Edition II of Fi'Maehr

Fi’Maehr

In Pursuit of New Knowledge

Published 359 ES

rCGyKywiCiOTHU1-Z_HMCooebAkwY_FjKuh2Sdur6qE_mnBNlZX1YEiiIreJ4osnSMYgYD2dy7lBTigXXcwGXG9faKG81Y_yulwpk4e5VGyNwLTdKjBkLgP6EcGzKBTylluPZteT

This newspaper was written on the part of several elves within Haense, in order to both familiarize our valah lliran with our habits and provide information to new elves entering the city. It should be expected Fi’Maehr will be posted every one to three elvish weeks, given time for the collection and articulation of information.

rCGyKywiCiOTHU1-Z_HMCooebAkwY_FjKuh2Sdur6qE_mnBNlZX1YEiiIreJ4osnSMYgYD2dy7lBTigXXcwGXG9faKG81Y_yulwpk4e5VGyNwLTdKjBkLgP6EcGzKBTylluPZteT

Notable Mali in Haense

Tarathiel Asul’onn of the Lily, Kastellen Steward of Karosgrad

This edition’s notable mali is the well known Tarathiel Asul’onn, proprietor of  The Old Stout Crow, and Kastellen Steward. She has been in Haense for over a decade, if not more, and has maintained its tavern establishment since Arcas.

Miss Asul’onn served eight consecutive years on the Royal Duma, along with maintaining her found family. One of her proudest achievements, she says, is rustling the old tavern in New Reza back to life. She took an inactive workplace and turned it into a buzzing hub of activity.

I applaud Miss Asul’onn for her marvelous abilities of multi-tasking but also for managing such a chaotic environment as The Old Stout Crow. Our interview was unfortunately cut short due to multiple interruptions regarding cries of vampiric entities, a Father of the Church demanding to see people’s teeth, and several tense moments of people accusing each other of being “Blood-Suckers”. 

That just goes to show, Tarathiel is an outstanding member of the city of Karosgrad for being able to endure such a chaotic workplace. I work in a clinic, and it’s seldom ever this bad.

Drink of the Year

I am proud to announce that this year’s “Drink of the Year” has been declared the Pear Cider, available at Lune’s Herbs at Merchant Stall IIV.

gEvdgeR5w18G8YQDEjv5iIOWdjyjLN-XkHgURb_FPdfMkk3_nafngIs7sOKdzZsiqsypqyQKFkemiIVeywfoqy7GV89RhLLEgQJTWRmwubF2cALepBPYqLh_QL4czhkyPXIubj-q

Most spectacularly this drink is non-alcoholic, so it is perfect for gatherings with individuals who are unable to drink or choose not to. This cider has a flavor that I can only refer to as “autumnally happy” and that should definitely say something!

The Author recommends serving Lune’s Pear Cider with caricature boards and lighter dishes for the beginning of a meal. I served this at a mid-day brunch for my llir and I, alongside some fresh mozzarella and prosciutto; we were not disappointed in the least with how well these got on with each. Prosciutto tends to be a bit salty, as does the mozzarella, but Lune’s Pear Cider truly balanced it all out.

Recommended by a Librarian

With our departures from Karinah’siol, many of us have lost access to the unending amount of books sheltered in the Eternal Library and, thus, we must seek progress in other temples of knowledge. Thankfully, Karosgrad boasts many such institutions, possessing books of the highest quality, readily available for all to read. It was in such a place, in the library of the Northern Geographical Society, that we came across a newly published paper, written by April Vallei’onn, titled “ON THE METHOD OF SCIENTIFIC THINKERS ''. This fascinating essay lays down the steps the scientific mind must follow when attempting to uncover the mysteries of nature. While not necessarily unique in its topic, it offers yet another authentic perspective on the process, the author describing the scientific method from its own point of view, diligently constructed after many years of personal studies and investigations. It is commendable that the paper itself is simple enough and makes use of examples so as to be understood and teach even those uninitiated in the sciences how to tackle problems like a scientist. Overall, this new study is an enjoyable read, concise yet thorough, and utterly perfect for those aspiring scientists wishing to grasp the means of pursuing progress… or even for those that are simply bored of reading whatever propaganda the Silver State  is spewing and desire reading something actually intelligent.

~Maenor Aildhuin

Analysis of Reported Actions

When I left my home early morning in the month of the Deep Cold, I was not expecting to be startled or swayed by a newspaper. But I was. There at a stand, for three mines, I found to be an article in the Karosgrad Times, titled in big, bold letters “CROWN PRINCE MAKES NOBLE LADY ‘AS UGLY AS SHE IS INSIDE". Needless to say this title inspired both wretched curiosity and morbid fear of what I may read.

From my own time in a bygone era of the Silver State, I was filled with a dread that the Prince-Regent had done something truly horrible to punish another. Much to my surprise, it wasn’t something like the tongue-cutting I had seen practiced in the early days of New Reza or the many hits of an axe to a criminal in Old Reza. Nor was it something so heinous as what I have watched High Elves do unto Humans, such as “crowning” them in liquid gold or turning them into lab subjects.

