[✓] [General Lore] Voidal Connection

Sorcerio

1 minute ago, altiar1011 said:

I can agree that heavier weapons should not be able to be used, but this limitation on light weaponry is nonsensical, given the types of armors mages are capable of wearing freely. Allow the free use of light weaponry, within reason, given that mages are also being handicapped a bit more in this connection rewrite. 

I'd also argue that lighter polearms should be allowed, but I'll leave that to your discretion. #MakeStavesGreatAgain

I'd also argue that, as per previous lore, high tier mages should be able to perform minor dodges without breaking connection. Nothing like huge combat rolls, but smaller movements to evade blade strikes and such should be on the table. 

Otherwise, p good lore. I just think it has some issues that need rectified. 

+1

3 hours ago, altiar1011 said:

I can agree that heavier weapons should not be able to be used, but this limitation on light weaponry is nonsensical, given the types of armors mages are capable of wearing freely. Allow the free use of light weaponry, within reason, given that mages are also being handicapped a bit more in this connection rewrite. 

I'd also argue that lighter polearms should be allowed, but I'll leave that to your discretion. #MakeStavesGreatAgain

I'd also argue that, as per previous lore, high tier mages should be able to perform minor dodges without breaking connection. Nothing like huge combat rolls, but smaller movements to evade blade strikes and such should be on the table. 

Otherwise, p good lore. I just think it has some issues that need rectified. 

yeah I’ll definitely settle for that last bit. Mages should be able to dodge rocks w/o breaking connection. That was a trend set in by Flam, and it’s really bland RP when conflict is eliminated because someone throw a rocks and what not.

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

So... what is the benefit given to the old mages who've been doing it for a long time, other then. UwU quirky hiccups. Honest question

3 hours ago, Jake the Dog said:

So... what is the benefit given to the old mages who've been doing it for a long time, other then. UwU quirky hiccups. Honest question

How so do you mean? This is fairly similar to how old Voidal connection worked (pre-Toxcat's), though there are bound to be significant changes/amendments made to this piece. 

I see several blaring issues with this piece of lore that I'm just going to bring up, despite knowing it'll go nowhere with this as Voidal Magic is the ST's favorite beating tool.

A mage should still be able to avoid an attack in close proximity and maintain casting if they're a higher tier, higher tier should mean more experienced at balancing physical and magical prowess not completely running it into the ground. Physical strength weakening is perfectly fine and understandable, but not allowing something as simple as dodging a little bit is unfair.

Anything more than a gambeson causing extreme exhaustion is outright ridiculous and nowhere does your lore mention any kind of replacement limb, by your logic anyone with a Golem or Animatii limb shouldn't be able to cast magic and move that limb at the same time, because this makes it sound like Magi have some brittle bones disease and will crack a hip by moving it wrong like an eighty year old woman. Golem limbs are solid stone and weigh quite a bit, and Animatii limbs are solid metal with room for the mechanisms/tubes that allow it to work. Both quite heavy. 

When it comes to weapons, a spear can weigh as little as two pounds, yet it sounds like that can't be used, and the fact you're saying a rapier and smaller weapons can't be used without exhaustion either is ridiculous. I understand the need for a tradeoff, but making it almost impossible for a mage to do anything on their own is unfair to the community. This makes it very hard for a mage to travel alone, because it takes one guy tossing a pebble in your face to interrupt casting and kill you.

Magic as it stands is bar none one of the weakest things on this server simply because of how much it gets smacked in the head with a baseball bat, and it seems like every piece of lore put out there adds one buff and fifteen downsides to being a mage, with no flavorful RP or anything of the sort allowed half the time aside from Household magic, which if this lore applies to all Voidal magic, nobody with that magic at T5 can do jack with armor or weapons.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, Zarexan said:

Voidal Magic is the ST's favorite beating tool.

Voidal Magic is also Voidal Mages' favorite beating tool.

higher tier should mean more experienced at balancing physical and magical prowess not completely running it into the ground.

