Lore Shelving & The Status of Botany

squakhawk

7 minutes ago, InkGolem3k said:

I was told the cooldown on herb nodes was 5 hours, did this change? The story team have a very warped perspective on what "fairly short" means if the cooldown is the same.

And while we're at it since tech team said it was up to you all, the ST team, change the herbs to be player based instead of server based. I'm sick and tired of having to run halfway across the map to grab an herb from a node and see that someone else got to it first. Like I said in the tech discord we don't have fight over each other for vortex nodes, herbs should be the same. This is ESPECIALLY if the team want herbs to not only be used for signs but their innate abilities.

They're half that length, and have been for some time. 

For the time we're keeping an eye on how herbs are distributed and making their way into the hands of players. We're taking the statistics with a grain of salt granted we're still placing some-onehundred more herbnodes down before we're going to call it finished for the time being. 

3 hours ago, ๖ۣۣۜUnwillingly said:

i know 

i was making a joke ab the inevitable complaints there will be about the lore shelving because grr st bad for shelving lore

yeah and now im gonna throw rocks at you :/

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

They're half that length, and have been for some time. 

For the time we're keeping an eye on how herbs are distributed and making their way into the hands of players. We're taking the statistics with a grain of salt granted we're still placing some-onehundred more herbnodes down before we're going to call it finished for the time being. 

I know I've stated this opinion to you in private but I want to reiterate it here. I see no benefit to making herbs a rare resource. Forcing the players to fight over a mechanic does nothing to add to roleplay, and I for one loathe the idea of being forced to participate in Vortex to buy them from the people who camp them. And I know for a fact that there are non-alchemists camping nodes in order to sell them. I am here to roleplay, not to spend hours running around the map in the hope that I might get an herb, nor am I keen on spending hours farming resources to sell in order to buy said herbs from campers. The point should be to encourage more roleplay, not to limit it by making herbs a scarce resource. Making them a scarcity is a solution to a made up problem.

11 hours ago, InkGolem3k said:

I was told the cooldown on herb nodes was 5 hours, did this change? The story team have a very warped perspective on what "fairly short" means if the cooldown is the same.

And while we're at it since tech team said it was up to you all, the ST team, change the herbs to be player based instead of server based. I'm sick and tired of having to run halfway across the map to grab an herb from a node and see that someone else got to it first. Like I said in the tech discord we don't have fight over each other for vortex nodes, herbs should be the same. This is ESPECIALLY if the team want herbs to not only be used for signs but their innate abilities.

Herb nodes are set to a 180 minute cool down. Not all are placed, yet, but many herbs will have upwards of 20 nodes spread across the server. 

16 hours ago, UnBaed said:

when is vortex being shelved

hi

On 1/25/2021 at 6:16 PM, ๖ۣۣۜUnwillingly said:

i know 

i was making a joke ab the inevitable complaints there will be about the lore shelving because grr st bad for shelving lore

I'm just waiting for them to shelve every race except human so we can have our school rp server. I want principal tythus and vice principal telanir to send people to detention. 

So this is just food for thought, but.

Scarcity is an unfortunate necessity of any resource that's both sought out and is actively influencing the economy. However, having the current nodes set up to be global allows people to oocly camp out sections of the map and particular resources, enabling one portion of a playerbase to have that resource in excess while all others do not, and then charging exorbitant prices. (Which is, bah, inflation! the thing we want to avoid for now, it being a new map)

I personally think that scarcity should be enforced not by global nodes, but by personally keyed nodes that are varied by cooldown times on the herbs themselves depending on their lore-appointed scarcity, as well as the actual scarcity of the nodes (which would take some pressure off the teams for plotting in all the herb nodes anyways). 

For an example, a rare herb will only have 5 nodes map wide, with 24 hour cooldowns (just as a ballpark) 

While a common herb will have 25-30 nodes, and a 3 hour cooldown.

This will enable people to use the herb plugin as they do vortex, each with individual grind limits per day (based on how the herbs refresh, or maybe have herb grinding take energy?) while still allowing playerbases to not feel cheated when they run for 50 minutes straight around the map without a single herb gained for it. 

@SquakHawk
Thoughts?

On 1/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, TimberBuff said:

Herb nodes are set to a 180 minute cool down. Not all are placed, yet, but many herbs will have upwards of 20 nodes spread across the server. 

3 hours... After a 30 - 50min run to find said herb only to be told "SORRY, TOO LATE AHAHAH". 3 hours is not a "fairly short" cooldown. So then comes the option... wait 3 hours or try again another time where you risk the same thing.

Make the nodes personal, not global. 

7 hours ago, MissToni said:

3 hours... After a 30 - 50min run to find said herb only to be told "SORRY, TOO LATE AHAHAH". 3 hours is not a "fairly short" cooldown. So then comes the option... wait 3 hours or try again another time where you risk the same thing.

Make the nodes personal, not global. 

Currently impossible to make personal nodes at the very moment. It requires heavy dev attention and with that, botany nodes will have people get a stack a day individually, where we could be producing 40 stacks herbs a day by a nation that wants to go around doing that. There's alot of bad things about personal nodes, so it's really us trying to decide where to go from here.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:09 AM, ShannonLeigh said:

I know I've stated this opinion to you in private but I want to reiterate it here. I see no benefit to making herbs a rare resource. Forcing the players to fight over a mechanic does nothing to add to roleplay, and I for one loathe the idea of being forced to participate in Vortex to buy them from the people who camp them. And I know for a fact that there are non-alchemists camping nodes in order to sell them. I am here to roleplay, not to spend hours running around the map in the hope that I might get an herb, nor am I keen on spending hours farming resources to sell in order to buy said herbs from campers. The point should be to encourage more roleplay, not to limit it by making herbs a scarce resource. Making them a scarcity is a solution to a made up problem.

*throws potion and kills player in combat

Alchemy makes me snore but you have a valid point about limitations and campers. 

Spoiler

This is a joke don't extend my ban please

Edited by rukio