The Soldier's Prayer-Book

THE SOLDIER’S PRAYER BOOK

By Fr. Pius of Sutica, FSSCT, Assistant Priest at Dobrov.

m3tlwf-3AUebfHpBP1cym-Yk1qi_mOgePLN9OAhaHq_xgF6iFNpPlt1xJR5NmJjD_fEQW7Gfl6PAtaI_gOiHUuUC1V4VlF2bkFh907dOR4CaV7IBHChFEjM_T7rPp6GJgkBTnw7w

St. Edmond, Model of Soldiers, Pray for us.

INTRODUCTION. WHAT IS PRAYER, AND WHY PRAY?

SOLDIER, why do you need prayer? Perhaps you have been taught to memorise and parrot prayers from your childhood. Maybe it is a habit that has been worked into you; or a habit you have lost. But what are you praying for? What about? And why? 

If you believe that God, the one Being alone Sovereign and Supreme, derives any benefit from you saying a few words in His honour, you are deluded. It is evidently not God who stands in need of prayer: it is you. He is all-blessed within Himself and existed before all time, before all prayer. No. It is rather God who wants us to pray for our benefit, for your benefit. 

One spiritual writer compares it to little children who bring daffodils to show their affection for their mother. Does the mother need the daffodils? She doesn’t need them. Do the children need to give them? Certainly!

What’s the point of a war if you don’t have virtue? It’s a waste of courage and of lives. How can men expect to win peace on the outside through force of arms if they have not peace on the inside? They cannot. A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. If you do not have love, all your battles are vain miseries. It is clear that to fight the battle without but not the battle within is but an empty victory.

How are we to receive these virtues? The answer is very simple. We have enough moral codes, but we ourselves are powerless to enforce them. The history books burst open with examples of men who started with good intentions and sank into evil. They thought they could pull themselves up to supreme virtue by the lobes of their own ears. But you can’t. You need help. And who better to help you than the Source of the Virtue Himself? 

That is why we pray, so that, by communion with God, we may be filled with His mercy, goodness and truth.

Prayer is simply this, the raising of the will and the intellect - or the heart and the mind, if you prefer, to God. That is what prayer is. And we do it, to receive His impressions on our souls, so that, by being open to His sovereign will, we may be filled abundantly with virtues. Only then will you be a true soldier in the cause of right. Therefore, do not only pray vocal prayers, but meditate, and raise your heart and mind to God, and allow Him to lift you up.

The one way to prevent a war is to make a war. And not a war against our enemies, but a war against ourselves; to unsheathe the sword, and to unsheathe it not against the enemy we hate, but to unsheathe it against ourselves and all that is base and vile! And when that war is won within each and every one of us, we will have won not just the war, but the peace too, the only thing that makes the war worth fighting. 

I.EXHORTATION TO VIRTUE.

Soldier, I would like you to realise just how utterly privileged and important and loved you are. At your Baptism, God through his Holy Angel poured at the Waters of Gamesh abundantly into your soul. This not only cleansed you, but made you a Prophet.

Yes, I will repeat, your Baptism makes you a Prophet. You receive the selfsame Baptism which Horen received at his calling to the Prophethood. You, like him, become part of God’s spiritual family, the Church. You are part of His household: you are His beloved son. Of course, you do not receive revelations, as that work is now complete. But the immense dignity of the Prophethood is there, because you have received exactly the same as Horen received - you are yourself a spiritual Horen. And if you keep the same virtue as he received, then you too can be destined for that eternal glory which was promised him. 

II.THOUGHTS FOR SOLDIERS.

When I begin to be infinitely wicked and God ceases to be infinitely merciful, then I have a right to despair.

If I’m wounded, it’s back to my country. If I’m killed, it’s the Skies. 

I won’t fear the enemy who can kill my body and not my soul.

He can kill me, but he can’t do me any real harm.

I am not fighting to preserve the old world that existed before the war. If I were, I would be fighting to preserve the world that produced this very war. The new world must be a better world than that, or it is not worth fighting for. And the new reign of peace must start in my soul.

If God be with us, there is no one else left to fear.

How can I make sure God is with me? Go to Confession, pray, and give alms.

