SHE WHO CHASED DEATH

Zaerie

[ https://youtu.be/mer6X7nOY_o

“Viktoria?”

For what was a brief moment, Irene allowed her sister out of her sight. Although she knew not to, she figured there to be truth behind her eldest sister’s words when she said she was off to gather some shut eye. Only a second she figured it not to be much of an issue, but she was not in her chambers. Panic ensued, her heart raising, and she sprinted across the palace shouting for her. A simple joke or misstep, it must’ve been– knowing her sister’s utter stubbornness. Yet she saw no sign of her in the Nikirala Prikaz, and heard nothing from the servantry or passing courtiers. Suddenly, she found herself rasping out her sister’s name but to no avail other than her own echoes, “Viktoria!”

Everything flew by in a blur as she sprinted past the houses and bushes and red walls of Karosgrad without a second thought but her sister. Amidst the gardens was a lone wheelchair with no occupant, and Irene could feel the weight of the world come crashing on her. In the corner of her eye was a still figure, donning colors of black and yellow. Unmoving, Viktoria remained leant over her sword plunged into the garden grounds. She knew it to be true in a single sight that she was no longer with her; Irene had been warned as much that she had limited time with her sister. 

With no words to speak, nothing that would speak truth to her grief; Irene clung to her sister’s body and held it close to her own with a sudden sob. Yet she was wrong, Viktoria still remained by a thread and emitted her last breaths while she cradled her close. Should she beg her to stay? Should she scream for help, or rush her body to the clinic? Irene glanced down at her sister, knowing very well none of those options would do her any good so much as she wished it would. Irene reached out to pull the sword from the soil it was sunk into, and placed the hilt in her sister’s hand. Viktoria’s eyes slowly made it up to Irene, but there was no pain on her features then; only a relieved smile as she murmured, “Irene, I’m done, I’m ready.” Irene curled her sister’s weak fingers around the sword, “A warrior til the end, mea hausen.”

For no armies or esteemed swordsmen could level Viktoria the Warrior, only herself. 

Edited by Eryane

Isabel paced down the dimly lit halls of the Nikirala Prikaz, her expression glazed as she left the residential after hearing the news that the Queen-Mother, her former mentor, had passed. Memories flashed through her mind, recalling her time as a ward under Viktoria when she was a young girl. She admired the Queen-Mother for her courage, following her around as much as she could in hopes she’d be able to be half as good a Queen as she was once her time came.

Her pacing eventually led her to her office within the palace before moving to the shiny yet worn set of armor that rested in the corner of her office, the armor that the Queen-Mother gifted to her before her wedding to King Josef. She raised her hand, brushing shaky yet delicate fingers across the cold metal of the chest plate, “Have I made ye proud, Viktoria?”

Koeng Josef sunk in his chair upon hearing the news of his beloved Mother's death. A single tear streamed down his face, "Godan will receive you into the Seven Skies, dear Mamej. I only wish that I could have spent more time with you." The King lamented, spending the rest of his night alone, only empty bottles to keep him company.

Juliya Ipera steps out into the Palace hall, oblivious off the news of her mother's passing. Stopped by her Aunt Irene, she quirks a brow, listening in to what she had to say. 

"Nie she's niet." The Princess replies immediately after the words of death broke from Irene's lips. She was then beckoned by the woman to follow, and wanting answers, Juliya complied. She was guided into the ballroom where Irene stood there, offering an embrace. 

"You will tell me that this is some sort of sick joke," Juliya demands weakly, ignoring the attempts for an embrace.

"I am niet one to jest, nor have I ever been. Humour is niet befitting death." Irena replies, her tone serious.

Juliya mutters to herself a bit as the truth sets in, though her gaze focuses on a woman making her way into the room with a latte in hand for her aunt. 

"GET OUT!" The emotional woman shouts at the newcomer, anger building up in her tone as the harsh news hit her. Rather than listen to her shout though, the woman approached Juliya, offering out another latte to her, placing a finger on the Princess' lips to hush her. "Do niet come any closer, do niet touch me, leave." Juliya demands, dropping the latte out of pure uncharacteristic rage.

The latte woman left the room quite offended, and it wasn't until she was gone that Juliya realized what she had done. Pulling a small handkerchief from her pocket, she kneels down beside the puddle, trying to wipe it all up with the now soaked cloth. Her produced tears dripped onto the floor that she was relentlessly scrubbing, adding more and more work to an already lost cause. 

Not long after she had started this incessant scrubbing, she was helped to her feet and pulled into the loving embrace of her Aunt. "She is niet supposed to pass on yet... It feels as if she has just come back..."The mourning daughter cries, sobbing into the fabric of Irene's dress. 

"She was ready, but that does niet mean that she doesn't watch from above"  Irene readily replied, trying to ease the girl's cries.

"Why would she look over me? She barely knew me."  

"Your mother was always closed off, but she talked about you all to me quite often. You were every bit of her before the war, Juliya And she loved that. She loved you." The woman responds, keeping her own composure clean, not shedding a tear in front of the Princess. They spoke for a bit longer before Irene moved off, leaving Juliya alone with the little Princess Katerina who had wandered in with the latte woman earlier. 

Embracing the girl, Juliya relaxes softly, "Hold onto your Mamej just like this, 'Rina. Never let go."

Edited by MotherLay

Katherine Marie Ruthern would welcome her daugther in the seven skies. "Vy did good, dear." 

