The First Hochmeister [Historical Character - Aegis]

Ibn Khaldun

jerome-comentale-on-the-way-necropolis.jpg?1582052817

𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅗𝅥𝅘𝅥𝅯𝅘𝅥𝅮

We saw from the battlements the numerous halls and entrances into chambers and catacombs. We saw the many glowing eyes and heard the cacophony of chattering mandibles with no lips and the clicking of joints with no flesh. The necromancers left us the most morbid sight that I could ever describe to a man - a horde of men, women, and children listless and denuded of their skin and shame.

- Sariant Redujin, recounting the siege of Drauchreich.

War and leadership took its toll on Marius. His age advanced to the point where humans began to lose physique and memory. He reconciled with himself that his death may be approaching and began to set about selecting a successor from his two Ordenmarschalls. He recognized the congeniality of Samuel Bealcrest and the sternness of Mirtok deNurem. Marius chose Bealcrest as his successor, knowing that if misfortune befell Bealcrest, that deNurem would apply the hard-fisted rule to either restore discipline in the Teutonic Order if the misfortune came from within or inflict defeat if misfortune came from without.

By this time, the Undead began to unleash greater assaults and began to topple entire towns and cities. Necromancers, such as Wrothgar & Cassandra, recruited agents throughout the Land of Man to foment revolt against the Biumvirate. The fortress of Winterfell, maintained by Ser Robin Drake of Renatus, fell to the Undead and the Undead toppled the many-towered fortress. Sariants on patrol witnessed the walls being pulled down and followed the necromancers and their thralls to Drauchreich. These scouts returned to Konigsberg and reported the location of Drauchreich, an Undead necropolis, and Marius responded by mobilizing the Teutonic Order.

The Teutonic Order called upon the Ascended to send mages to accompany the army. Marius recognized that he would need magical safeguards for his army from whatever wicked spells may be used to repel his forces. He also had a number of artillery pieces constructed, such as ballista and onagers, to damage the walls and defenses. The opening days of the siege of Drauchreich was one of the most frightening experiences for many in the Order, as the Undead let loose a whole host of demented and disfigured creatures that the Sariants combatted and slew. All the while, during the first few days, the sky thundered and the most wizened necromancers made the sky look like the earth opened up and belched forth fire and smoke.

Eventually, Hochmeister Gaius Marius and his retinue made it onto the battlements and cut down Queen Cassandra. The Undead began to evacuate the necropolis, leaving behind them thralls that cluttered the narrow corridors and catacombs. Marius made the decision to also pull out his forces and leave the necropolis untouched. The sight of the dead and dying, the malformed and malnourished, shocked the Sariants and they marched back to Hanseti. Marius began a campaign of investigating his land and, having seen the common symbols and sigils of the Undead and their cultists, rooted out suspected sympathizers of the Undead. He also opened Konigsberg to take in multitudes of refugees with the fall of cities such as Kramoroe, Alstion, & upon Princess Indelwehn's request after the fall of a few Elven towns in Malinor.

marco-gifuni-rodin-on-his-deathbed.jpg?1586433360

𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅗𝅥𝅘𝅥𝅯𝅘𝅥𝅮

"I emerged from the womb for this short time and I now stand at the entrance to my tomb. I am a simple man among you men and I will meet my death having seen the golden age of the Teutonic Order begun and the land of Man rectified."

- The last words of Hochmeister Gaius Marius

Marius' advanced age brought with it a host of ailing conditions. He lived his last days at Konigsberg, aided by Ordenmarschalls Samuel Bealcrest & Mirtok deNurem. He issued decrees looking to settle more and more of the Old Hansetian people into the land, granting estates to those families who enlisted more men into the Order and resources into the dominion. Refugees from across Aegis found safe haven in Konigsberg and the Hansetian countryside. Through the entire reign of Marius and that of Bealcrest's in Aegis, Konigsberg would be the only city that did not fall to the Undead until the Teutonic Order eventually decided to leave for Asulon after Marius' passing.

On his last day, Marius felt his energy depleted. He had Bealcrest prepare his bed and gathered his Sariants into the keep. He made his nomination for his successor known and the soldiery confided confidence in his choice. He spoke his last words and they were: "I emerged from the womb for this short time and I now stand at the entrance to my tomb. I am a simple man among you men and I will meet my death having seen the golden age of the Teutonic Order begun and the land of Man rectified."

Sabet, 14th of Malin's Welcome, in the year 1343 marks the death of the first Hochmeister Gaius Marius.

Man this brought me back. Aegis was an experience and Gaius was always one of my favorite characters. Crazy to think this was nearly a decade ago! +1

2 minutes ago, Agnub said:

Man this brought me back. Aegis was an experience and Gaius was always one of my favorite characters. Crazy to think this was nearly a decade ago! +1

Much obliged man, those were fun times but even now I still enjoy the fiction-writing so figured I'd come back to recollect.