There is something called the Prayer of Action. If I do everything for the sake of the love of God, whether it be listening to a dull conversation, cleaning armour, writing a letter, sharpening a sword, practicing archery and so forth, these actions become prayers. 

It is in giving that I receive, because only the empty glass can be filled, not the full one.

There are two ways to have enough. One is to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

I pray not to change God’s will, but my own.

I pray not that God will be on our side, but that we will be on God’s side. 

Prayer of Edgar de Saltpans: God is the author of victories, and in Heaven, there is no difference between but a few and a great many. For our courage is not in the multitude of the army, but strength cometh from Heaven. They come against us with an insolent multitude, and with pride, to destroy us, and our wives and children, and take our lands. But we will fight for our lives and our laws, and as for the enemy, we shall fear them not. We will trust Him.

Death is nothing to fear for the man of God. If I live, I win the crown of courage. If I die, I win the crown of eternal life.

The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

Soldiering is an holy profession if done with virtue. In the Canticle of Fidelity, God bids us maintain order, protecting both the little and the great, for the Lord made both. As a defender of that order, I have a vital place in God’s vision for my country. 

Purity is represented by a sword in Scripture; Virtue is a sword. A sword to be turned in on myself, on everything evil within me. I must, then, think of life like a battle. Every good deed will be a spear-thrust to my Enemy; every chance to practice Virtue or vice like a skirmish with Iblees.

But I’m a fool if I go into that battle armed with a twig. I need to report to Headquarters and get kitted up. That is what prayer is. And maybe I’ll need the reinforcements of Saints and Blesseds to come to my aid.

This day, can I give up one licit pleasure to practise the Virtue of temperance?

III.MORNING PRAYER.

(Crossing yourself.) O God, come to my aid. O Lord, make haste to help me.

OFFERING: My God, I offer to Thy infinite majesty every ounce of my affections, every beat of my heart, every pain and suffering, every good deed, every labour and most of all, I offer Thee my own heart, my body and my soul. Heavenly Father, I trust in Thee.

MORNING PRAYER: In rising, I wish my first thought to be of Thee. I thank Thee for guarding me during the night. During this day, please keep my body from accident, and my soul from sin.

I am far from my family, surrounded by new temptations; please lead and protect me. Bless, please, my commander and my comrades, and above all, bless our king and country. May I serve today as a good soldier. Amen.

PSALM OF VEN. HUMBERT: The Lord ruleth me, I shall want for nothing. He makes me down to lie, in pastures green, He leadeth me, the quiet waters by. For yea, though I should walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil. For thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff, they have been a comfort to me. Thou preparest a table before them that afflicteth me: thou anointest my head with oil, O, how goodly it is! Thy loving kindness shall pursue me all the days of my life: that I might dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

PSALM FOR INCREASE IN VIRTUE: Bow down Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am poor, and in misery. Preserve Thou the soul of thy servant, for I am holy: my God, save thy servant that putteth his trust in Thee.

Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I will call daily upon Thee. For Thou, O Lord, art good and gracious: and of great mercy unto all them that call upon Thee. 

COLLECT: O Almighty and everlasting God, who hast, by Thy mercy, safely brought us to the beginning of this day: defend us in the same by Thy mighty power, that we, surely trusting in Thy defence, may not fear the power of any of Thy adversaries.

Grant, O Lord, an increase in our Faith in Thy promises, our Hope in Thy mercies and our Love of Thy infinite goodness, that we may be docile to receive an increase in all the Virtues. Amen. 

THERE OUGHT TO FOLLOW THE LITANY TO A SAINT HERE. (SEE SECTION V.)

RESOLUTION OF VEN. HUMBERT: God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another. I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next. I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.

He has not created me for naught. I shall do good; I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments.

Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him. If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers. He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about.”

Exalted Horen, pray for us.

Saint Julia, pray for us.

Saint Edmond, pray for us.

(Crossing yourself:) May the Divine assistance remain always with us. Amen.

IV.EVENING PRAYER.

(Crossing yourself:) O God, come to my aid. O Lord, make haste to help me.

EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE: Spend a couple of minutes examining your day and ask God help you to reveal if you have committed any sin, however small. Examine your actions, thoughts and words against the Virtues. (Faith, Charity, Temperance, Diligence, Patience, Fidelity; Humility.) The Church requires Canonists to go to Confession and receive Absolution every year. (II.III.II.1)

GENERAL CONFESSION: Almighty and most merciful Father; I have erred, and strayed from Thy ways like a lost sheep. I have followed too much the devices and desires of my own heart. I have offended against Thy holy laws. I have left undone those things which I ought to have done, and I have done those things which I ought not to have done; and there is no health in me. But Thou, O Lord, have mercy upon me, a miserable offender. Spare Thou me who am penitent; according to the promises vouchsafed unto mankind by the Holy Prophets. And grant, O most merciful Father, that I might hereafter live a godly, righteous and sober life, to the glory of Thy holy Name. Amen.

(Crossing yourself:) May Almighty God, in having mercy upon us, forgive us our sins, and lead us to everlasting life. Amen.

EVENING PSALM: Whoso dwelleth under the defence of the Most High, shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say unto the Lord: Thou art my hope, and my stronghold; my God, in Him will I trust.

For He shall deliver thee from the snare of the hunter, and from the noisome pestilence.

He shall defend thee under His wings, and Thou shalt be safe under his feathers; His faithfulness and truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Thou shalt not be afraid of any terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day.

For the pestilence that walketh in darkness, nor for the sickness that destroyeth in the noon-day.

A thousand shall fall beside thee, and ten thousand at thy right hand: but it shall come not nigh thee.

Yea, with thine eyes thou shalt behold: and see the reward of the ungodly.

For Thou, Lord, art my hope: Thou hast set Thine house of defence very high.

There shall no evil happen unto thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

They shall bear thee in their hands, that thou hurt not thy foot against a stone.

Thou shalt go upon the lion and the adder: the young lion and the dragon thou shalt trample under thy feet.

Because he hath set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him up, because he hath known My Name.

He shall call upon Me, and I shall hear him; yea, I am with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and bring him to honour.

With long life will I satisfy him: and show him My salvation.

COLLECT: O God, merciful Father, that despisest not the sighing of a contrite heart, nor the desire of such as be sorrowful; Mercifully assist our prayers that we make before Thee in all our troubles and adversities, whensoever they oppress us; and graciously hear us, that those evils, which the craft and subtilty of the Evil One or man worketh against us, be brought to nought, and also that by the providence of Thy goodness they may be dispersed; that we Thy servants, being hurt by no persecutions, may evermore give thanks unto thee in thy Holy Church, Amen.

THERE OUGHT TO FOLLOW THE LITANY OF A SAINT HERE.

PRAYER FOR PROTECTION DURING THE NIGHT: Lighten our darkness, we beseech Thee, O Lord; and by Thy great mercy defend us from all the perils and dangers of this night; for love of us, Amen. 

Exalted Horen, pray for us.

Saint Julia, pray for us.

Saint Edmond, pray for us.

(Crossing yourself:) May the Divine assistance remain always with us. Amen.

V.DEVOTIONS TO THE SAINTS.

Litany of Saint Edmond. (Ven. Humbert.)

C : God, Creator of the Earth.

R: Have mercy on us!

C : God, who judgeth the dead.

C : God, Almighty King.

C : Model of Knights.

R: Pray for us.

C : Father of Chivalry.

C : Hero of Mankind.

C : Soldier Most Honourable.

C : Father of Orphans.

C : Protector of Widows.

C : Champion of the poor.

C : Who didst grant mercy to the prisoner…

C : Who didst observe discipline…

C : Who wast ever loyal to thy emperor…

God, Almighty King.

R: Have mercy on us.

Litany of Saint Harald Vullier.

C : God, Creator of the Earth.

C : God, Almighty King.

C : Bishop of the battlefield,

C : Refuge of the dead,

C : Mighty commander,

C : Brave leader,

C : Noble brother,

C : Student of the Scrolls,

C : Flower of the Priesthood,

C : Who didst mourn the battle-dead tenderly…

C : Who didst laugh in the face of danger…

C : Who didst lead thy fellow-soldiers in prayer…

C : Who didst rigorously prepare for Ordination…

C : Who didst defend  thy falsely-accused sister…

C : Who didst die a martyr for the love of souls.

