UPROOTING LIBERALISM

Johann

bhZgdj7vyXigJLKcfn3qGxZE0kAIvsH9OjYZYzzgceINeeuQBdxePADnmO-7WucVPV7aQyjA-Fycl7X4GcWnPT_VCm-d51D40HypeRrXlGriWKvE2gjW9Hdmy6d0ATbWnPjIj55g

Liberalism : A pervading force of decadence, that which only compels impurity.

qNenJmGWLNh9we2TkklkwzlShLTuDIKxSNMp-ejmmnEDslk7yZxbtOQBxCnaWHE7KZum0I7VNj4amlZC5lE5BeejsDd3Ji0lykDb07bhTWaC264pkTgremktp99f7kbtVG67ra5w

UPROOTING LIBERALISM

Issued on the 5th of the Deep Cold, 5 SA

MALI’THILL OF KARINAH’SIOL,

Stagnancy, insolence, passivity, three evils that slither among our indolent people and only bid us stray from our sanctified traditions. The vices that proliferate liberalism must cease to be, for they will only lead us to impurity, the antithesis of our blessed people. Yet it has come to my attention that the Council neglects the venomous words of the impure Eos Sinruil, who has scribed an essay on purity that only demands us forsake it. Bear witness, Mali’thill, to the liberal rhetoric below which so freely lingers in our midst.

The extract is pasted below, a direct cut out from the essay so freely distributed with particularly abhorrent sections marked in red.

Spoiler

Romance and Relationships 

Mali’aheral may romance whoever they want, but they must understand that if it’s not an ‘aheral that they plan to settle down with, then it’s nothing more than a childish fling. If one has already done their duty to the Silver City by having high elven children, then some would argue that there is frankly no harm in an interracial or homosexual relationship-- as long as they don’t procreate.

Eos Sinruil preaches impurity and instills liberalism with his reprehensible musings. He clings to false credibility by insisting such malicious writings are reviewed by oem Malaurir, yet it is self-evident that no true Malaurir would endorse impurity. Only Mali'ata may romance lesser ilk, Only Mali'ata may neglect Eltalonnii’sae through homosexuality, and only Mali'ata may preach such abhorrent ideals. The purity of our people is no laughing matter, Eos Sinruil, it is an eternal pledge that distinguishes Mali’thill from Mali’ata, the legacy of Larihei upheld. When one abandons purity, they become Mali’ata, abominable.

You threaten purity, Eos Sinruil, and for that… you shall find your own questioned, and recant your liberal beliefs.

Heial’thilln, if you truly wish to remedy the stagnancy that afflicts Karinah’siol, I demand a trial so that this affront may be rectified, this unscrupulous behaviour purged.

Show the people that you are one of action, and not passivity, Okariran.

- Arelyn Iyathir

Aiera Sullas rubs her temples somewhere in the depths of San’evarir, reading the latest gossip over a tall cup of coffee and her plans for her family residence, scratching out placements for a floor plan until the drama became evident. “Hypocrites,” she utters under her breath, erasing a sofa and placing it on the other side of an imagined room.

Still fuming from reading the recent supposed essay on purity, the Elibar'acal would cease her frantic writing as a missive had been delivered to her office. "It seems the Izalith has beaten me to it. All the better." She said, perusing the parchment. "I believe a council meeting is in order to discuss such a trial which was demanded. Ask and you shall receive, Izalith." She stated, setting the parchment down to go knock on the door of the neighboring Okarir offices. 

"Finally, reason seems to ring among the dissonance which the liberal Mali'ata stir." Olrin Hildinyr would remark with a brief sigh of relief, then bringing his thumb and forefingers to tiredly rub his eyes. "Let us hope their ill doings are done away with soon." And so he returns to constructing the acid pits, for they would be needed in the coming days. 

Maenor examined the newest addition to the bulletin board, regarding it with wide eyes and lifted eyebrows in a gesture of exaggerated astonishment. "Huh, impures get called out now? Who knew so much could change in such short a time..." he added on a tone reeking of sarcasm "Ah, exciting times in the world right now, exciting times..."  he concluded on a more serious tone and with a soft sigh, departing shortly thereafter.

" We should trial the 'Maheral' for his impurities by him challenging the 'Regent Maheral', but no let us not I guess." Alyssa Seregon said bitterly as the woman drank her morning tea within the walls of Karosgrad.