No. Ascending up the tiers in Magic means that you increase your Magical prowess at the cost of a weakened physical form. Basic equivalent exchange, been doing this for years now.

Physical strength weakening is perfectly fine and understandable, but not allowing something as simple as dodging a little bit is unfair.

It says in the lore that Magi can evade minor projectiles such as a hand-thrown object, but nothing like an arrow. As for sword strikes, as a Mage, you're a ranged fighter. If you're two feet away from someone with a sword drawn and expect to get off a spell, then you deserve to have your connection broken. Keep your distance.

Anything more than a gambeson causing extreme exhaustion is outright ridiculous and nowhere does your lore mention any kind of replacement limb, by your logic anyone with a Golem or Animatii limb shouldn't be able to cast magic and move that limb at the same time, because this makes it sound like Magi have some brittle bones disease and will crack a hip by moving it wrong like an eighty year old woman. Golem limbs are solid stone and weigh quite a bit, and Animatii limbs are solid metal with room for the mechanisms/tubes that allow it to work. Both quite heavy. 

As of the time of writing this response, it says half plate also becomes an option, which is quite reasonable since that's how things were at. As for the Animatii/Golem limbs, that's a valid criticism; however, I like to think the average joe wouldn't be able to lift a Golem limb anyway, as they're rather sturdy and they're essentially boulders slapped onto your arm, so your argument doesn't really hold up there. Ultimately, it's a minor inconsistency I'm willing to sacrifice for this lore to pass.

or I think it'd be pretty cool to remove Mages the ability to wear heavy prosthetics as an actual drawback for having Voidal Magic, but that's my hot take.

When it comes to weapons, a spear can weigh as little as two pounds, yet it sounds like that can't be used, and the fact you're saying a rapier and smaller weapons can't be used without exhaustion either is ridiculous.

From what I read, it's more like that a Mage can't fight with more heavy leaning weapons without exhausting themselves after a few strikes. I understand how silly it may be that a Mage may be able to lift a 10 lb child, yet can't fight with a rapier effectively, but like the previous response, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take in consistency.

I understand the need for a tradeoff, but making it almost impossible for a mage to do anything on their own is unfair to the community.

Weapons aren't completely useless. I could see some adjustment being necessary, but it's an overstatement to call them useless. Ideally, you'd be using your Magic as an offense/defense anyway. I believe there's a middleground to be found, but ultimately, you need to either decide if you're going to be fighting with Magic more or charging in in full plate with a Bec de Corbin. If it's the latter, you probably shouldn't become a Mage.

This makes it very hard for a mage to travel alone, because it takes one guy tossing a pebble in your face to interrupt casting and kill you.

Again, it's explicitly stated that Magi can evade minor thrown projectiles like a rock.

Magic as it stands is bar none one of the weakest things on this server simply because of how much it gets smacked in the head with a baseball bat

Bro, I'm sorry, but spell lists and an actual comprehensive limitation on the physical strength of Magi is not the most evil thing to ask for. Some of Evocation's spells are subjectively the most powerful abilities on the server at the given moment, if you use them correctly. Don't even get me started on what you can do with Enchantments at the moment.

and it seems like every piece of lore put out there adds one buff and fifteen downsides to being a mage, with no flavorful RP or anything of the sort allowed half the time aside from Household magic, which if this lore applies to all Voidal magic, nobody with that magic at T5 can do jack with armor or weapons.

Yeah you're right, I can't win unless I have my five MA slots filled, fifty combat spells to go with it, and Voidal Poisoning that has virtually no consequences. Down with the system, I play Lord of the Craft to WIN, not to contribute to an overarching narrative.

Edited by CaesarTheFirst

On 1/23/2021 at 9:16 PM, IsaacFromLotC said:

Voidal Magic is also Voidal Mages' favorite beating tool.

No. Ascending up the tiers in Magic means that you increase your Magical prowess at the cost of a weakened physical form. Basic equivalent exchange, been doing this for years now.

