ADELRIC'S MISSION TO ESBEC

MadOne

ADELRIC'S MISSION TO NEW ESBEC

TPin on fantasy

[!]Copies of the letter would be distributed to the members of the Canonist Church exclusively.

THE EVENTS OF THE MISSION

I had been given a mission by His Holiness, the High Pontiff Owyn III, to travel to Esbec in order to gauge the possibility of establishing a Diocese there. The main aims of this mission were to determine the necessity for establishing a diocese in the frontier town, which is lead by a Holy Knight of our order, a man called Toni. 

My welcome into the town was a welcome one. After a long day's travel up the mountain, I had caught my foot on one loose rock, while about to enter the township. I fell, and hurt my leg, in which many of the Esbec townsfolk ran towards me, in order to help me up. This has impressed me initially, for in my helpers, I had seen the virtue of God. I had seen that they would help fellow man, which has allowed me to determine that there were indeed good in the hearts of the people of Esbec, as there is good in the hearts of all children of our Lord. 

With that, after being put up to my feet, my mission on behalf of the High Pontiff had begun. I was to determine if this humble abode of helpful strangers had been a town which needed a Diocese. First, I wished to frame my investigation based on the populace. I had to find if the population was practicing Canonism, and if they needed guidance. I had talked to the tavernkeeper, a Dark Elf named Hans first. He told me, that he did not practice Canonism, and instead practiced his own faith, which was based on spiritualism. He also did not know any fellow who would be suitable for such establishment of a Bishopric. Though, he offered me food and drink, which I rejected, as I wished to proceed with my mission as fast and efficiently as possible.

After giving my thanks to Hans, I would come across a Halfling, who seemed to be blind, but was able to see. He had black cloth draped over his eyes, though his eyes glowed underneath, which took me aback, as I had considered this magic. Nevertheless, same questions followed. He was the adopted kin of a former Holy Knight, bearing the surname of Sentinel. Though he said that he did not care much for the faith, and was largely ignorant of the matter. He also further clarified that there was probably no resident here in Esbec who might be able to guide the flock to that path. He was respectful enough, but then I asked to meet one of his kin. He agreed to facilitate this meeting, and called her mother. Though I overheard him talking about myself as 'Some Providence priest' and that he 'hardly listened' to what I had to say. He would then seemingly proceed to play children's games with a wood elf woman, which has struck me as a flirtatious encounter, though I could not say for sure.

I have met Eliza Sentinel after the Halfling, who was a young Adunian woman, who facilitated my questions eloquently. She said that she had been married with a Holy Knight prior, even though the said Holy Knight had perished shortly before in a tragic encounter. I had asked her if the Halfling man was a trueborn son of hers, though she said that their relationship had been adoptive, for the young Halfling needed a guide of sorts. Then I enquired about her marriage. It struck me odd, how she did not know if she was married in a Canonist ceremony, or if the man who officiated the wedding was indeed a Canonist official, even though she had married a Holy Knight, which made me question the conduct of the Holy Knight Sentinel in marriage. Then I enquired if she was a practising Canonist, though she said that she did not practice. This raises a profound question about some individual Holy Knights, and some discussion with the Knight-Regent ought to be made about the domestic conduct of the Holy Knights. It is really strange to me, how a Holy Knight cares not if he marries an unbaptised individual, and neglects to get them into the fold of our faith. Nevertheless, she had no fault in the conduct of the Holy Knight, and she affirmed that she would be open to the idea of getting into the Canonist flock, if guided correctly. Then I enquired about the presence of such a Holy Man who might take up the mantle of the Bishop, which I was refused as well. 

As I continued in my inquisitions, the only thing relevant to the Canonist faith I found in the town was a silver cross, hung before the door of one Mr. Fitzbishop, but it is stipulated that he had been away from the town for a long time, according to what Eliza said. I talked to about four more people, all of which have reaffirmed that they were not practicing canonists. They seemed to have one thing in common - they were not necessarily lacking in virtue. 

I have my own questions about the leader of this settlement, however. A Holy Knight called Toni. I had been told that he did not necessarily talk about Canonism at all when handling his temporal duties, and I had not known an active Holy Knight under the Knight-Regent named Toni. An investigation about the leader ought to be made, to see if he does indeed carry out his duties dutifully and diligently. Though I have my presupposition that a Holy Knight who does not proselytize to his flock does not embody the virtues of the Order.

VERDICT

It is the opinion of Rev. Msgr. Adelric Barclay that, the settlement of New Esbec should be approached by considering the fact that the people of New Esbec largely make up an Elven population, who do not practice Canonism. It seems like there are no Canonist residents at all, and the establishment of Diocese might encourage spiritual growth within the settlement, since the settlers are not necessarily against the Mother Church. However, the settlers also do seem to be ignorant of Canonism, and it is unknown how they would react to an establishment of a Diocese within their lands. Further talks ought to be made, with both the Orenian government, and the local government of New Esbec to determine what comes out of this situation.

It is further the opinion of Rev. Msgr. Adelric Barclay, that the Church deliberate profoundly if it is worthwhile to take up action.

-Adelric

mfred_seal.png