"The Mali'aheral are right to care about purity, but wrong about the reasons." Father Pius of Sutica writes in an Orenian public journal. "That is why my blessed people are so severe in their actions. They think that this purity exists in a primordial state, that it is a gift that subsists in the Blessed Elven race, that it is the highest ideal, and that "our ancestors strove for purity", as our laws do say, and that therefore purity can be striven for and enforced. But really, barbarism and impurity are not things that can ever be behind us, but always beneath us. No man, whatever race he may be, is free from impurity. Therefore purity is not something to be found in any one race, only some may yet more embody it with a greater degree of, but never absolute, perfection. But in failing to recognise this universality of impurity, they fall to a greater sin yet: pride, impurity of soul; more repulsive than impurity of body. For the idea of purity in the first place pre-supposes that if only we get rid of the impurities, we will have something pure. And the idea that this purity is something that can be attained by our own efforts suggests that we can reach this purity ourselves. 

But we have to recognise that we cannot pull ourselves up by the lobes of our own ears, however pale and long they be, or lift ourselves by our boot-straps. We have enough moral codes, but we are powerless to enforce them. For no man can say he is without sin, and so guiltlessly condemn others of the impurity which is, in however small degree, in himself. We need a pick-me-up. All races are weak and cannot enforce their own moral codes; else there would be no need for laws in the first place. Something outside of ourselves, a force stronger than us, and a reality higher than us, to draw us to itself. And that is why we can sometimes seem over-proud, self-absorbed, and severe. In short, humility must be inculcated, for - glory be to God - is there any man or race that can strive for purity of itself, fruitfully?

This recent essay which seems to support the mixture of the races and the monstrous and unnatural lusts of men, which has been the cause of so much controversy in Haelun'or, speaks of the High Elven ideal of "progress." "Progress" towards what? Will greater affluence, technological improvement, material benefits, and so forth, make a man more virtuous and pure? Often, quite the opposite.  For where there is wealth there is contention: where there is gain, there is egotism. The woman who loves her husband in spite of poverty is of a purer love than the one who loves him in wealth, and I believe that it is harder for the rich to be virtuous. How can the sons of Malin progress, then, if they have not a goal? If you're not progressing towards something, you're not progressing at all, just arbitrarily moving. But as we have seen, material benefits are insufficient to of themselves constitute this goal. All brave men would rather live an inconvenient truth than a happy lie. All good men would rather live virtuously and poorly and primitively than with malice and wealth and all the technological advancement in the world. Progress must therefore be something higher than these things. 

In order to truly progress, there must be a transcendent idea of what Supreme Good, is.  All of the Virtues: Benevolence, Justice, Prudence, Charity, and so forth, must subsist in this transcendence. For the ideal of purity suggests something pure, and therefore, something perfect. To root this purity and this striving to perfection in something contingent and fading, like a race of people, something clearly imperfect and impure, is a contradictory delusion. Material progress without liberality is greed; harsh law without mercy is severity; racial purity without humility is misery. Our ancient ideal that we can turn in on ourselves instead of looking upwards to the life that is above us, rooting ourselves in what is contingent and imperfect and expecting perfection, is why, however many executions there may be, the subversive and sinister promises of liberalism will not now cease to grow in Haelun'or, I believe, for the futile struggle begats a surrender attractive to many, and this surrender we call Liberalism."

Edited by thesmellypocket

22 minutes ago, thesmellypocket said:

"The Mali'aheral are right to care about purity, but wrong about the reasons." Father Pius of Sutica writes in an Orenian public journal. "That is why my blessed people are so severe in their actions. They think that this purity exists in a primordial state, that it is a gift that subsists in the Blessed Elven race, that it is the highest ideal, and that "our ancestors strove for purity", as our laws do say, and that therefore purity can be striven for and enforced. But really, barbarism and impurity are not things that can ever be behind us, but always beneath us. No man, whatever race he may be, is free from impurity. Therefore purity is not something to be found in any one race, only some may yet more embody it with a greater degree of, but never absolute, perfection. But in failing to recognise this universality of impurity, they fall to a greater sin yet: pride, impurity of soul; more repulsive than impurity of body. For the idea of purity in the first place pre-supposes that if only we get rid of the impurities, we will have something pure. And the idea that this purity is something that can be attained by our own efforts suggests that we can reach this purity ourselves. 

But we have to recognise that we cannot pull ourselves up by the lobes of our own ears, however pale and long they be, or lift ourselves by our boot-straps. We have enough moral codes, but we are powerless to enforce them. For no man can say he is without sin, and so guiltlessly condemn others of the impurity which is, in however small degree, in himself. We need a pick-me-up. All races are weak and cannot enforce their own moral codes; else there would be no need for laws in the first place. Something outside of ourselves, a force stronger than us, and a reality higher than us, to draw us to itself. And that is why we can sometimes seem over-proud, self-absorbed, and severe. In short, humility must be inculcated, for - glory be to God - is there any man or race that can strive for purity of itself, fruitfully?

