[✓] [Voidal Feat] - Voidstalking

squakhawk

34 minutes ago, SquakHawk said:

Mood swings

Spoiler

Its*

oh hey will you look at that

real Voidal magic 

Woke up from my evening nap today at 22:45  in a cold sweat today; when it came to me, that actual voidal magic was being written,

and then it came to me that this alibi could be the thing to allow for me to nap peacefully once again.

based voidal magic

Edited by Nozoa

Okay this is cool and this is what voidal magic should be. Now take all current voidal magic, make it and rework it to be nonvoidal, then pass this. I love this Squak, but I honestly do not want to see this existing under the same category as descartes fireball magic.

This is gonna be my comment for the big trio, but these are all really high quality feats. I love em. Good heccin work, Squak! 

35 minutes ago, CaesarTheFirst said:

Okay this is cool and this is what voidal magic should be. Now take all current voidal magic, make it and rework it to be nonvoidal, then pass this. I love this Squak, but I honestly do not want to see this existing under the same category as descartes fireball magic.

So take all of the evos and make a new subset of magic... Arcane, maybe? 

This just feels right. It works perfectly with the themes of the void. +100

Spooky! I cannot wait for someone to roleplay this lore incorrectly because why not! But love this epic voidal pro feat yes : )

@SquakHawk

This lore is really well written, but I have a problem with balance. This feat, compared to the others, has a rather pesky set of control combat abilities which do not bode well.  If I'm wrong about how these spells seem to work, I'd ask that you clarify the lore a little too. I'm just going off of what I can read, but I may be misinterpreting how these abilities are used. 

Dedicating three slots to voidal magic means that learning this feat pairs up with fighting well through magical means. This Feat (0 slot magic) gains the ability to checkmate any other opponent pretty quickly, either denying them the ability to cast or fight back physically through Wither or Invasion, on top of an expanded mana pool.

Consider that 'weakening the target to the strength of the voidal mage' is way too strict a debuff, many targets may vastly different in base strength, like Orcs, Ologs. This also does not specify acceptable targets. Anyone with flesh & blood? Event creatures? This also means that any descendent target originally wearing heavy armor before being targeted by drain is going to be completely useless, as mages are by lore unable to fight with that weight.

Compare this to the Mystic Blade's Ennervation -- which has strict guidelines for physical touch, a scaling Tier list, and only lasts a certain duration. 

92ac985c75f24d7ba73ae9697f415508.thumb.png.a66727649370c6c2a3aa70a1b568da3b.png

Wither is a three emote cast (medium speed), but you can cast Wither at range, and it lasts for the whole combat, can't miss in anyway (seems to autohit?), doesn't require sustained concentration either. I think you should remove Wither entirely.  Maybe write it as a debuff-rider you can weave into another spell, like affecting the people hit with your "air evocation" with an additional temporary sluggishness, though - 

I think Invasion & the expanded manapool are strong enough to carry this subtype as deadly in combat, especially as an anti-mage/anti-archer Feat.

Invasion doesn't have an emote-cost guideline, and to cast it can essentially work as a counter-spell. You could use it on the last emote of a four emote spell from another mage, or even to disrupt an archer's firing shot. This puts them down a lot in the emote-count. If we look to other 'disruptive' combat abilities like transfigurations abjuration, translocation's double-portal, and we understand that lots of these voidstalkers will also have access to these abilities?

Then they get all this without it taking any slots? Someone could go a full five into Void and this gives them an incredible, debuff based, combat efficacy against seemingly any strategy. Combine this with (as written) an unending casting stamina?

When I consider the Voidal Eminent, it makes it clear that the offensive abilities are raised. Still a little worrying for a 0 slot feat with a pretty easy to fill rider, but there's no promise you get off your Voidal Boosted Fire Wave -- it may take 7+ emotes to charge, and then you're out. And the explusion ability pretty clearly says you're out of the fight once you've used it. To me, the Voidstalkers infinite mana stamina is very similar to the expulsion ability - except that instead of launching a nuke, you might be able to eek out a few more well calculated spells. It adds a very interesting strategy to voidal mage combat, and I really like it.

Buuuut then you throw in this mega-debuff that can obliterate anyone in armor in 3 emotes, a counter-spell that's arguably more effective than abjurations, and I get a little worried.

The rest of the piece is genius. 

On 1/10/2021 at 3:22 PM, Sri said:

@DISCOLIQUID

Don't know if this is stupid on my part, but the lore says Direct Touch which I assume is touching the skin or at the very least touching thin clothing. I would assume someone in armor would be immune from direct touch unless they were not wearing armor over specific areas. I also can not imagine a mage being able to touch a person with any physical strength for multiple emotes a time when they are pretty much entirety vulnerable. Though there is definitely potential for abuse.

Alright I’ve reread the piece a few times and I really cannot find where it says that Wither requires physical touch

2 hours ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Alright I’ve reread the piece a few times and I really cannot find where it says that Wither requires physical touch

It appears I misread it. Either way that would be my suggestion for a change, to add that redline.