C : Whom demons fear.

God, Almighty King.

Litany of Saint Emma.

C : God, Almighty King.

Crusher of heresy

Avenger of the weak

Model of Faith

Beacon of Hope

Warrior of Charity

Strength of the Little

Enemy of Schism

Boast of the Adrians

Who didst follow the call of God without fail…

Who, while but a young girl, didst overcome multitudes by Faith…

Who didst yield in humility the battleplan…

Who didst bring victory to Holy Church…

Who didst shed thy blood in martyrdom…

God, Almighty King.

Litany of Saint Catherine. (Ven. Humbert)

C : Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice onto him with trembling.

R: Embrace discipline, lest at any time the Lord be angry, and you perish from the just way.

C : When his wrath shall be kindled in a short time, blessed are they that trust in him.

C : God, who judgeth the dead.

C : Seat of Wisdom.

C : Comforter of the Afflicted.

C : Refuge of Sinners.

C : Lady most pure.

C : Lady of peace.

C : Flower of charity.

C : Pattern of humility.

C : Who didst observe celibacy in thy marriage...

C : Who didst embrace learning, but not vanity... 

C Who didst give so generously, counting the needs of others but never the cost to thyself...

C Who didst embrace the rejected...

Litany of Saint Godwin. (Cardinal Goren.)

C : Son of Horen.

R: Pray for us!

C : King of Aaun. 

C : Father of Owyn.

C : Leader of souls.

C : Thou, who didst banish demons.

C : Enemy of ghosts.

C : Friend of Exorcists.

C : Saint Godwin.

VI.PRAYERS USED AT SEA.

DAILY PRAYER. O Eternal Lord God, who alone spreadest out the heavens, and rulest the raging of the sea; who hast compassed the waters with bounds until day and night come to an end; Be pleased to receive into Thy Almighty and most gracious protection the persons of us Thy servants, and the Fleet in which we serve. Preserve us from the dangers of the sea, and from the violence of the enemy; that we may safeguard our most gracious Sovereign King, and his Dominions, and a security for such as pass on the seas upon their lawful occasions, and so all of our country dwell in peace and quietness with a thankful remembrance of thy Holy Name; Amen.

COLLECT. Prevent us, O Lord, in all our doings, with Thy most gracious favour, and further us with Thy continual help; that in all our works begun, continued and ended in Thee, we may glorify Thy Holy Name, and receive everlasting life. Amen.

BEFORE A SEA-BATTLE. O most powerful and glorious Lord God, the Lord of hosts, that rulest and commandest all things; Thou sittest in the throne judging right, and therefore we make our address to Thy Divine Majesty in this, our necessity, that thou wouldst take the cause into Thine own hand, and judge between us and our enemies. Stir up Thy strength, O Lord, and come and help us, for Thou givest not alway the battle to the strong, but canst save by many or by few. O let not our sins now cry against us for vengeance; but hear us Thy poor servants begging mercy, and imploring Thy help, and that Thou wouldst be a defence unto us against the face of the enemy. Amen.

SHORT PRAYER IN RESPECT OF A STORM. Thou, O Lord, that stillest the raging of the sea, hear, hear us, and save us, that we perish not.

LONGER PRAYER IN THE SAME. O most powerful and glorious Lord God, at whose command the winds blow, and lift up the waves of the sea, and who stillest the rage thereof; We Thy creatures, but miserable sinners, do in this, our great distress, cry unto Thee for help, or else we perish. 

VII.PRAYERS FOR VARIOUS USES.

THANKSGIVING AFTER A BATTLE.  Almighty God, the Sovereign Commander of all the world, in whose hand is power and might which none is able to withstand; We bless and magnify Thy great and glorious Name for this happy Victory, the whole glory whereof we do ascribe to Thee, who art the only Giver of victory. And, we beseech Thee, give us grace to improve this great mercy to Thy glory, the advancement of the Canon, the honour of our Sovereign, and, as much as in us lieth, to the good of all men. Grant us, Lord,  such a sense of this great mercy, as may engage us to a true thankfulness, such as may appear in our lives by an humble, holy and obedient walking before Thee, to Whom be all honour and glory, Amen. 

