The Life and Works of Father Goren FSSCT

Lojo613

The Life and Works of Father Goren FSSCT

Reginald Pole - Wikipedia

Goren Cardinal Kovacs, Bishop of Johnstown

A biography

Father Goren was born in 1746 in the Holy Orenian Empire of Arcas to a peasant family living in the heartlands of the Empire. This family, being of low birth and pious stock, carried no surnames and a rather unusual habit of naming children after the Exalted, with the caveat that one letter be changed or added to the name as to give each child a unique yet holy identity. The second Eldest of four children, Goren proved to be the weakest yet most apt with the skills of reading and writing. As such, according to family tradition, he was sent as a tithe to the Church. He arrived in Helena following the election race of Arthur Cardinal Helena, and requested of him to be made an acolyte. It was not long until he began to write a series of theses on topics of a wide range, from free will to mercy. Goren was ordained by Cardinal Helena shortly before he left for pilgrimage, upon which he never returned. Shortly after being ordained, Father Goren then met Bl. Father Seraphim of Leora, Father Manfried, Father Griffith, and Father Pius of Sutica, joining the Fraternity of Saints Kristoff and Jude. During his tenure as a resident Father in Helena, Goren would spend most of his time writing or doing charitable works, his rather reserved and introverted nature influencing his unique style of tending to his flock. Often seen writing at a table in the center of the square with a sign "Questions on Canonism? Faith? The Holy Scrolls? Ask away!", Goren loved nothing more than to help others in need, which most likely influenced his near constant gardening work in the city fields, restocking the poor chest daily with homemade pies, bread, soups, and cakes. Goren then made his first mission to Johnstown to meet with the emerging group known as the Aemesh, which he wrote a report on and sent back to His Holiness High Pontiff James II. It was at this point that the man, now in his mid-30s, fell in love with the sleepy rural community, and requested to be stationed there that he might not only write in the comfort of nature but further work to bring the Aemesh into the greater Canonist flock. James II made Goren the bishop of Johnstown, and Cardinal of the surrounding diocese Kovacs that same year. This did not end his charitable acts, though, on the contrary, with the greater supply of grain and increased number of mouths he could feed, Goren would often walk between Johnstown, located past Haense, and Helena, carting bread and other foodstuffs between the two to give to the poor, as well as restock a wayshrine which had free food for travelers in Haense. It was through his love of botany and the fruits of the Earth that he befriended Grouch Carrington, who proceeded to mentor the priest, now Cardinal, in the school of alchemy. Goren would then proceed to combine his learning on Alchemy and his opinions on Free Will into a complete manifesto of what he claimed were hidden truths of the Holy Scrolls, known as "Extrapolations on Divinity: Exegesis on the Holy Scrolls", which he considered to be his masterpiece. Goren personally helped the Vuiller family and Manfried Cardinal St. Julia construct the Holy Palatinate of Aquila, designing the extensive gardens and parks alongside Manfried and personally filling the Pontifical Library with nearly 50 hardcover books transcribed from manuscripts in the Church archives. Goren then went missing for many years, lost in the frozen north during the Crusade against the Inferni and only managing to return to his flock via raft after the destruction of Arcas. Although many of his friends survived, Goren would now watch as both His Pontiff, and his friend Pius of Sutica, perished. Only a day later, his Archbishop, Alfred Cardinal Jorenus and his friend Johan Lay-Cardinal Aquila would be removed from office by the newly elected Laurence Cardinal Albarosa. Goren was given the role of Auditor of the Tribunal, and oversaw the trial of Cyril Cardinal St. Publius and Father Dima, perishing shortly after announcing the unexpected Not Guilty verdict.

Goren, throughout his life, was a man troubled by violence. Goren, during his tenure as Father in Helena, helped fight against an Undead Yeti, which was only halted through the valiant sacrifice of an individual which was burned alive in front of the now impaled and bleeding Goren. Goren then fought alongside Alfred Cardinal Jorenus during the final siege of the Scyflings on Haense through the sheer accident of having been in the city to purchase bread when the gates were shut. Goren was pulled from the walls by a group of Scyfling Shamans only to watch in horror as these men, who surrendered and laid down their arms, were burned alive before his eyes by a poorly timed barrel of Carrion Black. Goren then attempted to stop two children from investigating a strange hole in the wall of the Helena farms only to find an Inferni incursion below, resulting in two children burning alive in malflame with Goren only just barely escaping. Perhaps foreshadowing his own demise, Goren's own last moments would also be spent aflame, with nothing but a charred corpse left behind in the Baptistry of the city of Providence, a Martyr for his decisions as Auditor.

