Progress is the Republic VIII: Okarir'tir

squakhawk

f41DlvyTytomBvejE_nq2vMtS_xXlafDeWOQwklA_ObLo6JQSN2IaqhZaJ57LOGgdJKzEpProIqjWKKBh0aYkJBdY8okYj86HO5aVwZe-VfX0B4J5V1mFxkjyPt6NhEpfgSFFU8m

11th of Sun's Smile, 3 SE

QbYa1Mk-eGAgVy88KlByv-K04aEaxiOhNQzplGNzf96p8kACygZ3nt5q8brAiZCPws2SgxGcwTZBjRT6uvyhizWQBKG_oAzPlJ4oD6U5gu4-t3Le3pB9hvAe-h89LOyU5zdB9EWT

To Elmali’thill of elcihi’thilln,

We bid a grateful farewell to an Okarir'tir who once held peace in our time. Mali'thill Celiasil Uradir has wished to part with his former role to pass it's heavy mantle upon another child of silver. Thus- Maehr'sae is the path, oncemore. 

Progress- it is but our nature. Thus with his parting, it is time for Mali'thill and Haelun'or to progress oncemore- for Karinah'siol to seek out it's most fitting candidates, up for election..

To be the Okarir’tir of the Silver Council, this selfless 'thill will serve as interpreter and word of law, enforcer of those hollowed words, and protector of Karinah'siol and it's blessed citizenry.

Nominations are to be performed as per protocol. They will be delivered to the blessed Maheral or Maelunir to be entered as an electable candidate. For a nomination to be valid, the candidate will present a short speech, demonstrating how they fulfil the prerequisites to serve, along with declarations of appropriate experience.

((word has it a 3D portrait from Novaskin is what all the cool elected officials use.))

DxTo2wUQfbmL4ZlWiRFlwjRsIQKm2fLGZ4MCnBFowLCAQQY0YN_MMiE01Q0CsEEQi0kJ9TmfFhhvhg4bfuZvmRUp0iCBf1R15S4cmx5ILr-xLJ86kHerKG9xbHqLXhPLtLfZiqgo

MAEHR’SAE HIYLUN’EHYA

elec.thumb.png.d6b7c49aa88548ad340858b7f9d05a82.png

The pipes, the pipes are calling...

separ.png.2f3873e3afe74ce259a5abd04357b8c9.png

An elegantly-dressed Mali’thill makes his way in front of the imposing building that houses the Library and College, hands clasping an ornamental pommel restlessly. He unsheathes a splendid greatsword and plants the tip into the stone below in symbolic gesture. Dio Astore's visage, carved of grey stone, gazes down on him under a crown of snow and ice.  A warm smile outshone only by the burning passion in his eyes is offered to the citizens before him. He takes a few moments to breathe before speaking with a high voice, clear and strong despite the whispering winds of Winter. 

“Karin’ayla lliran and most blessed citizens of Karinah’siol, home to the Highest of all Elvendom. I, Valorin Celia’thilln, would like to take this opportunity to present my candidacy for the position of Okarir’tir of the Silver State.” He pauses briefly to let his words sink in before resuming with practiced diction and eloquence. “I was taught a long time ago that there was no higher distinction in our society than service. Be it a seat in high government or giving help to those which require it the most. It is that very spirit of vocation for which I have striven since I was an Elfling that has encouraged me to serve in the Sillumiran, even before I entered the realm of adulthood." Valorin nods slowly, remembering days in the past with sorrow tinging his voice.

“The path of Elokarir’tir is deemed one of delicate intricacy when it comes to execution of its duties.  It oversees the Silver Law of Haelun'or as well as managing its enforcement through the most honorable Sillumiran. It has long been Elsillumiran who have sacrificed their very lives so that we, as a people of strength and endurance, may persevere ” He states with a firm tone, observing every face before him. “Despite my youth, I have spent almost every waking hour working to make my bloodline and city proud; I have been deemed worthy of being promoted to the rank of Tahorren by our former Okarir'tir himself, a duty I have performed without stain or rest. I have devoted much of my life to writing about our history, military or otherwise, and spreading the tenets of Progress and Health among our younger citizenry. I hope this is further proof of my convictions."

Valorin's face seems unperturbed while his tone betrays his calm demeanor. “As an officer, I have worked to make those new and returning Sillumiran resume their duties as seamlessly as possible. I have encouraged them to pursue intellectual habits as to sharpen their minds as often as they do their blades.” He says, clasping his hands behind his back. “However, not even the most complete of trainings can fully prepare anyone against the challenges that have emerged.”

