Stray Text

Zarsies

An odd loose leaf parchment finds its way in the scripts of plays, historical records, and tomes of art and thought. Its paper is moldered and yellow from age and stains, each a rare find but all scrawled with the same strange poem. To come upon it is to find strangeness, something to be dismissed and discarded or perhaps speculated on. It reads thus.

Its Sign
No gentleman, no sir, no cavalier;
Long ago I was a hunter of fallow deer.
Til one strange dusk my tracking was off,
When I heard a bark like whooping cough.
The wood is reticent, no place for hacking,
So I froze, the sound nerve-racking.

It was not long until the noise devolved,
Something wretched; my spirit dissolved.
Dread crept through my mind, chills down my spine;
In one turn my fate was sealed; I felt the decline.
Wreathed in saffron cloth and robes of burlap,
A tentacled thing tugged at my bootstrap.

I quivered and my bow fell to the weeds;
It wore an accursed sigil like prayer beads.
With eyes locked on the golden brand,
I could feel my brain tickle and expand.
Riddles and rhymes wove my thoughts,
Every idea and word with logic ersatz.

Arts and poetry marinated the blood in my veins,
Eldritch knowledge weighed on me like chains.
It was far too late, I glimpsed the sign,
Terror took me at the stench of brine.
Its face was silk stitched in bargello;
I quail before yellow.

1123905507_TarathielSignature.png.535e495876b06826078123a0e630edad.png would frown, seeing this strange parchment, hidden in the confines of a tome dedicated to the practical application of philosophy; a book she had been reading for quite some time, making this find all the more peculiar in her eyes. Lifting the poem from where it had been nestled betwixt the aged pages, her eyes would scan the document, the text illuminated in the dim candlelight of her study. With each line read, the Elfess' brow would furrow ever more, clearly perplexed by the contents of this unusual manuscript. 

"... How ghastly." She'd mutter, placing the tome aside so that she may further study what had been left inside of her home. The parchment would be flipped and turned, though once she had seen that there was only the singular poem, she would relent, examining the text once again. Macabre it may have been, she couldn't help but be intrigued. After all, it had ended up in her abode somehow. 

Late into the night, the Elfess would ruminate over, and ponder, the strange gift she had received. By the time the clock had signaled it was three in the morning, she would have resolved to place the document inside of her desk, locking the drawer she had stowed it away in. She had a large amount of work ahead of her, with the coming elections within the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, but...

It would certainly be given another look tomorrow. After all, it's rude not to enjoy a gift. 

An erudite 'aheral came upon the anomalous parchment in the midst of his own ravings that spoke of Creation and terrible things beyond. He simply perused its cryptic musings with a feigned contentment, for unmistakable chills crawled and morbid curiosities swelled. Under his breath were words sparsely spoken within reverberant halls. 

"Eldritch knowledge, brine, yellow."

"Yellow, quail before yellow."

His tone wavered, he mused, pondered. He quailed.