hello! new player here

invaderaldi

hi everyone! i'm may (you can also call me aldi if you want) and i'm a new player, just wanted to introduce myself on here. i'm really into writing, historical fashion/interior design, and reading (psychological horror has been the genre of choice recently). always looking to chat w people w similar interests!

currently i'm rping as a wood elf. i have a little experience with dnd but nothing serious, so i'm kind of a noob at this whole thing but i'm excited to learn & improve!

p.s. yesterday was super fun @ everyone i rped with and who helped me navigate! i feel very welcome here already~ ❤️ 

pog

Hope you have fun on here, make sure to ask around if you've any questions - or whatnot. Happy RPing!

Also, Whisper of the Heart is an amazing movie. Nice choice in pfps

Yeah, welcome!! Good luck to you. I main high elves now, but I was also a wood elf starter. Elves in general good. I'm sure you'll learn and grow quickly, it's really just about building a solid base for your character's interactions with the world. When I create personas I think a lot about how they'd react to mundane or even emotional things, as often my character's reaction to events will inform what they want to do about it.

Less so than figuring out specific goals (but those are good too) I figure out who my person is and then they find opportunities through their traits and also gain new traits by exploring their own personality meeting with others. The change is something I welcome after I make someone new.

May you continue to have a good time!

10 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Hope you have fun on here, make sure to ask around if you've any questions - or whatnot. Happy RPing!

Also, Whisper of the Heart is an amazing movie. Nice choice in pfps

thank you!! and i also love love love whisper of the heart, it's definitely one of my comfort movies (along with the rest of the ghibli collection ofc) ^ ^

8 minutes ago, Stumpye said:

Yeah, welcome!! Good luck to you. I main high elves now, but I was also a wood elf starter. Elves in general good. I'm sure you'll learn and grow quickly, it's really just about building a solid base for your character's interactions with the world. When I create personas I think a lot about how they'd react to mundane or even emotional things, as often my character's reaction to events will inform what they want to do about it.

Less so than figuring out specific goals (but those are good too) I figure out who my person is and then they find opportunities through their traits and also gain new traits by exploring their own personality meeting with others. The change is something I welcome after I make someone new.

May you continue to have a good time!

thank you for the sound advice! i was mostly referring to the structure of rp and how it's really different from writing normally---no internal dialogue etc etc. difficult to grasp initially but i'm sure i'll warm up to it! 

As an artist Kiki's Delivery Service always makes me super comfy as it deals with motivation and fairly obviously alludes to artistic motivation specifically. Also growing up which is topical too.
Definitely the thing about lack of internal dialogue is notable about RP- You need to be able to have interactivity with your emote so it must be very physical, but I kind of like providing that mystery in my non-dialogue writing. Why'd my character sigh? Why'd she look away? The audience is reeling!

Not so dramatic as that, but still. The fact of it inherently creating intrigue with the lacking presence of my character's internal thoughts is very cool to me sometimes. No 'tips' about that really, that's just how I think about it and figured I'd comment on that aspect too since ya mentioned it.

Welcome to LotC! It's great to have you here! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to DM me on Discord! AnonymousAlexa#1509

17 hours ago, Spoons said:

Thoughts on Porco Rosso though?

Funny you ask, I'm actually in the process of learning The Theme of Marco and Gina on the piano, lol! 

Thoughts, though? Porco Rosso isn't my favorite Ghibli film by far (Princess Mononoke will forever be my #1), but that doesn't mean it doesn't hold a special place in my heart for nostalgic purposes. I'm a sucker for magical realism in general so you can imagine why I'm kind of a Ghibli superfan. It's particularly prevalent in both Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart; I like how Marco being a pig is symbolic of his survivor's guilt, but I do think it could've been taken to another level had there been some exposition at some point in the film explaining how and when he morphed into a pig---nothing too crazy, I just want to know: did he wake up one morning, changed overnight? Or was he in the sky, in his plane? I really think it could've solidified an otherwise ambiguous part of the movie that I remember, as a kid, thinking was confusing. Maybe the ambiguity was intentional---actually, it likely was.

