir; given there will be a wipe of users new users will only come so fast and those who prove problematic tend to show themselves quickly and I trust the team presently and in the future will be able to maintain the rules and spirit of the lore. If players have issues with someone's use of mentalism they need to communicate it.

I like this, good job guys 

mm

brain

i like the pretty colours and i do miss getting mind-fucked and not just by the staff teams

Edited by JustMeMorgan

i mean of course i love it, but that’s not saying much clearly i have no taste.

for starters, in the redlines of this magic it uses the term “OOC Consent” a lot, no where did it say you had to ever do anything this magic is capable of. at literally no penalty you can say “no thanks to that roleplay for my character, next” and SS? now, pale blood magic has abuse vibes beyond anything you might potentially think comes from this... but that magic is nearly never seen? people are actively doing a good job at player retention in specific magic communities. i haven’t seen any striga gone wild all map. no necros spamming a drain. it’s not the same place anymore.

idk why you guys actively shoot yourselves in the foot with stuff either. it’s bad enough that we shoot down every chance to have actually impactful events, because y’all don’t like seeing people having nice things - not even yourselves. the actual DRAMA energy radiating from submission this is too turnt. the **** that could go down in history from the unnoticed actions puppeteered by the bartender?! the lounge singer finding out the conversation with a newly gained fan is not quite as innocent as it may seem. a court mage using their ability to influence the noble they serve, they managed to have their in-prisoned friend released. what if they question this random change in heart? what if they suspect you of doing such a thing?

On 1/17/2021 at 2:09 AM, Luv said:

---

Could you reiterate? I don't mean to sound obtuse but I did not understand any question or point being made in your comment.

2 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

Could you reiterate? I don't mean to sound obtuse but I did not understand any question or point being made in your comment.

yeah, me either yikes wtf

you know i adore you and anything you post. i think i was tryna get at the idea that this could be used to shape bigger more interesting storylines. idek.

From what I understand, she is trying to ask why these communities are so reclusive that they are wasting chances to make an impact on the server, that these magics could make a lot more of a difference if they were a bit more out there