[✗] [Magic Lore][Misc] Astral Sorcery

Mr. Etan

On 1/24/2021 at 6:15 AM, Toxcat said:

f2u_purple_star_bullet_by_spiritseekerda_dboqob0.pngAnyone can make a Star Well if they know how to / were properly taught.

This redline seems a bit complicated to keep track of. Do you expect the ST to know who has been taught how to make Star Wells?

WhPOgYbxf9lj4rg1SNcXGEdUHXODkqvGbRCmyDSAG-cIvoCSj6CsH0t3tMGo_HOtyq2l_e2ZNXQoSntrUsyuyXARqVcEose3DEzmaGyO6acspqb-CTB9sGd_TIDFcbMbRxtg9YJW

We wished to create an interesting and whimsical magic that is not sourced from the Void. Star powered magic fits perfectly with the world lore and fills the void that was left with the removal of Arcanism. Instead of a Voidal magic, this is a stand alone creative magic that anyone may learn through self teaching or being taught and works well with other non voidal magics like House Magery.

While I absolutely love this purpose I believe that there is something missing. 

My suggestion is to maybe think of adding other branches to this magic (with a magic slot cost perhaps) 
For example I'd love to see some  sort of "enchanting" branch to this magic. I know there is a ritual of weaving starlight but in my opinion this magic has the potential to create a lot of trinkets with all kinds of uses.
(This is not something that can be achieved with the help of transfiguration since there is a redline that doesn't allow for someone with Astral Sorcery to have any open voidal magic MAs.)

I'm also a bit confused with the components. Do the components require an ST signature? Is this something you nee acquire with any particular process? Maybe it's worth expanding a bit on this. Also, are all components consumed? Does it take any "mana" from the Astral sorcerers?

f2u_purple_star_bullet_by_spiritseekerda_dboqob0.pngComponents:
[1] Bottled Starlight
[1] Glyph of Imbuement
[1] Glyph of Starlight
[2] Astral Sorcerers
[4] Candles

I also believe there should maybe be a limit on the amount of tomes you can use during combat? I did not do the math on how many chapters are needed in total to have all spells written down. But I do believe having someone open 3 different tomes might be a bit silly.

15 hours ago, tasty_cheesecake said:

can i cast from a horse

idk can you cast from a horse with voidal magic? moving probably not standing still sure,,, if a magic requires "focus" then usually it means "no multi-tasking"

4 hours ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

This redline seems a bit complicated to keep track of. Do you expect the ST to know who has been taught how to make Star Wells?

Thanks for pointing that out. We do state in the Star Well section of the lore that you need to have an MA to create one. We just clarified it in the general redlines too because it was worded confusingly.

I'd love to see some  sort of "enchanting" branch to this magic.

Love this idea. Going to consider it for future additions to the magic.

I'm also a bit confused with the components. Do the components require an ST signature?

Bottled Starlight, or Vesperal Ink, requires LT signature and it is obtained from a Star Well. The glyphs are pretty much just fancy images in the spellbook you are taught how to write . If the magic gets accepted there's going to be an additional flavor post to get more deeply into how different glyphs might look etc. I'm sure the others are self explanatory.
The bottled starlight is consumed and the rituals do consume mana. Somehow completely missed writing that into the lore lol it's there now.

Edit: Forgot to respond to the tome part. It is stated in the lore that you cannot cast Astral Sorcery unless you have a single book on your person.

_

On a side note, thank you everyone for the positive reception as well as suggestions. It's good to see so many people excited and hoping to learn the magic if it gets accepted.

Man It's great to see lore writers accept feedback with positive attittude. 

I was reading the lore piece again and I was thinking maybe the healing Ritual needs to have some othe form of drawback. I know it requires 5 astral sorcerers to cast and 1 full star well, but what if they simply rotate who's star well they use?

Example: 
First Week they use Mage A's Full Star Well
Second Week they use Mage's B Full Star Well
Third Week they use Mage's C full star well
Fourth Week they use Mage's D full star well
Fifth Week they use Mage's E full star well.

By that point Star Well A and B would be full again and they can start the cycle again. 

This would basically translate inito Astral Sorcery being the most OP healing magic in LoTC. 

