Animal Guides; Understanding Hefrumm vol.I

mateolog

[!] a plain leather bound book, its cover simple and unexceptional. If one were to open the book they would be able to smell the aroma of a temperate forest, and cactus green coming from the pages.

EU8SeEZfB30J87fqykVGavsSXteclcxs9fyxSULEGjQMPR6jubS9OlOx0YV5CcArcYVp3Ja20Q8lz60pfdIETIzrn1DghN1eaL33lWnzaFVno2j0P6SfXWOtbdM97-j_jiXFV_o2

Animal Guides, Understanding Hefrumm vol.I

Baldin 'Ironside' Frostbeard

9m0Dhb4l4FYMX0v-8MkylspkbzH8tgk_9Twfn8bJshn9tPynz5TUNfv4Rnm5fEUgAxllKoeVivaOLZZMw4GObEoXVvlHuV--Lt_Qo3L44JXTbVA0s-Uuo8KrTNgam2to1TMifAHA

In my time living among and marrying a hefrumm I have witnessed first hand their traditions and ways. On one hand it has shown to be alien in some aspects, to a agnarumm like myself. On the other hand, hefrumm like agnarumm have shown to be able to look at our world and look beyond to develop a deeper interaction with it. The relevant example and the one that will be looked into in this paper are animal guides in hefrumm.

xbuT1x7dhs1WhlZd-BKABB6fz9WhMhHVP7FTSOQRD5WnD9csf1lQq3r5FQ_-P-3xN5-OcP-46bHCg5zvKZdwu6ZSWzyGEbFyiI62PdNDwmkFYc7gNFpSg16RoeLr4WHEXjoSEWdh
[!] Depiction of Fraye Cottonwood and her bear companion.

To make it clear to you fellow reader, animal guide is a term I will be using to avoid the use of the word pet, as they are not the same and I do not wish to offend any hefrumm.

As per tradition acquiring an animal companion is a step taken by many dwarves of Hefrumm in their process to maturity. Some clans even have the process in their trials, seeing it as a crucial part to understand hefrumm culture. To hefrumm an animal companion is not just a pet. They are a lifelong companion, one that receives the affection of their dwarf and returns it, just as showing affection towards the Tribunal and the things they influence will result in receiving the attention and affection of the Tribunal.

1okCgP1xY8n6ma_EZeD5voApY5TubxQhPSlGH1MFf9D2S3LulZUkEs3tBOnUBBXJGcWlTKUtJoE0gweBmDG7EqlcttNW1kiAEsCNWI4PUekgxZF4ykdOF1kAQvVnu7gOtFv5tNp4
[!] Depiction of a Cottonwood and her wolf companions.

The tradition of animal guides is not ancient, nor is it new. It was Paragon Bjor Cottonwood who started the tradition when he fought and subdued the great boar of Atlas. Despite their fight the two beings saw the connection that linked them to Anbella and to each other. The boar became the Paragon’s greatest ally and close friend. Bjor loved the animal so much he used the boar’s image as the sigil of the Cottonwoods, so that the spirit of the animal could guide his descendants. With time Bjor’s boar died of old age, happy and fulfilled. 

-t8nWbq3PvGq-TNKzhK3v0Te9NDolVcWmQJrNhmEIiASc_gBXRlPvgjbsDnaRc19CAPN9XD-g92SDWn1PEnMKDa0PO0wSu67WqpDXJb5nuo-lkSoXxgS_WBaIDczRcaMaPxCAlM5
[!] Depiction of Bjor, the great boar of Atlas, and the boar’s offspring.

The Brathmordakin took pity on the mourning Bjor and one day, the dwarf that would eventually become a paragon met Mr.T. Mr.T was Bjor’s toad companion, the creature never left his beard and like the great Boar of Atlas before it, Mr.T gave Bjor all its love and stayed with him until the end. The love of animal companions towards their hefrumm friends would be clear to anyone that witnessed the death of the mighty Bjor Cottonwood. In his last moments as the venom of the alras turned his body to stone, Mr.T stoically stayed in Bjor’s beard, seemingly accepting that Bjor’s death was now certain and that it would die soon be it alone in the woods or stuck inside the dwarf’s beard that was turning to stone. Mr.T chose the later, choosing to valiantly stay with Bjor, spending the last moments of its life mourning its old friend. For days one would be able to hear the quacks coming from inside Bjor’s petrified beard. Each day the quacks would become weaker and weaker, until eventually Mr.T gave its last quack. 

0Wr4-BpK8MGzPCtuAT7LPGStrrPduY02C0R8Sa-lmJymUJg-S563jZZAeJ8PQjq2e0eOmWu_MF1iDJn4Vbnys_ra7ZjcvCzaJf5ni4copo4y__sbJBt2ukbZkQYHXvQyNDfMNMzE
[!] Depiction of Bjor depicting Mr.T.

I have witnessed dwarves of all kinds have pets and mascots that they deeply cherish, and with the clear exception of the Irehearts and their wolves I have not seen any other group of dwarf that has such a close relationship with the creatures of this realm. Hefrumm are truly fascinating, their written culture can be read in a fortnight, but their rich oral ways, and their seemingly heightened sense of compassion are things that enable them to amaze even the most learned dwarf.

VPeOsTZIWiWpJDLPdaNdMKzepgjWnYbgFiRzkPFjcAM51NKFts4wfb7NroxRcHhO5DT9CxJXwI3xA9jjROgysq02mK0M0URV0JZJCWo1dPUJFlkg8gjMCVd8SzcrO7IqxxwR4Zfk
[!] Depiction of Knud ridding the great snail of Hefrumm.

9m0Dhb4l4FYMX0v-8MkylspkbzH8tgk_9Twfn8bJshn9tPynz5TUNfv4Rnm5fEUgAxllKoeVivaOLZZMw4GObEoXVvlHuV--Lt_Qo3L44JXTbVA0s-Uuo8KrTNgam2to1TMifAHA