It says in the lore that Magi can evade minor projectiles such as a hand-thrown object, but nothing like an arrow. As for sword strikes, as a Mage, you're a ranged fighter. If you're two feet away from someone with a sword drawn and expect to get off a spell, then you deserve to have your connection broken. Keep your distance.

As of the time of writing this response, it says half plate also becomes an option, which is quite reasonable since that's how things were at. As for the Animatii/Golem limbs, that's a valid criticism; however, I like to think the average joe wouldn't be able to lift a Golem limb anyway, as they're rather sturdy and they're essentially boulders slapped onto your arm, so your argument doesn't really hold up there. Ultimately, it's a minor inconsistency I'm willing to sacrifice for this lore to pass.

or I think it'd be pretty cool to remove Mages the ability to wear heavy prosthetics as an actual drawback for having Voidal Magic, but that's my hot take.

From what I read, it's more like that a Mage can't fight with more heavy leaning weapons without exhausting themselves after a few strikes. I understand how silly it may be that a Mage may be able to lift a 10 lb child, yet can't fight with a rapier effectively, but like the previous response, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take in consistency.

Weapons aren't completely useless. I could see some adjustment being necessary, but it's an overstatement to call them useless. Ideally, you'd be using your Magic as an offense/defense anyway. I believe there's a middleground to be found, but ultimately, you need to either decide if you're going to be fighting with Magic more or charging in in full plate with a Bec de Corbin. If it's the latter, you probably shouldn't become a Mage.

Again, it's explicitly stated that Magi can evade minor thrown projectiles like a rock.

Bro, I'm sorry, but spell lists and an actual comprehensive limitation on the physical strength of Magi is not the most evil thing to ask for. Some of Evocation's spells are subjectively the most powerful abilities on the server at the given moment, if you use them correctly. Don't even get me started on what you can do with Enchantments at the moment.

Yeah you're right, I can't win unless I have my five MA slots filled, fifty combat spells to go with it, and Voidal Poisoning that has virtually no consequences. Down with the system, I play Lord of the Craft to WIN, not to contribute to an overarching narrative.

It's adorable how often you quote me just to argue with me. However, it seems you misinterpreted MULTIPLE of my points for the sake of arguing, so I'll indulge you.

You've clearly misunderstood what I meant by balancing physical and magical prowess, I'm not asking for anyone to be a bodybuilder with Voidal Magic nor am I arguing that physical penalties for Voidal Magic is unfair.

1. Physical drawbacks are fine, I didn't say your "Basic Equivalent Exchange" was unfair, as that is literally the most basic concept of Magic and everyone knows this.

2. Weapons should be clarified more, a rapier is a dexterous weapon, it makes sense to have a penalty for that, however a shortsword or something similar shouldn't kill your stamina in like four emotes, however you shouldn't be able to wield a damn claymore or spend an entire fight sequence slashing and stabbing with no penalty, you should have a bigger penalty than say, someone with better physical strength and training, so non-mages.

3. I don't know if you've heard of it but there's this thing called RPing penalties and following lore which I've been doing for years and I'm perfectly fine with even more clarification to better RP the magics I have on my character as to avoid issues with the ST and community, I think that's an entirely reasonable thing.

4. My issue with Voidal Magic is literally the lack of flavorful RP, as it is literally just combat but I suppose you overlooked that, Transfiguration doesn't make up for what other magics lack. Any magic that has attempted to add these flavors, has been removed or denied, OUTSIDE of Household Magic yet that was forced to take a slot after it had previously not taken a slot, though I don't see that as an issue either.

5. Golem limbs are fine as they are magical constructs whilst still being rather heavy.

Go ahead and pick away at this criticism too as I don't think this is getting across to you very well. My issue with this is continuously weakening Voidal Magic to the point they have a brittle bones disease and your arm gets broken when it's poked by a pointy stick, as that is essentially where this is leading, as mages are ALREADY weak.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.