2 hours ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

Man It's great to see lore writers accept feedback with positive attittude. 

I was reading the lore piece again and I was thinking maybe the healing Ritual needs to have some othe form of drawback. I know it requires 5 astral sorcerers to cast and 1 full star well, but what if they simply rotate who's star well they use?

Example: 
First Week they use Mage A's Full Star Well
Second Week they use Mage's B Full Star Well
Third Week they use Mage's C full star well
Fourth Week they use Mage's D full star well
Fifth Week they use Mage's E full star well.

By that point Star Well A and B would be full again and they can start the cycle again. 

This would basically translate inito Astral Sorcery being the most OP healing magic in LoTC. 

Hey! I genuinely appreciate you bringing this up because its something that we did not think of. In order to amend this what we did is add a red line to the ritual. Each astral mage who participates in the ritual Greater Wish ritual is OOCly restricted for 1 month from participating in another Greater Wish ritual.

Thanks!

On 1/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, Vaynth said:

I wrote a lot of the lore with Tox so I'll be responding to these points. Sorry for the lack of clarification when you asked earlier.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, altiar1011 said:

1. Complete lack of any genuine 'weakness.'

While a Lunarite casting implement can be used, it is able to be broken or taken from the caster. If they can't retrieve it, they would have to emote pulling out their tome and using even more mana and time to cast again after their focus is broken. In this time of fumbling around their safety could easily be compromised. Having an obvious casting implement in your hands is also a way to make others aware of your abilities and more cautious around you in the first place.

The need for Vesperal Ink adds another component that should be considered. It's something you mentioned but seemed to overlook the significance of. An Astral Sorcerer's tome is unique to other spell books because it takes a limited component to write the glyphs inside. This component can only be obtained once every 3 irl days(might be changed to a week) and is also used to preform rituals. We are currently considering adding a cool down on how often books can be created as well. If the source of the ink is compromised, it takes additional irl days to repair the Star Well. One being destroyed could render the Sorcerer powerless for quite a while, leaving them open to whoever or whatever decides to target them. 

Another drawback is Astral Sorcery's incompatibility with most other magics. Tox will work on expanding the list of incompatible magics listed in the lore. Speaking of incompatibilities, that's another drawback to the magic. It can't be stacked with most other forms of magic like Arcanism could be.

I firmly believe that not all magic needs to have physical weakness, aside from over exertion of the mana pool which is very easy to do with the higher tier spells

On 1/24/2021 at 6:21 PM, altiar1011 said:

3. General lack of redlines.

Stay tuned for more redlines. Thank you for the suggestions.

Very very late to this thread, but I've been intending to comment on this for a little while.

Timegating rituals/specific weaknesses to spells/incompatibility with other Magic are NOT drawbacks/downsides. They are minor inconveniences and do not promote roleplay. I agree that not all Magics need to have a devastating downside that makes you a wet noodle, or cripples your character in some way, but upon getting the Magic/reaching a certain point, there should be an explicit detrimental or unfavorable change that serves its purpose to promote roleplay and not just exist to balance the Magic out. I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, there's no roleplay that can be generated from "oh no my wand is broken, now I have to pull out my BOOK and cast!" or "I can only do x many rituals because I can't get another component until three days later/a week later!"

Despite the fact that I disagree with the thematic execution of this lore and I think any sort of Astral "Magics" are better left off the server, it would be wise to write something in that not only makes the character consider if they want to pick up the Magic, but a gimmick that makes the player ponder on the Magic's pros and cons. A Magic/CA transformation that anyone will near instantly say "yes" to probably needs more balancing not only to ensure the Magic isn't bloated/overpowered, but to ensure that roleplay can be created based off the unfavorable effects of the acquired lore application.

3 hours ago, Philposting said:

"oh no my wand is broken, now I have to pull out my BOOK and cast!" or "I can only do x many rituals because I can't get another component until three days later/a week later!"

If you actually read the updated lore and comments on this thread, you'd know this has all been addressed and changed two weeks ago; there are no more casting implements other than the spell book which is very susceptible to anything happening to it during casting. Without it you can't even use the magic, which is a huge downside in comparison to other magics where you can cast out of thin air. The current drawbacks are listed as a tldr section that's labeled as "brief synopsis" in a spoiler. Please give actual current examples as to why you believe the magic is overpowered or not balanced compared to other existing magics.

