An Um'ei Answered: On Immortality

Strife

On Immortality

The journey of an um'ei, recorded by the Seeker Kleo Vethrai.

SoBG8We.jpg

One elven week has passed since I had been given my charge: A simple Um'ei, translated to "Sacred Journey" in high draconic. Part of my task was to locate the Sage's Seat, a shrine upon the Auric Path, notably near a hot spring with a beautiful tree upon it. But secondly, I was to answer a question that plagued by thoughts as I dwelt the frigid landscapes of the north.

"What is immortality, if time is finite?"

These words from my mentor, my liege, echoed within my mind throughout this arduous journey. I brought rations for several days: a hunting bow with twelve arrows, medicinal salves and first aid supplies, a knife, a spear, my tent, and some lengths of rope. Hide and furs adorned my body, to shield from the sheer temperatures of the land. For this frigid landscape would be my home for many days, and I its occupant. From Haense, I made my journey into the frigid wilds.

Entry One

The first night was not the kindest. Howling winds bit at any exposed skin that it could sup upon. To conserve my supplies and strength, I made camp early underneath treefall. As the sun set, my mind wandered to those words my liege gave me. At first, my thoughts were simply that it was unattainable, and that it would simply be that. But if this was truly that trivial of an um'ei, I would have found the Seat by now. For now, I must sleep, and make progress on my search.

Entry Two

The sun shone today, dimmed by clouds and the slow fall of snow. White flakes covered my cloak, yet the cold was not to impede me. The warmth of the power of the Great Titan was my bulwark against the chill of day, but I would need to find shelter 'fore night. I happened upon cloven tracks, of which led to a great deer seemingly alone within a clearing, adorned with the great bones of some long-gone beast. I observed it, arrow nocked and ready to take the shot, but I took pause as I spied upon what was likely a female, along with her children, taking shelter . While my survival was priority, this provoked thought within me. I stayed hidden within, lowering my bow, and thought. This great beast, with grand tusks, was yet present within the world. Interesting. I retreated, and instead ate some of the salted, dried meat I had packed. My stomach was empty, yet my mind was awash with thought.

Entry Three

After days of travel, I have found a suitable trail throughout the mountain. I have hunted, evaded predators, and yet this question evaded me. I saw another man, a bortu, whom was eager to speak with someone within the wilds. I did not ask his name, and he did not ask mine. He was a prospector, looking to stake a great claim of gold. Something immense, to immortalize himself within Urguan. A common goal, but a simple man is a happy man. I directed him to a rocky outcropping I had camped near some nights ago, and he thanked me. With that, I returned to my hike throughout the mountains, looking for some sort of sign of this landmark. I eventually made camp at the foot of a great, snow-capped mountain, and dwelled upon the dwarf's ambitions. What was he to gain from this? Would his mountains of lucre be what truly secures the prosperity of his land, of his family? Such questions could be thought of another time.

Entry Four

I have found the Sage's Seat. First, from locating the bubbling hotsprings described to me, and then the flourishing tree bearing golden fruit. I quickly made my way to the peak of this mountain, staring at the sight before me. I could see everything from atop this vantage point. The tree was unique, seemingly suspended in time. Despite it being surrounded by snow, it was untouched by the cold. Its fruit laid ripe, out of reach. My hand extended out, entranced by its bounty. I nearly lost my footing. I composed myself, not being dragged in by the siren call of food that is not simple roasted meat. Upon the peak, all I could hear was the howling winds throughout the mountains, and I felt a sense of calm. My journey had shown me many things, notably the tree, the skeleton, and the dwed.

All three were similar in some way. The skeletal remains of the beast were immortalized within this grove. Various animals used it for shelter. The dwarf sought to be forever remembered for his claim, to never die out. And this tree simply was eternal. Thus, I feel I am ready to answer the question of "What is immortality, if time is finite?". Immortality is a goal to make something of this finite existence we live in. Even in death, the remains provided shelter, thus immortalizing it. The dwed, should he succeed, would bring wealth for many centuries, thus immortalizing him. And the tree provides nourishment, forevermore. Immortality in finite time is simply leaving a legacy of good, of great deeds and glory, of service, of freedom. Immortality is unattainable, but it is our goal through creating our great legacies. It is what makes life worth living, through the loss and disaster we face. Through Asioth, we become closer to immortality, to freedom.

Spoiler

@Malaise

Credits to jjpeabody on deviantart for the art

https://www.deviantart.com/jjpeabody/art/Mountain-Ruins-365209933