The Theses of Goren

On Respect, Love, and Fear - A Three Part Thesis, an excellent work according to Pius.

Our GOD given Rights - A Holy Scrolls interpretation on the Rights of Man.

Free Will and Predestination - An often debated interpretation of the Scrolls based in indeterminism, which led to a few later arguments with Pius of Sutica.

A Prayer Book written for military use

The Crusader's Cant & The Litany of St. Godwin - Written by Goren during the Inferni Crusade, this work was inspired by his own battlefield experiences and is the first time the Litany of St. Godwin, Goren's patron saint, is recorded.

Goren's Reports

The Aemesh Report - The first known interaction between the Canonist Church and the Aemesh

The Saulite Report - A report on a mysterious but short lived heathen religion which cropped up in Arcas as commissioned by Alfred Cardinal Jorenus

A Report on Invasive Plants in Helena - A short report on the botanical rather than religious

The Mysteries of Canonism, Philosophy, and Alchemy

Extrapolations on Divinity: Exegesis on the Holy Scrolls - Goren's masterpiece, a culmination of those previous theses and his learning on Alchemy

Participation in the Council of Providence

Goren's arguments with Father Pius during the council of Providence - A series of alterations to the law in hopes of expanding exorcism to nuns and confession to laity

Work as Auditor

Call to Trial of Cyril Cardinal St. Publius and Father Dima

Verdict of the Trial of Cyril Cardinal St. Publius and Father Dima - The final act of Goren, issued hours before his death and immolation in the baptistry of Providence

A note left behind by Father Goren in his belongings which have now passed to next of kin:

"To whomever may now be reading this,

Assume that I have perished. With growing fear and anticipation I do pen this final address. I fear that this trial I am about to adjudicate shall have many men on both sides who would see me perish for my verdict, no matter the outcome. Yet, I shall act as GOD has guided me, and should I die, Goren shall rest amongst his friends once more in the Skies. I have penned a letter to Manfried regarding my Will and Testament and who they ought to be addressed to. Yet, I must say goodbye to those I loved. To Casper, you are the son I never had. To Johan, you are my brother, and I hope you had considered me as close as I did you. To Alfred, you were a wonderful superior, I am sorry Laurence removed you, you were always fatherly towards me. To Manfried, you are my best friend, and my brother, Cardinal, Bishop, Father, and Judite, thank you for everything. To Beatrice Virosi, High Pontiff James II is one of the greatest men to have walked this Earth, I am glad to have been there for his last moments. To Father Griffith, I forgive you, fear no retribution. To Sister Anabel, you were right about the nature of time. To the Aemesh Vicarage, I concede on all points of argument. To Tirilan, your wife is lovely, I wish I could have seen you one last time. To the barkeep of the Victory whose name I never got, may your business prosper. To Grouch, I am sorry we never finished those lessons. To Dresden, I am sorry I was not around to aid in the Crusade more. To Aaron Falkenrath, you are a great man, you shall be in Heaven for you good deeds. Should I die, please, compile my works, I wish not to be forgotten. Goren, if you are reading this, burn this letter and write a new one discussing how the trial went.

I go now, I must make my way to Karosgrad, I wish to be a few Saints Hours early to the Diet.

Goren, once Cardinal Kovacs, once Bishop of Johnstown, always a servant of GOD."

Edited by Lojo613

Casper reads over the letter, reflecting upon him and Gorens most memorable chats in the Helena Cathedral. All the way back to when they first met... He sheds a tear for his friend, though it was more tears of joy, rather than sadness. A small smile crosses his face as he lays the paper down.

Pius of Sutica happily receives his brother into the Seven Skies. He turns to Blessed Seraphim and Goren, saying: "Now we just need to make sure that Griffith finds his way here, and we shall be all complete, we sons of Jude and Kristoff. And I shall look after Dima and Publius, too, though astray they have gone from the principles of our Fraternity..." 

Edited by thesmellypocket