“This so-called Second Age has opened a chapter of dark times. As even the most ancient and stalwart Elven-tree must learn, only deep roots and experience can aid it in weathering against the changing winds of fate.” He states. “It is essential, we overhaul our internal structure and streamline an inactive and convoluted bureaucracy that too often has allowed the opportunistic and corrupt to seize power beyond the citizens' will to stop them. I yearn to focus on training our next generation of Sillumiran, applying protocols tested by time as much as new procedures in accordance with the latest legislative and legal advances.” The silver-haired Sillumir raises an index finger with a warning in his voice. "For to focus only on the industry of war and the collection of resources is detrimental and not our responsibility. To engage in wanton violence and wielding the law without understanding it may result in unruly and reckless bullies; as always the tyrants with their misinterpretations and ignorance of nuance will seek to oppress and manipulate, we must rise up and say NE!"

Ne! We will not submit. We shall not serve corruption or further impurity. We will not discard the maxims that have meant survival a few generations before us. The elders remember.” He continues, “As we settle into our own once more, we must ensure that our protection of Purity, Health, and Progress continues uninterrupted and untainted. To be as pure and successful as they have in days of forgotten plenty."  He takes a sip of icy water from the glass offered by one of the library's many trainees with a muttered thanks.

“I am first and foremost a scholar, even with my long career as Sillumir. I have written about our histories since the days before Malin to the Fall of Lareh'till. So I say to you, Blessed High Elven, do we learn from our past and shape a new future?; a glorious State beneath Sun and Moon to last beyond the Deeps of Time with a fresh face on a most esteemed institution to lead it? Or shall we revert to failed tradition and uncouth, impure practices brought from alien societies not worthy of our most basic respect. For I swear upon you to heed those who offer counsel and guidance and utterly reject those that shall allow rampant impurity and decay to infect our very souls. My life shall be forfeit if I fail to uphold the very principles that we hold most dear." 

"I leave the choice upon you, who know me and my dreams for a stronger and brighter Sillumiran. For a wiser and growing Haelun'or. We remain pure. Ahern ito nae'leh and Maehr’sae Hiylun’eyha! Valorin Celia'thilln concludes with a grave tone. His blade is sheathed, removing its Elven-forged beauty from sight. He bows his head at those present, returning up the steps and vanishing into the hallowed halls of San'evarir.

322954589_ScreenShot2020-09-05at16_47_33.png.56a5171f5460b271e381a24da959a73e.png

EllisarForum.thumb.png.71a45f8499450810d995375ce1ebd9a1.png

QbYa1Mk-eGAgVy88KlByv-K04aEaxiOhNQzplGNzf96p8kACygZ3nt5q8brAiZCPws2SgxGcwTZBjRT6uvyhizWQBKG_oAzPlJ4oD6U5gu4-t3Le3pB9hvAe-h89LOyU5zdB9EWT

A fully uniformed Ellisar would make his way to the square in front of the Citadel of Karinah’siol. Clearing his throat slightly, he pulls a piece of paper from a pouch on his uniform and keeps it in hand.

"Karin'ayla everyone. Ahernan for taking the time to hear me out today." Ellisar looks around at the crowd before continuing. "I am here to announce my candidacy for the post of Okarir'tir, with the goal of continuing the fine work of the past Okarir'tir, Celiasil Uradir while modernizing and reforming Elsillumiran as needed." He would pause before continuing.

"For those that do not know, my name is Ellisar Aevaris. I've served as Tilruir'sil of the Sillumiran since 1776 in the First Age, with a total of 24 years of service with Elsillimuran. In that time I've found a career that is challenging yet rewarding, made many close lliran, raised a family, and hopefully been of good service to the Silver State. Throughout my service the Sillumiran have faced many challenges and overcome just as many. The policies and reforms I intend to introduce are designed to continue this success as well as ensure the continued safety of our people and city. I would like to outline these further for you now." Ellisar glances down at his paper before beginning again.

"If elected my first priority would be to undertake a comprehensive review of the city's defences. Strengthening our walls and fortifications will ensure our ability to defend ourselves from attack, keep unwanted visitors out, and endure any possible sieges. My second initiative ties in closely with the first. It is the adoption of cannon. I have seen these weapons wielded to great effect in battle, and I believe in order to match any possible opponents in the field Sillumiran must be trained in their use and our defences modified to accommodate them. Construction of additional towers able to hold these weapons may be required, something that I would coordinate closely with our Okarir'nor." He pauses for a breath and looks around the listening crowd again.