This recent essay which seems to support the mixture of the races and the monstrous and unnatural lusts of men, which has been the cause of so much controversy in Haelun'or, speaks of the High Elven ideal of "progress." "Progress" towards what? Will greater affluence, technological improvement, material benefits, and so forth, make a man more virtuous and pure? Often, quite the opposite.  For where there is wealth there is contention: where there is gain, there is egotism. The woman who loves her husband in spite of poverty is of a purer love than the one who loves him in wealth, and I believe that it is harder for the rich to be virtuous. How can the sons of Malin progress, then, if they have not a goal? If you're not progressing towards something, you're not progressing at all, just arbitrarily moving. But as we have seen, material benefits are insufficient to of themselves constitute this goal. All brave men would rather live an inconvenient truth than a happy lie. All good men would rather live virtuously and poorly and primitively than with malice and wealth and all the technological advancement in the world. Progress must therefore be something higher than these things. 

In order to truly progress, there must be a transcendent idea of what Supreme Good, is.  All of the Virtues: Benevolence, Justice, Prudence, Charity, and so forth, must subsist in this transcendence. For the ideal of purity suggests something pure, and therefore, something perfect. To root this purity and this striving to perfection in something contingent and fading, like a race of people, something clearly imperfect and impure, is a contradictory delusion. Material progress without liberality is greed; harsh law without mercy is severity; racial purity without humility is misery. Our ancient ideal that we can turn in on ourselves instead of looking upwards to the life that is above us, rooting ourselves in what is contingent and imperfect and expecting perfection, is why, however many executions there may be, the subversive and sinister promises of liberalism will not now cease to grow in Haelun'or, I believe, for the futile struggle begats a surrender attractive to many, and this surrender we call Liberalism."

Father Adelric looks at the essay and nods his head. "Facts." 

The missive had arrived on the elfess' desk, placed at the forefront of a pile of letters and sheets. Lorelei scanned its contents, a brow raised. "It seems reason has returned to Haelun'or." She remarked softly, setting the paper down. 

Spoiler

OOC:

um

Saying this with love, but take care to specify whether you're referring to classical liberalism or social liberalism.

Classical liberalism is a philosophy opposed to monarchism/feudalism in that it focuses on a government constructed to protect individual rights, as well as a governmental focus on public works. (Such as Haelun'or's nice library!) Classical liberalism also supports economic liberalism, such as capitalism and the free market. For example, the idea that the govt shouldn't involve itself in the free market. It also supports an individual's right to vote, education, healthcare, and a living wage. Which are things I think Haelun'or is currently in favor of.

Oren is very classically liberal right now!

To 'uproot liberalism' would imply a return to a monarchical authoritarian state - usually feudalism. Which is what you might be doing, idk.

But it seems to me, this is more an attack against social liberalism, which involves civil rights such as racial equality and the ability for LGBT people to marry. 

I just think you should take care to make sure your terminology's correct since I'm not sure you're out here advocating for a return to feudalism and a monarchical state.

"I saw this coming." Anwyn Izalith would muse. She glossed over the papers, there had seemed an urgency in the script, no doubt a sign of recent events. "Hopefully this is will bring clarity to Maehr'sae Hiylun'ehya." She murmured in an optimistic tone.

"This is probably the weirdest announcement I've read from the Silver State." the mali'ata would say to himself looking at the purist propaganda in the comfort of his beautiful home in Elvenesse

2 hours ago, Urara said:
  Hide contents

OOC:

um

Saying this with love, but take care to specify whether you're referring to classical liberalism or social liberalism.

Classical liberalism is a philosophy opposed to monarchism/feudalism in that it focuses on a government constructed to protect individual rights, as well as a governmental focus on public works. (Such as Haelun'or's nice library!) Classical liberalism also supports economic liberalism, such as capitalism and the free market. For example, the idea that the govt shouldn't involve itself in the free market. It also supports an individual's right to vote, education, healthcare, and a living wage. Which are things I think Haelun'or is currently in favor of.

To 'uproot liberalism' would imply a return to a monarchical authoritarian state - usually feudalism. Which is what you might be doing, idk.

But it seems to me, this is more an attack against social liberalism, which involves civil rights such as racial equality and the ability for LGBT people to marry. 

I just think you should take care to make sure your terminology's correct since I'm not sure you're out here advocating for a return to feudalism and a monarchical state.

Spoiler

dont think ideas of liberalism exist in lotc other than the context in which people use them

Edited by MadOne

2 hours ago, Urara said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OOC:

um

Spoiler

I hate how people have started making their very liberal IRL ideology their lotc ideology. Just yesterday someone tried to ask a mod if I was allowed to be racist against ghosts....because as a paladin my character hunts them down....

Return to the era of ear clipping elves and ban mixing of descendant races plz. Or enforce the punishments on half breeds, like orc rage killing them young and half elves being infertile, LT, plz.

Spoiler

I would like to remind everyone that this still is an RP post, so if you wish to debate please take it to the OOC sections of the forums.