FOR THE WOUNDED. (Cardinal Goren.)      Dear GOD, most singular, most merciful, who presides over the fates of all men. Thou hast chosen this man to be stricken. Grant him peace, knowing that he has done all he can, and that this be Thy will. Soothe his soul, O Lord, as the time for fear is over, the time for regret has passed. Keep this brave soul close, for he has fought well, and by his presence this world has been made better. Rest his fiery spirit, and grant him strength to live that our world might continue to be bettered by his presence. Let his thoughts turn to Thee, and may he know Thy Love and Mercy. In Your name we pray, Amen.

DURING A HARD CAMPAIGN. (Ven. Humbert.) God, do not let us freeze to death, grant unto us bountiful rations, and permit us to see home once more. If not, for Thou knowest best, cast merciful eyes upon us, granting repose to our dead, and lift up all the dead of this bloody war into their Heavenly Home. Amen.

CONTRITION BEFORE BATTLE. (Cardinal Goren.) Holy God, I have sinned in thought and in flesh. Thou art mercy, Thou art goodness, Thou art charity. With my own weeping spirit do I acknowledge that I have offended Thee. I know my sin, and do in Thy Name enact righteous penance as did Exalted Owyn. Forgive Thou me, O Fount of mercy, and accept my penance, that my spirit might return to a place of purity, and that I may strive to love Thee and do Thy will in all things. Amen. 

FOR COURAGE. Saint Edmond, model of all knights, possess me not with fear; grant me peace and strength in the hour of battle. Let God think not on my faults but on my potential. I swear that if I come through this day with courage, I will strive to embody the honour that thou didst: I shall show clemency to the prisoner, give succour to the widow and spare the peasant. Amen.

SHORT PRAYERS. It is good to have many short prayers on your lips at all times. An excellent and most laudable practice is to invoke a Saint, by saying, for example “Saint Kristoff, pray for us!” Another good short prayer is “May the Name of the Lord be praised”, good especially when His name is blasphemed; “My God; I love Thee, make me love Thee more”; “Saint Catherine, succour me”, “Holy Angel, protect me”, “My Lord and my God”; “Blessed be God”; “Blessed be His Holy Name”; “Blessed be God in His Angels and in His Saints”; “My God, have mercy”; “Lord have mercy on us”; “Have mercy on me, a sinner”; “Lord, prosper Thou my work;” “Lord, increase my [Virtue]”; “Lord, deliver us from evil.” You may also make what is called an “Act” of some Virtue. For example, an Act of Humility “Thou, my God, must increase and I must decrease.”

FOR PEACE. Saint Amyas, the ravages of war, plague and famine hath assailed us all too much. Pray for God’s mercy, that we may be spared of these evils, and that we may, with perfect Charity, strive to avoid them. Amen.

FOR OUR KING. We beseech Thee, O almighty God, that Thy servant, [name], who has by Thy mercy taken the government of these realms, may advance in all virtues; that being adorned therewith, he may be able to avoid the enormity of sins and to come to Thee, who art the way, the truth and the life. Amen.

MISERERE. (VEN. HUMBERT) Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy. And according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies, blot out my iniquity. Wash me yet more from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my iniquity, and my sin is always before me. 

To Thee alone have I sinned, and have done evil before Thee: that Thou mayst be justified in Thy lessons and may overcome when Thou art judged. For behold I was conceived in iniquities; and in sins did my mother conceived me. Behold, Thou hast treasured truth: the uncertain and hidden things of Thy wisdom, Thou hast made manifest to me. 

Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow. To my hearing Thou shalt give joy and happiness: and the bones which have been humbled shall rejoice.

Turn away Thy face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create a clean heart in me, O God: renew a right spirit in my bowels. Cast me not away from Thy face, and take not Thy holy ghost away from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and strengthen me with a perfect spirit. I will teach the unjust Thy ways, and the wicked shall be converted to Thee.

Deliver me from blood, O God, Thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall extol Thy justice! O Lord, Thou wilt open my lips, and my mouth shall spew forth Thy praise! For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would indeed have given it: with burnt offerings Thou wilt not be delighted. A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise. Deal favourably, O Lord, in Thy good will with Oren; that the walls of Helena might be built up.

