God tests us all - the sorrow of OWYN III

Draeris

8tLMVmy4XWQE5loyJhhq3NDZtG3dkcU56MMzh2R0ZyFsdOALO2mt1LYeJNiAPMFk33AZ7iPgP4ZK9L1W6dx-3XOlUvx9Blypr14ar5PAw58zItRt_npGZBjKoyQaV8asoBN_PrTc

GOD TESTS US ALL 
THE SORROW OF OWYN III

@LithiumSedai @frill

“I wish to author a eulogy.” the fatigued Pontiff looked at the broken window of the Karosgrad Basilica, flanked by his Monsignor & Knight-Regent, “a man of true stature has violently passed, and done something despicable before GOD in his final moments... Although I cannot understand why he would do such a thing.. Did his demons finally get to him? I must defend his honour posthumously.” 

“I would advise against that, Your Holiness.” Monsignor Vicary jeered, folding his hands behind him as he joined His Holiness’ gaze at the damage, “Lord Helvets was a dear friend to you, but also a criminal in the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska. Stirring the living with the language of the dead wouldn’t be… helpful, Your Holiness. Private prayer and a night-candled psalter would be the most you should venture. I am sure Helvets’ soul would dislike being awakened from his death by those who happen to still be walking about.”

The Knight-Regent Armande pouted as he looked at the expression of Owyn III, who coldly blinked. With a soft clearing of his throat, he spoke: “I must agree with Monsignor Vicary, although I do pray for your strength in overcoming this tragedy, Your Holiness.” 

“It breaks my heart that I cannot pen a defense of a longtime mentor, if not a father.” Owyn III sighed, his head now lowered “After the passing of Bishop Erasmus, he was the only one to defend me through it all... My true Paladin, a man that made the loss of my homeland bearable by... making me feel like home.”

Monsignor Vicary darted his eyes at His Holiness’ face, anticipating the flowing tears of a man in pain. Nothing but a fatigued and emotionless gaze would escape the Pontiff’s face however, as he looked at the mirrored floor of the Basilica. Both the Knight-Regent & Monsignor would stand quietly, minutes would pass without a word being spoken. 

To Owyn III, once Laurence Pruvia, it all felt like a test. The more he had ascended towards success, the more loss he had endured. His entry into adulthood had cost him his one and only temporal love in life, a childhood sweetheart that could not overcome her demons in the spring of her youth. His promotion to Premier was paired with the death of his protége and confidant Erasmus von Gertreide, who could not handle the burden of leadership by his side: and found his demise during a planned vacation by the sea. The end of the Arcasian era would then mean the end of his Commonwealth of Kaedrin, for only the start of his Pontificate to be marred by the death of his last friend left.

Richard Victor Helvets, a man that had dirtied himself in the spit and mud alongside himself. The only man beyond GOD that he could find solace in, who could understand his complicated heart. 

“The man has passed without a proper burial: without a tombstone to evoke remembrance. He, a man made for reverence, shall be forgotten in the temporal plane. Is this GOD’s punishment?” he would look up, as Monsignor Vicary straightened his necklace “Your Holiness: are you a soul with a body, or a body with a soul?”

Both the Knight-Regent and His Holiness would look up in surprise, the latter even perking a brow: “Eh. I-I suppose a soul with a body, perhaps to my own misfortune.” To that, the Monsignor softly smiled “Why must we weep over the loss of the body, if the soul moves on to greener pastures? He is out there Your Holiness, his spirit shall live on for eternity.”

“Of course.” the Pontiff nodded once “I pray for his entry to the Seven Skies, and for him to receive a rest long overdue. Yet is it sinful for me to remain dismayed, as I miss them at my side physically?”

“No...” the Knight-Regent would interject “Such is merely human. Do not forget that GOD allows you to be human too, Your Holiness.” The Monsignor nodded towards the Knight-Regent, both looking at each other with faint sadness in their eyes. The Pontiff, who felt increasingly uncomfortable being candid about his feelings, retracted back into his fortress of indifference. 

“Right.” he suddenly spoke “I shan’t write an eulogy then. But do pursue his body, Knight-Regent: If GOD lets me, I wish to bury him in Redenford.”

The wind-up clock ticked with its old monotonous rhythm. Tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock: it did not end, it just kept on going on and on. The lump in the corner of the room stirred restlessly. It had been listening to this same clacking sound, which pulsated in an alternative beat with his heart, since morning.

A door opened.

“Eminence…” came a voice. All it got in return was a groan. The figure moved closer through the dark room, peppered with a variety of smells and spices aromating in and out the wooden beams. 

“Lord Richard died the other day: executed.” the grim-reaper continued, being very blunt with his news. He thought that if he could tell it quickly and straight that it would go by unnoticed, and he would be back down for lunch within a minute. But it was noticed.

A low wail came from the corner, scraping and distressed. The lump barely moved, it barely could. 

A friend gone, another lost forever. Many had gone in the past few years, they seemed to be dropping off one-by-one. Would they meet again in the Skies?  

He no longer knew.

But anything was better than this.

Theodora Angelica, daughter to the disgraced count, conveniently thought about how her life was tried by her own father, while protesting the pontiff.

"Any sane man who abides to JUSTICE AND ORDER will see this is no issue! GOD has already abandoned us and locked us from his house of worship for guidance in these trying times! This all we have left. EVIL needs to be purged." The soldier spoke.