"Another initiative I would undertake is to develop a system of intelligence gathering. Too often we are caught unawares, unable to locate offenders or left in the dark as to the intentions of other nations. This would be a long-term project as the very nature of this work involves time and careful planning, however I believe it will yield good results in time. Aside from that, I would introduce a system of court-martial for serious offences committed by any active member of the Silver State's military. This would, of course, be subservient to the nation's existing judicial structure and require council approval. However, I believe it would streamline disciplinary measures within Elsillumiran. Finally, I intend to continue our stepped up training in combat techniques, formations, drill and military procedure as well as our determined recruiting drive that has seen many new Halerir join the ranks in the recent past."

"In regards to the judicial and legislative roles of the Okarir'tir position, rest assured I would continue to uphold our existing laws, customs, and the Constitution of 1774. On assuming office I would undertake a review of existing laws, directed by the Silver Council to address any issues or gaps that may exist within our legal structure. I would also see the Sillumiran be more available to help the citizens of Haelun'or should they face issues such as burglary, violence and so on. It has always been my belief that Elsillumiran exist to serve the people and government of Haelun'or and work to erase the mistrust and fear of past eras." Ellisar would pause again, making eye contact with familiar faces amongst those listening.

"I hope that you will consider giving me your vote and your trust. My door, just above the tavern" he points "is always open should anyone wish to discuss anything I have said or any concerns you have. Ahernan for your time and for your consideration."

Ellisar would fold the paper back into a pouch, nod to those in the crowd, and depart the square to resume his duties.

6yPSgeLipTQBgueaajSTmwIQ78H6GKsuuBKjqwAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduwBgDcMwY

separ.png

Now, a third figure rose to the stand, pale and gaunt. His eyes held within them an acute coldness, alike that of some pale and lingering ember, yet cunning and brilliant all the same. Olrin Hildinyr looked to the crowd of mali'thill within that assembly, offering an affirming smile towards those that had gathered before he came to enunciate his address.

"Most Blessed Citizenry of Karinah'siol. It is with great honor that I have come to stand before you today, not as one competing for a number of votes or the affirmation of some ballot, but as one who seeks only to grant my utmost service to you, the mali'thill of the Silver State. For alas, I bring grave news which I beseech all thy take heed."

"In this Second Age we endure, the world is plagued by uncertainty - unprepared for whatever slumbering strife the new world withholds. None now stand to lead the lesser flocks in their attainment of security, and though some others might claim to maintain superiority, they are naught but fools dabbling in their limited, feeble technologies at the mercy of their clouded minds. They call themselves just, and yet slaughter one-another in cold blood - their empires and kingdoms endlessly pervaded with strife and bloodshed. Yet we, the Mali'thill, are not among those lesser ilk. We are not some melting pot or crucible of culture, that would soil tradition and faith - for Silver is only made pure by refinement of fire itself, alone. Never would we deign to permit silver blood to run through our streets, for even a single 'thill is more valuable than the greatest 'bortu horde or palace of the valah. And as Okarir'tir I would find it my sole duty to preserve them by any means."

"We have all witnessed turmoil come about, not even a decade upon this new land. Unnatural beasts roam our squares under the pretense of 'responsibility', Oem'ii are assaulted in our own streets!The elf's expression contorted to that of scorn and loathing for those who had enacted such vile deeds, and the passion which drove his voice bolded even greater. "I have witnessed what atrocities lie beyond the safety of our walls, and should we not be prepared, they will devour us not only from beyond, but from within."

"We must remain as the untarnished Beacon of Purity, withholding ourselves from dabbling in the culture of the lessers - for it is a culture of war, and folly, and loss. Nothing is to be merited from such an enterprise as to adopt their lesser beliefs and styles. The Mali'thill must bring about their own salvation from the corruption and vice that seeks to consume all those who dwell upon this continent. We must make ourselves as the shining beacon that the Maehr'sae Hiylun'ehya pleads of us. And if we do not sustain ourselves against the harrowing winds of oblivion, then our luster will truly fade!"