Then shalt Thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations, and incense: then they shall lay the bells at the altar.

JUDICA ME. (VEN. HUMBERT) Judge me, O God, and discern my cause from the nation that is not holy; deliver me from the unjust and disobedient man. For Thou art God, my strength, why hast Thou cast me off? And why do I go sorrowful whilst the foe afflicteth me? Send forth Thy light and Thy truth: they hath conducted me, and brought me unto Thy holy hill, and into thy tabernacles. And I will go unto the altar of God, to God who giveth joy to my youth! To Thee, O God, I will give praise upon the harp: why art thou sad, o my soul? Why does thou distress me?

Hope in God, for I will still give praise to Him: the salvation of my will, and my God.

VIII.THE ENDURING POWER OF SILENCE.

You are mistaken, soldier, if you believe that prayer is simply parotting vocal prayers like the ones listed here. If prayer, as I have defined it, is the raising of the will and intellect toward God, then it requires the engagement of those faculties. It does not, by the way, need emotional engagement. If you feel dry or have no great feelings of devotion, do not be distressed, even if you feel great feelings of discouragement in prayer. In fact, a prayer offered in these circumstances may be more meritorious than one done with positive emotions, because the man who still prays in that circumstance does it out of a purer love rooted in the will, and not passing feelings. 

Raise your needs to God. Open your heart to Him. 

Now to do this, we must have silence. How are we supposed to know ourselves, let alone God, if we are constantly busied by noise? How much silence is there in your life? Not enough, if you’re not setting aside time in the day for silent prayer.

What do I pray about? You can pray about your needs, you can pray to know God’s will, and so on, anything really. The amazing thing about prayer is that, despite knowing our needs already, God delights in letting us nag Him about them. This ought to be done with resignation and humility. Another means of mental prayer is to meditate. This can be done on the texts of the Scrolls, as Ven. Olivier was known to do, or on the Dogmas of the Faith. 

IX.DEVOTIONS FOR CONFESSION.

We talked before about life as battle in the pursuit of goodness. Virtue is our sword which we turn inwards, unsheathing it against what is base and vile. And as I say, every moment of the day is a battleground. Be sober and watchful. 

But sometimes we get full of ourselves. You’ve no doubt seen inexperienced soldiers rush into battle against orders. In the same way, we think we can conquer sin without God’s help, and we fall. The peculiar thing about Iblees is this: before we sin, he convinces us that the sin is no big deal and can be easily repented of anyway. After the sin, he tries to drive us to despair, and convince us that it is unforgivable.

Fortunately, there is Something more powerful and wise than Iblees, so you don’t have a right to despair. Losing a skirmish doesn’t mean the war is lost, especially with an ally like God on your side. You’ve taken a few bruises, sure. But report back to headquarters and you’ll find the finest Physician it’s possible to know. And, as Ven. Humbert said, your accumulated injuries cannot surpass the skill of that Physician. 

That Headquarters is what the Church has traditionally called Confession, but really has two parts, your Confession, and the Priest, acting as a mediator for God, absolving you from your sins. After that, comes penance. But even the resolution to do penance is sufficient for you, through the Holy Church, to be totally cleansed of all your sins. God is truly marvelous beyond compare!

I: Examination. Go thoroughly over the time since your last Confession. Reckon up all transgressions, however minor or major you believe them to be, since that time, against the Seven Virtues, against God and neighbour. 

II: Contrition. Contrition is sorrow for sin; it means we, with our wills, turn away from sin and resolve never to sin again. There are two types of contrition: imperfect and perfect. Imperfect contrition is contrition because we fear punishment. Perfect contrition is contrition because we love God, and are sorry for having offended Him. Both are valid, but perfect contrition is higher. The difference may be summarised as a boy and a girl who wrong their mother. The boy says: “I’m sorry mummy, I suppose I wouldn’t be able to have sweets tonight.” The girl says: “Mummy, I’m sorry I hurt you”, and just throws herself on the mother. Make an act of Perfect Contrition: 

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee,

and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell,

But most of all because they have offended Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love.