Either way, watching it once I could draw a clearer conclusion was cool, something I've experienced with each Ghibli film since I watched most of them when my brain was small and stupid, only to later rewatch them from an older perspective. I've seen criticism for the open-ending in Porco Rosso as well, and I guess I agree, though it doesn't bother me all that much. Again, I like Marco as a pig and I'm glad we never see what he looks like as a human. 

That was a little longwinded, sorry! Just my two cents on it!

17 hours ago, Stumpye said:

As an artist Kiki's Delivery Service always makes me super comfy as it deals with motivation and fairly obviously alludes to artistic motivation specifically. Also growing up which is topical too.
Definitely the thing about lack of internal dialogue is notable about RP- You need to be able to have interactivity with your emote so it must be very physical, but I kind of like providing that mystery in my non-dialogue writing. Why'd my character sigh? Why'd she look away? The audience is reeling!

Not so dramatic as that, but still. The fact of it inherently creating intrigue with the lacking presence of my character's internal thoughts is very cool to me sometimes. No 'tips' about that really, that's just how I think about it and figured I'd comment on that aspect too since ya mentioned it.

I really like that interpretation of Kiki's Delivery Service---I guess I haven't thought about it enough because, now that you've stated it so clearly, that makes perfect sense. Her getting sick is a literal representation of artist's block/burnout, lol! 

I've been thinking about it, and the other thing about lack of internal dialogue that suddenly made a lot of sense to me was how true to life RP constraints seem to be; I can't read anyone's mind, so I won't ever hear anyone else's internal dialogue, so it's reflected that way in RP. I do agree that it raises the stakes when interacting with other people---isn't the whole point in communicating trying to figure out what's going on in someone else's head? I'm super stoked to explore this more on the server.

7 hours ago, invaderaldi said:

Funny you ask, I'm actually in the process of learning The Theme of Marco and Gina on the piano, lol! 

If you ever do a video, or whatnot, with it. I'd love to hear it! - It's one of my favourite Ghibli movies and it holds a special place in my heart. Just from the bygone days wherein things made sense, and everything was more simple. It's a bittersweet film that tugs on feelings that I didn't know that I had at the time, but it reminded me of my years and old friends - people that I drifted away from and continued to do my thing while they did their own things.

The symbolism with Marco is actually prevalent in a lot of the youth today - their disillusion-ism with current society, themselves and the cynical attitude that's seemed to gripe itself upon us. I'm glad he was able to find purpose and faith in the newer generation in Fio, it was actually rather sweet! 

I've tended to enjoy fantasy-realism as well, moreso fantasy, it's why I enjoy Spirited Away or the Castle in the Sky so much. Personally, I've found movies that're grounded in reality somewhat boring - however, with limitations come creativity which is something that I've realized in the many works that I enjoy.

The unsaid/hidden things, I've tended to enjoy - especially the lack of explanation for Marco's curse. It's kind of a message to no longer look towards the past, and the times of old, but to look towards the present and future instead. It's those people that stay around.

That was a little longwinded, sorry! Just my two cents on it!

Sorry, I don't tend to talk about things that I enjoy about so don't worry. It's all good!

I've been thinking about it, and the other thing about lack of internal dialogue that suddenly made a lot of sense to me was how true to life RP constraints seem to be; I can't read anyone's mind, so I won't ever hear anyone else's internal dialogue, so it's reflected that way in RP. I do agree that it raises the stakes when interacting with other people---isn't the whole point in communicating trying to figure out what's going on in someone else's head?

One thing that I've often enjoyed in people's RP is body language, a prevalent and simple one is folding your arms - which is commonly seen as someone being on the defense. It's these little details and quirks that allow the other RPer to figure out the puzzle that is your character, I recommend giving Body Language a look if you haven't already - it'll actually be really useful in real life, if you're up for learning it. As always, the age old rule is 'Show, don't tell.' - something that I've had a journey of a time trying to figure out! 

Welcome to Lotc!