The Defeat at Fort Hyspia

Draeris

mQ6NbfnAt5-uDYXBkyaj7I9ApWKq3sFnI4W-5P8Vnxh6GD_2AXWUx76GYY3spAghGvIXAlCtERGmAzQTMX3auKNBXP8Ab6kGCSgJa-7YKbOQMIeqAjOdP4wmP_RD1Dn4hQnVEWT0

THE DEFEAT AT FORT HYSPIA 

@repl1ca @GoldWolfGaming @Zoprak_Visconti

The tent had become increasingly crowded, as clergy from all corners ventured in to debate and cast a vote. Organizationally, the First Ecumenical Council of Albarosa was rather hectic. Clergymen voted despite being prohibited to in the first round, and the Chamberlain tallied them regardless. Arguments between those favouring the quick process, and others feeling constrained by it, erupted amidst ongoing discussions. The proposals formulated took the lives of four different interpretations by four different camps at least, to the pain of the fatigued High Pontiff. Yet despite it all: the council functioned, and the clergy were able to represent their views accordingly. Decisions were made, and the delegations could depart knowing they had done a good job.

A mixed view on the quality of the council was not a bad view: and for Owyn III, who was still fresh on the Pontifical throne, such was sufficient. It seemed that every delegation achieved at least a minor victory, from canonizing their icons to stopping the beatifications of their foes. Jorenus saw its traditional opposition to reforms & bureaucracy to an electoral triumph, while the ecclesiastical puritans stopped Owyn III from needlessly re-authoring the old Canon Law. To a degree, His Holiness was pleased with seeing every party as partial victors from this council. But that pleasure wasn’t enough to quell a more profound sense of defeat. Once the council had concluded, all that Owyn III felt was the desire to take a fresh breath of air outside. 

As he walked towards the outskirts of Osanora, his hunting Castor Crossbow in hand: Manfried, Alfred & Antonius would sprint after him. For a moment Owyn III forgot that he was the Pontiff with the largest security entourage, he was now simply a man that didn’t get what he wanted. Aiming his crossbow at a faraway bird, the three would catch up to him. 

“Your Holiness..” Alfred spoke out of breath, going to stand besides him.

“Ahh, Episcopus Henrikev.” Owyn III replied dryly, tilting his head in an attempt to aim “How fared the Albarosan council for you?"

“It had fared well” Alfred smiled regaining his composure as the other two flanked him “not what ich expected, but it went well.”  

His Holiness would not see Alfred’s reassuring nod, as his eyes concentrated at the bird ahead
“Episcopus, do you find me to be lacking a particular insight on certain ecclesiastical matters?”

Alfred chuckled “Ich am sure that you wouldn’t be here, as the High Pontiff which only GOD ordains, not any other human..” he paused “if it weren’t for your insights, Your Holiness.”

“Hmm.” Owyn III would freeze, putting his hand on the trigger “How about my style of leadership. The way I handle my responsibilities?” 

Alfred nodded once more “Nobody is perfect. But yours is satisfying and brings success, nein?”

“Why then.” Owyn III would pull the trigger, the bolt penetrating the bird’s neck “Did I find you in opposition to nearly all my proposals?”

Manfried eyed Alfred out of curiosity, as Antonius swallowed in anticipation: it had after all been a surprise for some in the Curia that a staunch ally of the High Pontiff turned against all of his proposals. 

The Bishop of Henrikev would clear his throat, now looking at the solemn face of Owyn as he had lowered his crossbow “Your Holiness, these were just mein honest responses. The geist of your proposals were good. But the way they were worded were too vague for my support. I hope you aren’t taking this personally?”

Owyn III sighed, now fully looking at Alfred “Of course not. I called a council to hear what you had to say, not to hear my thoughts spoken through your mouth.” 

“Exactly Your Holiness.” Antonius smiled, clasping his hands behind his back “this is no different from when the Curia disagrees with you, no?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Owyn III chuckled slightly, reloading his crossbow “I suppose I should be desensitized to disagreements by now.”

“I’m happy that you’re not, Your Holiness.” Manfried interjected “A human Pontiff is the best thing the faith can wish for.”

And with that, the quartet of fatigued clerics would return to their carriages: heading home to their respective dioceses. Throughout the journey Owyn III struggled to place the council in his head. He felt disappointed at the results, but he didn’t regret proposing them. He felt solemn, yet reassured by the words of his clergy. “I guess it was a defeat.” he mumbled to himself, placing his head against the carriage window “but an okay one, I suppose.”

After returning to Providence from Osanora, Cardinal St. Julia immediately takes to the altar, kneeling down before the cross raised high above in the nave. He prayed; prayed for the Church and for it's ensured success and achievements in the future. In his mind, the discussion at the council attested to this and to the eternal life of the Mother Church; that it is and always will be a great shepherd to it's flock.

After returning from Osanora, Alfred Episcopus Henrikev sat down in the middle of the road to Haense, leaning against a rock that was nearby. At the same time, his anger reached its maximum, being both disappointed and tired above all. "Ich will never have a normal day..ich swear to you, mein Lord.." the wearly man signs the Hussariyan cross three times, saying the prayer before heading to his bed. "At least, His Holiness has been saved, thanks Godan."

Edited by repl1ca