Edited by ___siren___

Ancelie mourned the fellow and former Queen. She reminisced on their memories, especially the ones made during the long, toiling hours on the Norlandic battleships in the midst of the Inferi battles. She particularly remembered the gruesome emergency surgery she had performed on Viktoria to keep her alive at all costs. Nevertheless, she had simply allowed a bittersweet smile to rest upon her expression as she held the memory of the valiant and brave Viktoria close to her heart.

Nataliya Reza sat at the end of her bed, her bright sapphire eyes began to scan the letter her mother sent her. precious memories began to flood her head. "Nataliya, I want you to have this. It's is a gift from me."  The woman offered her daughter a kind smile before bringing forth a present, neatly wrapped in red, her favorite color. The Princess Royal gasped in excitement" OH! Spasibo mamej!" Nat then snatched the gift, tearing it open before opening the dark oak box. There, laid a dagger, engraved with wonderous designs, with the name 'Nataliya Reza Barbanov' engraved into it. "I love it mamej! spasibo!" the Princess then threw herself onto her mother, embracing Viktoria tightly. "You are welcome my little crow, keep this as a token, that you will do great things, and that I will always be proud of you." as one memory left, soon another came. Nataliya would be seen running across the palace halls with her childhood dog. "Catch me if you can Bruno!" The princess Royal then paused midtracks, the small girl began to pick up the sound of arguing, emitting from the upstairs. Nataliya stood idle, awaiting for what was to be said next, then she heard something she would never forget. "HE ABANDONED ME!" Queen Viktoria cried out in pure rage. "He. . Abandoned us. ." Liya inquired in a shaky voice, panning to her dog for reassurance, after a moment, the voices grew louder; Nataliya ran to her chambers, sobbing. "How could papej abandon me and mamej?!" she wailed, destroying, tearing everything down that was in her line of sight, before letting out a shrill shriek "MAMEJ!" Then, princess came to. The shout echoing in the back of her mind as it soon faded itself out of existence. . Tears began to flow down Nataliya's face like an unruly waterfall, bringing her hand upward as she gently sobbed into it. "I did nie' even get to say goodbye...I-I should've spent more time with her. . i should've been there when father left. . I-" She then clung onto the letter, reading it, over and over again until she could not bare it no longer. Viktoria's words from the letter would be branded into her mind "I know that I have not seen you in quite some time, and for that I am so sorry, my dear. I hated the idea of leaving things off there, because that should not be the end as it does not reflect my thoughts. I am proud of you, for going off to what makes you happy over duty. I never met your children, and I can’t say that I ever liked Petyr, but if you are happy then that is what matters. Be who you want to be, do what makes you happy. And never look back, because any crown or tiara will ever outweigh love and joy."  The Former Princess Royal then formed a bitter-sweet smile upon her visage, wiping a tear from her cheek before hoarsely stating "I love you Mamej... I can nie' wait to see you again. . . I forgive you. . ."

Franz sat in his bed, knees tugged to his chest. He stared at the Arcane Relay in the corner of his room, it had been made so he could have talked to his mother, yet he never got to set it up in her room. He took the letter she had left him, reading through it as tears began to form in the corners of his eyes, staining the paper with every sob. "I promise, mamej, I promise." He murmured quietly, before hiding the letter under his pillow, where it would likely remain forevermore. Despite having been ready to accept his mother's death for years, he still lamented that his children would never be able to meet their grandmother.

Althea had shed a tear for the woman, having remembered her giving her a job in Haense's tavern. "I may have not known her, but I respected her."

Dhaen Grandaxe sat quietly in her office deep in the carved halls of the mountain. She mourned the passing of the famed queen and sent a personal letter wishing the future good health of the Haense royal family and her personal consolations from the dwarven people to those in the company of the Queen Mother.

"If only I had known her for longer than I did," Franz remarks upon hearing of the Queen Mother's death, taking a moment to pray for the late Viktoria and her family. "It seems Death himself finally worked up the courage to visit her. No doubt she gave him a good sock in the face on the way out."

Katerina Ceciliya sat in her bed. Tears rolling down her cheeks as she heard the news of her grandmother. The girl having struggled with accepting the fact that her family could not always spend time with her due to other duties more important. She had resented them for it for so many years. And with Viktoria's death she felt regret.

"Why did I niet spend time with her instead of calling her names and seeking her out instead of waiting for her to come to me?" the girl of eight questioned to herself. Perhaps it was time to grow up?

Manfred Barclay had been sat on his bed, recovering from his injuries inflicted by a frost troll only a saints day prior when a letter was delivered to him by one of his servants. "Viktoria." He said as his gaze narrowed upon the contents of the letter, his lips curling into a frown as the pain of losing an old friend slowly began to sink in. Manfred then began to think over all the past memories he had of his Queen, their time playing together as children, their time fighting alongside each other as adults and their conversation as aged veterans during the wedding of Princess Juliya. "I wish we had talked more." He commented as he allowed the letter to slip through his fingers before promptly falling onto the wooden floor of his bed chambers. "Farewell old friend." He said as he stared up at the ceiling of his bed chambers.

The Baroness of Woldzmir mourned her sister, consumed by an unshakable sorrow. She recalled their days nearly half a century before, sat beside a hearth accompanied only by each other and the lively  stories they would read. 

“How I mourn you, my dear Vikky.. and ache, despite our years apart, to once more find your embrace - yet I know I will not, for many years.”