"As Okarir'tir, I will foremostly ensure safe borders, enforcing the ivory walls of our bastion with the knowledge which we have so been endowed. With your aid, and the support of the Sillumiran, I will strive to make for us a prosperous safety in which we may forever hold our own against the tide of corruption and change which threatens beyond our gate. Our children, and even their children, will live their lives knowing that they remain safe, and that the tradition of our purity is upheld. We will not falter as the lesser races have, nor will we stoop to the lowness of their foul technologies and tactics. For we, the ageless and unbound Mali'thill of Karinah'siol, are the perfect embodiment of that which all should strive to be." the elf would then release a long drawn breath, his digits idly rapping upon the pedestal as he closed his eyes in pensive thought; collected and calm. Now, he opened his eyes to face the congregation again, holding his head high and proud, truly befitting of those who called themselves 'thill. 

"Let us make this land, not the dawn which heralds the dusk of tradition and our light, but one which proclaims a triumphant and everlasting day of peace and prosperity! Maehr'sae Hiylun'ehya." the young elf would conclude, placing a hand to his heart and offering a deep bow of his silver locks to the assembly, before coming to walk off the pedestal in silence. 

Alluin Miravaris had been listening to the nominations of the three candidates. He was still waiting for Zelios, who he expected to run, but as there was a silence, he took his chance. He was not planning to run for the position as he did the last few times. He already was short on time to spend with his family and interests, and he was not planning on burdening himself even more. However, after over a 100 years of servitude to elsillumiran, he would at least make sure to speak up about its leadership.

"Valorin, I have known you from our earlier days among elsillumiran, and I know you as a valiant and capable 'thill. You speak of servitude and intricacy, and I know you as a mali who can make these terms true. Focus on training, both physical and in legaslative matters and Law, is an important part of elsillumiran, and worth the attention you are planning to give to it. However, you have been away for a long time. Do you not think this caused a gap between you and our mal'onnan who joined recently?"

"Ellisar, you make a few good points. Your years of experience are valuable, and so are your ideas of strengthening our city's defences and setting up a system of intelligence gathering. However, in the last months I have noticed a shift in our conversations. As tilruir'sil, you do not only have the responsibility to serve elokarir'tir, but also to keep an eye on them. Why did you not take this responsibility and speak out against the path Celiasil Uradir was taking? When I asked about it, you tried to take a neutral point of view and concluded saying that the Silver Council approved of him remaining as okarir'tir. How are you planning to act if such impurity rises again? Will you stand by and say 'I can't do anything', again?"

"Olrin, we have not properly met. I do agree to the points you bring forward and the restoration of maehr'sae hiylun'ehya, purity and safety which you have in mind. However, good ideas do not make you a good candidate for the position in of itself. You are not a sillumir and lack the shared experience Valorin and Ellisar can call upon. Were you to be elected, what are your plans to bridge this gap between you and the other officers and sillumiran?"

Alluin, having finished his personal questions, crossed his arms with a small frown. "And, lastly, a question for all of you. Recently there have been worrying developments in our Blessed Bastion. All of you mention maehr'sae hiylun'ehya and purity. However, corruption and impurity are gaining presence, and every day more 'thill seem to fall in its grasp. What does everyone of the candidates think their place and responsibility is in this situation: a situation of rising mental impurity, of mali'thill befriending Azdrazi, valahan and sentient tree-creatures, shortly, lessers, a situation in which we allow another nation to threaten us and back down, a situation in which even the acid pits have been removed?" His voice was sharper at the last few sentences, afterwards sitting down to allow the candidates to answer his questions.

6yPSgeLipTQBgueaajSTmwIQ78H6GKsuuBKjqwAA

separ.png

Olrin once again rose to address Alluin, his eyes trailing the other elf as he walked towards the pedestal and took his position.

"Foremostly, it would be prudent of you to ponder before speaking, llir. My duty to the Sillumir has been maintained for nigh half a century, e'er since I came to rejoin my kin within the Bastion of Elcihi'thilln. The relationship I aspire to achieve with all members of the Esillumiran is one of trust and brotherhood, for we have devoted ourselves to the full protection and defense of those we cherish - the mali'thill of Haelunm'or." He replied boldly, his gaze still affixed to he who had questioned him.

"You are right, however. Our consorting with lessers is a dilemma, particularly when we have simply stepped down and allowed them to assume authority. We are not to grovel before them as some sheep, for we are are the true epitome of those who roam this mortal plane - perfection incarnate. And it would be tragic, truly, to permit such perfection to be tarnished by the doings of lesser, inferior peoples. I would go so far as to even bring about a resurgence in the application of Acid Pits, for such a tradition had maintained our purity to a far greater extent in ages past." Olrin would conclude, drawing in a breath as he sat back down to permit the next person respond. 

EllisarForum.thumb.png.59a92ecd8d5c8aeb5ca535b4856c5612.png

separ.png

Ellisar would remain in the square to answer the asked questions. Turning to Alluin, he would offer the following reply.

