Anyone can skin: A guide for the artistically challenged. Part 1

Kaiser

Based, down with the monopoly! Marx would be proud!

Time to try and skin to just disappoint myself again, lets go.

once I skinned my character's man nips in a swimsuit skin. it was my proudest skinning moment.

@froeggy also how do I graduate from being a bu*lder and turn into an epic skinner

hi im a semi experienced skinner. i've been skinning for ~3 years now, starting in 2018.

i don't think a shading template is the best way to skin.

perhaps it's good for beginners, but once you develop a style of your own and do more complex skins (such as cloaks, folds, etc) you're going to need a better understanding of how to shade them. i don't dislike anyone who uses a shading template but there comes a point where one must move on from a shading template.

also i'll leave some advice for some newer skinners: join a discord (like mine, or ivorey's) and ask for critique. also experiment with skins, go outside ur comfort zone.

(this isn't meant to be rude or mean or whatnot pls dont take it that way)

2 minutes ago, froeggy said:

hi im a semi experienced skinner. i've been skinning for ~3 years now, starting in 2018.

i don't think a shading template is the best way to skin.

perhaps it's good for beginners, but once you develop a style of your own and do more complex skins (such as cloaks, folds, etc) you're going to need a better understanding of how to shade them. i don't dislike anyone who uses a shading template but there comes a point where one must move on from a shading template.

also i'll leave some advice for some newer skinners: join a discord (like mine, or ivorey's) and ask for critique. also experiment with skins, go outside ur comfort zone.

(this isn't meant to be rude or mean or whatnot pls dont take it that way)

Not rude at all! PM me your discord/discord account, I'd love to join it. :)

I love the template! Thanks for sharing your information, skills & techniques you've picked up! This information can certainly be called a gateway into making very high quality skins. 

27 minutes ago, Kaiser said:

"I have made a total of 4 skins"

I'mma giggle at this for a moment too 

Skinning is easy af, there isn't any 'unique style' use a template or use a photoshop tool like gimp either one is braindead simple. The problem is time. I don't want to waste like two hours on something like how my mineman aesthetic looks. I'd rather just get someone else to spend their time doing it.

Edited by osumanduas

Skinning is like any other hobby/skillset, you've just gotta practice, it doesn't take that long before a completely new skinner will be capable of skinning well. "The more you practice the better" is valid for both new and old skinners alike. That being said, don't think I've seen a guide like this, good idea.