Pius of Sutica: Complete Works.

Pope Benedict XVI in the UK - The Papal Visit

Pius of Sutica, born Malgath, (1610-1803) was a Priest and High Elf convert to Canonism who authored a great many spiritual and theological works. His Holiness James II called Pius: “An example of humility whom I wish to emulate and a teacher to whom I submit.” Along with Bl. Seraphim of Leora and Fr. Griffith of Gwynon, he formed a spiritual movement called the ‘Tractarians’, a name which comes from the ‘Tracts for the Times.’ Pius believed that true spiritual reform did not start with high politics and cardinal’s hats, but with the humble parish Priest stirring the hearts of men, and to that end rejected any form of rank besides Priest. 

Pius believed that his death heralded only the beginning of his work. “On the wings of confidence and of love”, he experienced a serene and happy death, and told the Church he would be with them always: “I am your brother and your friend. I will never cease watching over you,” he said to his friends. “I shall spend my heaven doing good on earth.”

THE CANONIST COMMENTARY ON SACRED SCRIPTURE:

The Scrolls of Virtue and Spirit in their original Flexio text, presented with a detailed commentary both from Pius’ own knowledge of the text and language, and drawn from other sources.

The Scroll of Virtue.

The Scroll of Spirit.

THE EPISTLES: Written to the Church about a specific need. 

An Open Letter to Confused Canonists. James II called it “surely the seminal work on the nature of holy obedience.”

Second Epistle to the Church. On Trusting in God in Hard Times.

Apologia Pro Epistula Sua.  Response to Boniface’s Thesis on Obedience.

Floodgate of Mercy: On the Nature of the Sacred Priesthood. This represents the Tractarian view of What a Priest should be. A letter to Acolytes.

Epistle to Helena. On Living Out the Virtues in our Daily Lives.

On the Rights of the Worker, Written to Political Parties about Workers’ Rights. Supports trades unions. TRACT III.

THE FINAL EPISTLE. Pius dies happily and promises to intercede for the Church.

THE TRACTS: Written at first anonymously, primarily by Pius, but with the help of the other two writers. From whence the movement gained its name.

TRACT I: RELIGION OF THE DAY. Old religion had the deficiencies of fierceness and emphasised too much fear of damnation, but that modern religion is falling into an opposite and more dangerous extreme. 

TRACT II: THE CHURCH IS THE SWORD OF OWYN.  The Church has a duty to anathematise heretics and has the power to do so.

TRACT III: See On the Rights of the Worker.

TRACT IV: FIDES ET RATIO. Response to James II’s The Age of Reason. Supports the use of reason in seeking religious truth. James II reacted very positively, their dialogue is also here attached.
TRACT V: A DEFENCE OF THE SACRAMENTAL NATURE OF CONFESSION. Confession is not merely a devotion, but has a sacramental power. A passionate Defence of his life-work.

THE THESES AND HOMILIES:

Thesis on Divine Slavery. A commentary on and vindication of the use of the terms of slavery in the Scrolls, and by Ven. Humbert.

Two Homilies on Gospel 2:36-39. Commentary On Horen’s Baptism.

Essay on Patriotism.

Pius’ Entries in the Proceedings of the Council of Providence. Pius defends the integrity of the Sacred Priesthood passionately.

Response to Father Alfred’s “Thesis on Love.” In which he argues about the definition of love.

Letters with Cardinal Goren on Free Will.

HISTORY: 

THE LIFE OF VEN. OLIVIER. Biography of the holy Savoyard king. Well-sourced throughout.

HISTORY OF JUDITE CHANT.

LITURGICAL and DEVOTIONAL:

THE SOLDIER’S PRAYER-BOOK. A Prayer book for soldiers. Published and distributed by Cardinal Goren.

LITURGICAL CALENDAR OF THE FSSCT. Proscribes the liturgical seasons to be kept by the Fraternity. Based on the Judite Rite.

RULE OF THE FSSCT. The rule of life Pius wrote for himself and his fellow priests.

THE LITTLE OFFICE OF THE FSSCT. A prayer rule with readings from the doctors and Virtue.

THE DANCE OF DEATH. A poem warning about the inevitability of death.

THE APOLOGIES:

THE FIRST APOLOGY: AGAINST THE SCHISM OF BONIFACE. Pius Refutes the Schism of Boniface. 

THE SECOND APOLOGY: TO THE HIGH ELVES. Pius writes and responds to his own race in his final year.

One: A Response to “Uprooting Liberalism.”

Two: A Response to “Man’s Discourse.”

WHY I BELIEVE IN GOD. Written by Pius before he became a Canonist, in Sutica. (TBD)

Response to the Prophet Melchizedeck.

Edited by thesmellypocket

Goren smiles at the publication, looking to heavens. “I shall work to disseminate your work” he pauses, chuckling “even our disagreement on Free Will, do not fret.” At that, he’d begin to work on further scribing the writing of Pius into hardcover books.