THE VITALITY OF THE ROYAL DUMA

Eryane

tIwemeVPAjOSFGwTwPzsxisgHQcKgkswsrn3-6JhYFcpJP5pyYBgrX_bgf-mgAS9w5bIZ8D29nOnpD9yMK5AfR3LmzyzU-NOrX18bTCzyQ-K4lKXgJC0M2W6nsLuUsrBXCZzjq9P

THE VITALITY OF THE ROYAL DUMA

Memoir of the Lady Speaker, Irene Sarkozy 

“The Royal Duma […] is the principal legislative assembly of the realm comprising the noble peerage and elected representatives […],” to quote the words of Sir Otto ‘the Tarcharman’, a past mentor of mine in my early stages of Haeseni government, in his study with Georg Alimar titled Speakers of the Royal Duma, Chief Officers of the Legislature.

Since incumbency to Office of the Speaker, I must join my predecessors in stating that the position has since changed me and my views. More than I have seen it before was the importance of the Royal Duma questioned, but subsequently more than ever have I been convinced of its vitality. Through my studies of the past Speakers, particularly that of the Lord Speaker Konrad Stafyr, I implore all those to consider these simple words, “Never underestimate the power of the Duma.” In the matter of four duma sessions alone at the start of my tenure, the peers and elected officials of our realm produced over twenty bills with seventeen of them passing to the King’s discretion. Might you call this frivolous? Nie, it should not be seen in this light for change towards the betterment of our kingdom and its legislature is and shall never be considered substandard. For those who bring into question the minimal quantity of bills that reached assent, I ask you to look upon not what has been lost but what has been gained. We should not allow this idea of rejection in legislature to fester in our minds, nor should we allow it to breed fear of change.

The Royal Duma may feel as though its importance dwindles, but it is as much of a beacon of legislature and the voice of the Haeseni people as it has been historically. Even now, there are eight elected officials chosen for and by our people. Seventeen seats are on the duma in all as of 356 ES; including the peerage, elected officials, and the voice of the Palatine. There will always be disagreements that we must strive to pass; to think a world without some denial would be a utopia, and that is but a figment of imagination. We must accept the reality of our disposition and stand vigorously with the statement that we have so oft uttered, ‘I would have perished had I not persisted’. We Haeseni are known to be stubborn people, and in doing so we must be stubborn to stagnancy and continue to pursue change even when it seems all avenues are failing. We stand at the cusp of a new Haense, independent as a nation in its entirety; with the Royal Duma to pioneer this present-day era as the legislative body, and be the voice of change even in the face of repudiation. 

The Royal Duma serves as a representation of the Haeseni’s voice; to quote the Lord Speaker Sigmar Baruch in his memoir The Royal Duma and the Common Man, “The Duma is a tool for the people to voice their concerns, to pass meaningful legislation, and to protect the rights of all Highlanders.” This importance has not dwindled in comparison to its past abilities nor is it frivolous in nature. Remain stalwart in your legislative endeavors to see change and see the rewards you shall reap unto the nation; fortune favors the bold, not the stagnant and unchanging.

To conclude: Fear of change breeds stagnancy, and stagnancy is a disease that must be wiped out as swift as it comes in all areas.

Va fitsk dlum ve Birodal,

Her Excellency, Irene Ceciliya Sarkozy, 

Lady Speaker of the Royal Duma of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska

Edited by Eryane