Thematically the lore fits into the server because the stars are shards of left over energy from the Creator that forms the Veil, as mentioned in the space lore written from 2017. If accepted, there will be plenty of roleplay generated related to astronomy in LOTC, and study of the Veil.

8 hours ago, Vaynth said:

If you actually read the updated lore and comments on this thread, you'd know this has all been addressed and changed two weeks ago; there are no more casting implements other than the spell book which is very susceptible to anything happening to it during casting. Without it you can't even use the magic, which is a huge downside in comparison to other magics where you can cast out of thin air. The current drawbacks are listed as a tldr section that's labeled as "brief synopsis" in a spoiler. Please give actual current examples as to why you believe the magic is overpowered or not balanced compared to other existing magics.

Isaac's example was perhaps a bad one so as me and him are kind of in agreement on this issue I'll elaborate. Isaac, and myself to a degree, believes that all magics should have some permanent physical or mental downside to them that applies even when not casting. For instance, the voidal mage's weakness or a the obsessions of a blood mage. This magic lacks any such permanent downsides so it would be a straight upgrade for say a melee combat character as they'd now have ranged abilities with 0 consequences. While the inability to sustain other magic's is perhaps a step in the right direction we feel that it is too minor as to use the example of a man with a full-thanhium armoury he will not care about losing access to druidism and will therefore only receive upsides. In regards to an issue with the existence of an astral magic I personally have no stake in that debate.

24 minutes ago, Mavromino said:

Isaac's example was perhaps a bad one so as me and him are kind of in agreement on this issue I'll elaborate. Isaac, and myself to a degree, believes that all magics should have some permanent physical or mental downside to them that applies even when not casting. For instance, the voidal mage's weakness or a the obsessions of a blood mage. This magic lacks any such permanent downsides so it would be a straight upgrade for say a melee combat character as they'd now have ranged abilities with 0 consequences. While the inability to sustain other magic's is perhaps a step in the right direction we feel that it is too minor as to use the example of a man with a full-thanhium armoury he will not care about losing access to druidism and will therefore only receive upsides. In regards to an issue with the existence of an astral magic I personally have no stake in that debate.

This put my complaint into better words. Like I said, I think all Magics should have some permanent ailment (not necessarily crippling) that makes the player and character ponder on whether or not the Magic is really worth it. If it’s an instant “yes” and a straight upgrade, it needs more substance in its drawbacks.

And I’m glad that amendments have been made to my examples, but my point above still stands.

3 hours ago, Mavromino said:

For instance, the voidal mage's weakness or a the obsessions of a blood mage. This magic lacks any such permanent downsides so it would be a straight upgrade for say a melee combat character as they'd now have ranged abilities with 0 consequences.

Because Astral Sorcery is gathering a material, writing a glyph with said material and activating it using mana, we don't see why there would be a permanent physical handicap as it doesn't enhance the body either. The power comes from the material itself, not from the caster; studying a source material and learning how to use it. It is similar to alchemy in this sense. There is always a chance that a spell book could be stolen or damaged in or out of combat which would leave the caster just as defenseless as any regular descendent with no powers, except they might be left with mana exhaustion on top of that if they were already casting. This would cause Sorcerers to consider how they should utilize their magic, because using it offensively could make them an easy target.

It is not an upgrade to or even possible to be a viable melee fighter while using Astral Sorcery because as stated in the lore, both hands need to be occupied with casting and the user has to keep focus. In other words, you can't hold a weapon or physically defend yourself and cast at the same time- it's sacrificing one for the other. If you have to abruptly dodge something your focus will be broken. The only spell in relation to melee is the conjurable Cosmic Blade which is practically the same as a normal blade once created except you can make it hot to the touch with two extra emotes. It also can't be used while casting, like any other blade. Also the user can't wear more than half plate or casting just won't work. Yes a player can go back to being a regular melee combat character when they would rather be more low-profile, but both can't be done at the same time.

At this point we're leaving it up to the LT to tell us if what we have is sufficient or needs to be worked on.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.