I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace,

to confess my sins,

to do penance,

and to amend my life. Amen.

III: Confession. Tell your sins, plainly to the Priest. Do not be afraid or embarrassed. He is bound very strictly to keep the information secret, and he has probably heard much worse. He’ll probably have forgotten about your sins within the hour.

IV: Advice and penance. Listen carefully as the Priest gives you advice and proscribes a penance.

V: The Priest should then absolve you. The most common Act of Absolution is this: “God, the Father of mercy, hath, through the authority of the Prophets, instituted a sacred priesthood for the administration of the Sacraments and for the remission of sins. In union with the Exalted, Saints and Angels in the Skies, and all the faithful departed, and on the authority of said priesthood, I do absolve thee from thy sins in the name of the God, the Almighty Father. Thy sins are all forgiven: go in peace!”

X.APPENDIX: THE CODE OF CHIVALRY.

Revised by Ser Maric II Varodyr, 1470. 

A Knight shall live by honour, for glory, and guard the honour of fellow Knights.

Honour The Creator and maintain His Temple.

Keep faithful and act in righteousness.

He shall serve his liege Lord with valour and conviction.

Persevere to the end in any quest begun and never turn his back upon a foe.

-=-

A Knight shall not give wanton offense and shall despise monetary reward.

Give succour to widows and orphans and regard the honor of women.

He shall offer that which is not needed, to those who are needy.

And safeguard the helpless and uphold the weak.

-=-

A Knight shall respect those in authority but fight for the welfare of all.

Abstain from injustice, cruelty and deceit.

He shall be vigilant and show courage, even in the face of evil.

Resolve not with swords what can be with words.

And at all times speak the truth, even if faced with death.

Edited by thesmellypocket

Father Dima Carrion, FSSCT chanted softly the prayers with his wife after receiving a copy from the hieromonk himself. Part of him felt a deep sadness that his life had turned from one in pursuit of knighthood to one in pursuit of God through the priesthood. After finishing their morning prayers, he reconciled in himself that this path was needed. He thought, at first, that perhaps the life path was needed for the obvious purpose of needing to be a vessel of the Holy Immortal One to nurture His flock. While that was true, he also knew that this life path was needed for himself as well. The hieromonk's wisdom and prayers helped blossom his marriage, but also create an aura of peace within his daily life. Had he chosen a life as a knight, the two would seldom speak to each other-- if at all-- for he only sought out the hieromonk for discernment on priesthood at the monastery originally. At last, the priest offered a silent prayer for the Elf-Priest for his continued health and for his salvation.

Father Alfred , now a former warrior with much experience, looks at Father Pius' work with a smile and attention, leafing through the pages of the book he received as a copy of  "Impeccable ... any person, whether a soldier or nicht, should reward himself with a copy like this. To be honest, ich didn't expect anything less from a man like this, who knows how to surprise with his unpredictable thoughts und interesting deeds.."  the elderly priest says, caressing his son with a smile as he shows him a book worth reading.

Goren smiles, thumbing through the work. "Bless you Father Pius." Goren then gently sets the parchments down, shakily and slowly penning a letter to the good Father.

"Dear Pius,

I am honored by the inclusion of a few of my penned prayers in this great work. May the Lord shine upon you forever and ever, and His manifold blessings fall upon your brow as the Waters of Gamesh. Would you mind if I transcribed this work into a pamphlet which can be distributed to libraries and soldiers on the battlefield?

with utmost respect,

Goren"

Edited by Lojo613

11 hours ago, Lojo613 said:

Goren smiles, thumbing through the work. "Bless you Father Pius." Goren then gently sets the parchments down, shakily and slowly penning a letter to the good Father.

"Dear Pius,

I am honored by the inclusion of a few of my penned prayers in this great work. May the Lord shine upon you forever and ever, and His manifold blessings fall upon your brow as the Waters of Gamesh. Would you mind if I transcribed this work into a pamphlet which can be distributed to libraries and soldiers on the battlefield?

with utmost respect,

Goren"

"Most Reverend Father,

I am delighted and thankful to hear of your request, and am happy to grant my consent.

I remain your humble servant,

Father Pius."