You Don't Know What You Have, Until It’s Gone

7th of Tov and Yermey, 356 E.S.

The waters between Aeldin and Almaris.

“I am here for you, my dear.” Sergey Kovachev said to his wife, Valeriya of Vasiland, as she looked down to her stomach. She was heavily pregnant. Aboard a ship, nonetheless. While many would describe her as a tough woman, ever she was frightened of the prospect of giving birth on this underequit vessel. 

They had been sailing for several days as they returned from visiting distant relatives in the lands of Aeldin. These were troubled waters, and they knew as much. The waters between the continents of the descendants and the lands of Aeldin were violent and storm-ridded. They knew they were bound for troubled watters, though they knew not when.

Valeriya grew restless- even more so than the average woman preparing for the possibility of childbirth- as she hoped to give birth to her new child before they came upon the storm that was destined to strike their vessel on the journey home.

---

“AHHH!” Screamed Valeriya, now in childbirth, as the ship was violently rocked from side-to-side. On every deck of the ship, people scurried about. Whether it was sailors tying down cannons and cargo, or women rushing to provide aid to the noblewoman giving birth.

“I am here for you, my dear.” Sergey attempted to comfort his wife, but to no avail.

“Why does Godan do this to me, Sergey?” She asked as sweat and sea-water dripped from her head. 

Sergey could offer no response, for God works in mysterious ways that he could not understand. 

“Almost there, my Lady.” One of the ladies called out to Valeriya.

The noblewoman continued to sweat, squeezing her husband's hand so tightly, he began to attempt to loosen her grip with his other hand.

A sigh of relief fell across the birthing chamber as the new-born was pulled from the womb of Lady Valeriya of Vasiland. A sigh of relief that was almost immediately followed by renewed tension, as another child had been pulled from the womb - two boys.

Valeriya’s intense grip on her husband's hand, finally loosening. Sergey planted a kiss on his wife’s forehead, for she had delivered two new baby boys to the House of Kovachev.

The sheets of the bed and the towels that littered it were soaked in blood. The women that tended to the birth all appeared with the same concerned look on their features. As the babies were rushed off to be cleaned by a maid, the remainder of the women continued to attempt to soak up the blood caused by the violent birth.

“She is bleeding severely.” Uttered another of the women.

“W-What do you mean?” Sergey stuttered, looking up from his wife, who had leaned back against the pillows that were stacked behind her head.

---

Lady Valeriya of Vasiland would not even be able to see her children, before her untimely death - the wounds of childbirth becoming too much to bear.

As she passed on into the Seven Skies, the storms that rocked the Reza Elizaveta began to clear. Sergey and the sailors and maids onboard were finally given a moment to absorb all the trauma that had just occurred. 

Sergey did not cry for his wife. Their relationship was never one of love, but of mutual respect - himself a member of the House of Kovachev, and her a member of the House of Vanir. Theirs was a union formed to usher in the return of the House of Kovachev.

What would he do without her? Sergey thought to himself. While he did not love her, as some men loved their wives, he did respect her. She was a strong woman - far stronger than he was. Sergey had always thought of women in a subservient role to men. Though now he questioned how much of this belief was actually true.

While, at first, he did believe their marriage was solely to produce an heir to the House of Kovachev, now he began to realize what he lost in Valeriya Vanir.

Valeriya’s strength and persistence was something unique that could not be replaced. She was not just a wife to Sergey, but a partner.

---

As he sat back in a wooden rocking chair, Sergey Kovachev held in each of his arms the two new baby boys of the House of Kovachev. He looked over the newborns, their eyes closed as they continued their deep slumber. “I admire you, for you know niet the events of today.” He said.

One of the boys - the first born - opened his eyes as Sergey concluded, looking up to his father with his emerald green eyes. A smile extended from ear to ear as Sergey peered down at his heir. “You shall be called Jan.” He whispered. 

The first born - Jan Kovachev - smiled a newborn smile, almost as if he agreed with the name. The name taken from Blessed John of Carnatia, the first Kovachev duke and veteran of the Dukes' War.

“And you…” He uttered with a low voice, turning to his second born son. “I shall call you Drasko.”

And with that, Sergey smiled one last time, thinking of how Valeriya would have loved to lay eyes upon their two beautiful children. He leaned his head back against the wood of the rocking chair, closing his eyes, and falling asleep.

His Holiness Owyn III would light a candle at the altar in the Karosgrad Basilica, still wounded and in pain, looking at the banners of every august house known in Hanseti-Ruska. His gaze stopped at the one of Kovachev, gently moving with the breezes from the opened door. A sudden sorrow befell upon him, as he turned to his Monsignor: "We must visit these families sometime de Bourdon, they might need hope and prayers more than we think."

Valeriya Lorina had never planned to be married, nor did she plan on producing any children. For she was an ambitious woman, one who took to adventure and exploration. One who never settled in one place, nor sought to.

When she met Sergey, they connected relatively quickly. Though he may not have carried the best reputation, she saw in him what others may not have. A man who had endured, who had persisted, and had great plans for his future and the future of his family. It was with a certain admiration that she acknowledged this, but no, she did not love him either. Not in a traditional sense. She loved what he stood for, the goals he'd set in place.

When Sergey proposed, there were of course, second thoughts. She did all she could to put it off and carry on with her carefree lifestyle until finally, her father gave them his blessing. The woman struggled with this, understanding that with the presence of children she'd now hold responsibility to remain where she was. Her history of careless ventures around the realm and taking to the seas with no set destination were coming to a close.

With the struggle of coping with such a thought, she also found a growing admiration for her newfound position. Though she hadn't met them yet, the bond that had formed between herself and her unborn children were unlike any she'd ever felt before. She took to the seas with the company of her husband for one last voyage, but no one could have foreseen the events that would unfold.

Despite having not achieved all she wished to, Valeriya managed to bless the earth with the two things she found to love first - an only pure love she'd ever found in her life. Her sons.

((OOC: I had a lot of hope for this character, I planned on doing a lot with her and it's heartbreaking to give her up with such short notice. Things got to a point where I couldn't bring myself to log on to her anymore and circumstances prevented me from having the motivation to proceed with her storyline. With the closing of this character, also draws the closing of my RP relationship with a lot of the current Haense population, at least for the time being. See you all around. 💖))

"Welcome my dear niece-in law, I wished to meet you and my nephew before my death in Oren. But sadly life takes and gives, but at least now we have time to talk." Sabrina Kovachev said with some tears coming out, but did keep a kind and warm smile, as she welcomed the Vanir wife into the Seven Skies, opening up to embrace the girl with a hug.

@Disheartened