"Alluin, I wasn't going to question my commanding officer in public and in uniform when we had that discussion. Though let me be clear today, once and for all. I followed the guidance of the Maheral, Sohaer and the majority of council. Celiasil Uradir has earned my respect and was acting with the support of our government. I had my doubts, which I brought to Celiasil privately and had resolved. The rule of law is most important to any functioning society and nothing was determined to be illegal, despite your opinion on the matter. To answer your question: were it to happen again, I would follow the law as determined by the council. If a law is broken, I would enforce it."

"As to your question to all of us, yes, there have been unfortunate problems. Bandits, violent criminals and strange creatures have caused these problems. Unfortunately, dealing with such things is part of being open to the world. If we, as a nation, wish to trade, interact and participate in this world we must remain open. None of our citizens are conducting inappropriate relationships with lessers that I am aware of, no mali'ata are being born within our walls. If carrying on a casual acquaintance with a non 'thill is to be considered impurity how will we function? How will we maintain alliances necessary to our security? How will we trade for goods? I believe you see our doom in something that is a simple necessity of being a nation on the global stage. Don't marry your trading partner or the valah soldier you train with and we'll maintain our most sacred and valued purity. As concerns the Azdrazi, they are bound to us by the Pact. They have fought with us in battles to preserve Mali'thill lives and values. The Titan himself healed my wounds while I was helping to defend the city. To forestall your concern, no I do not worship him. I recognize that we have signed an agreement and they have shown their value to Haelun'or. To summarize my long winded answer: we must safeguard our purity but this must be balanced by realism."

Ellisar would catch his breath after such a long response and await any further questions, remaining in the square.

elec.thumb.png.d6b7c49aa88548ad340858b7f9d05a82.png

separ.png.2f3873e3afe74ce259a5abd04357b8c9.png

Valorin listens intently while Alluin speaks and asks the candidates his questions. His tone is clear when he replies. "Whether the passage of time or a difference in methodology, the factors that originated division among Sillumiran are many and complex. My answer may seem simplistic superficially; however, it has been given much thought over the years with the counsel and guidance of the wisest and most learned Mali'thillan. I have interviewed many citizens, Sillumir or ne, and their hopes and concerns fueled my attempt to run for the Seat. Now is the time when we must set down what does not function and blaze a new trail with the tempered wisdom of experience. I have a three-step plan."

The younger Elf raises his hand and leave three fingers in the air for a moment.  "If we are to fix the root problems plaguing us as a military and legal institution, we must adopt a most rigorous physical and psychological reform. We must first empower the citizenry to represent themselves in elheial’tuva, the People's Council, so that we may hear their voices once again. The constitution validates and protects our citizens and their right to speak and be heeded. For too long have we been deaf. There has been much discontent regarding the proverbial road we're traveling on yet earnest and pure 'thillan are scared to speak up." He counts down one of the fingers, leaving two raised.

"Second, we must rewrite our handbooks and protocols; discipline, honor, and service to the people and elcihi'thill must be our top priority. We have long fueled the industry for war, stockpiling weapons-grade materials, and forging them into arms and armor for our ranks; as we should for there are many threats, old and new, in this land of Almaris. However..." Valorin sighs slightly, shaking his head. "However, our recruits leave much to be desired. They have the will, the disposition, but remain in a concerning stage of raw ore. Diamonds in the rough. With so many Elves barely of age, if at all, filling our ranks there must be concentrated efforts to prepare them for the eventuality of war. I have drafted, to that end, a three-step training regimen involving Basic, Advanced, and Specialized curriculum. The intent is to build bridges and foment brotherhood among our Sillumiran, not burning them. These new protocols would comprise a double-pronged approach with lectures, physical training, and simulated combat scenarios. I hope we can continue working alongside our allies to adopt even the newest strategies of the Second Age with the might of High Elvendom." 

The Tahorren takes a deep breath before resuming. His hand now displays only one finger. "Third, working closely with San'evarir, we will offer an array of open debates and lectures on Maehr'sae Hiylun'ehya. The intent is to dispel extreme or incorrect interpretations of our most important racial tenets and why they must be preserved; superseding impurity of the mind with discipline and clarity. Only if they understand what we exist for, shall Haleriran learn and our blessed officers be reminded to become the very best among all Pure and Blessed High Elves."

Valorin Celia'thilln bows his head in gratitude. "Ahernan for the time and opportunity to hear our citizens."