He simply shored up the Lady’s hair! It is just hair and it will grow back in a matter of time, the same mine did when a far more fiendish foe cut mine as a trophy. I was relieved, to say the least, but still mildly perturbed by the anger that was reported. I highly doubt that the Prince-Regent will remain as such, as most of us begin to mellow with time as we settle into our rhythms. Whatever the woman did, a hair cutting seems leaps and bounds better then a caning, or a lashing.

Open Letter Column

A letter from common housemage

There had long been times where I would be working either in a tavern or the clinic where wary eyes see brooms float on by or medical needles cleaning themselves basked in the glow of my mana. There have been people who have been rightly suspicious due to previous notions of magic and mages. I first learned housemagery to do the chores I did not have the time for. My oem’iian were too young to be left alone and I needed an extra set of hands so to speak. I ask you, the reader, to continue on with an open mind. Housemagery is not a voidal magic and does not require a connection to a deity. It is simply using the energy within to help around the house and other trusted areas. Little dolls that come to life to play with young oem’iian or tools that clean your house while you write up the next report all come from the mage, and nowhere else. I love my magic and the time afforded me, and I ask for a less wary gaze when magic is being casted. Unless brownies are involved, then be wary of every single bite.

~A Housemage

Body Pillows: Against Canonist Law?

In most unfortunate news has been the resurfacing of long pillows, commonly called body pillows due to their, boasting embroidery of a mali’ame. The long pillow is typically meant to be held or laid against at night and I was deeply perturbed to see such an item in the markets. As a follower of Maehr’sae Hiylun’ehya, I have a strong stance against the mixing of Elvish and Human Blood, which this “artful” pillow seems to entice. Is there no law that could be made to prevent the creation and sale of these to the masses? No Canonist creed that prevents the sin-free ownership of such an item? Surely, a man must not attend confession often enough if he owns this sort of thing, or a woman, in fact. I am unable to tell the gender of this mali’ame upon the pillow.

In fact, if there are no laws that exist currently, I implore the Aulic Council of Haense and the Church to do so! It ought to be a crime considering how disgusting it is. The Silver State was long known for its “Dichotomy of Lewdness'' which long discouraged extramarital relations and other… similar activities; perhaps something like that could be introduced in Haense and the Church to prevent the lewdness being directed at elves? 

A Word with the Lord Marshal

Friedrich Barclay, Lord Marshal, Duke of Reinmar

I had the joy of delivering this bright young man to Manfred and Isabella just shy of thirty years ago now. Needless to say, I have not been disappointed in the man he grew to be. Recently appointed as Haense’s new Lord Marshal, this young Barclay upholds a long, prestigious family history. I managed to get ahold of our newest Aulic Councilman to ask him about his plans during his tenure in his position.

His most important plan, I argue, is the reinstallation of a sense of brotherhood in his commandants. I lobbied the question of whether or not mali would be included in this, due to prior issues regarding the HRA and anti-elf sentiment, I received a relieving answer;

“Why would it not?”

-Friedrich Barclay, 11th of the Deep Cold, Year 9

There are already several elves in the HRA and I am more than relieved to know that this Lord Marshal shares sentiments similar to mine. His toleration of racism is nonexistent, as such makes for poor bonds in the brotherhood of arms. 

“If they are unable to trust elves because of their race, that is a problem.”

-Friedrich Barclay, 11th of the Deep Cold, Year 9

I am quite happy to hear such statements, and truly, it seems Haense has become a home for all elves in these times. Among the frost and snow, we have at last found kinship that has been lost since the days of the First Malinor. At long last, cousins are able to fight side by side, without a bladed bite held for each other. I’ve high hopes for this Lord Marshal, as I would any other.

As I stood to leave, he stopped me a moment and shared one final remark, that should undoubtedly ease the uneasy minds and hearts of those who have come to live in Haense.

“The Haenseni Royal Army is an institution and a professional army that has strived to protect the kingdom and its people. Whoever lives in Haense is its people, no matter their race.”

- Friedrich Barclay, 11th of the Deep Cold, Year 9

"This mention of the fabled 'body pillow' is important," Haskir remarks as he flips through the newspaper, "Vivyne, place an order for me before they're outlawed!" @JoanOfArc

*Alad would rush into the guild to speak to the Guild Master*

"Mondblume, they are thinking about banning the body pillows. Get those merch for the Adventure bros sold before they ban them. I told you that if we weren't the first that someone would cut into our merch plans."

Maenor nods in content as he read the newspaper, overly satisfied with himself for the meagre part he played in its writing. "Hope they ban these degenerate pillows as soon as possible. Lust has no place among Mali'thill or other educated societies." the elf would comment casually at the end, conviction in his tone, within the safe confines of his Haeseni home.

"First week of being here and they want to introduce such degenerate items. Perhaps that was acceptable where they came from but not here." remarked Basil Moroul.

One April Vallei'onn is very happy to be noticed for her work! with a side smile, she'd move to ship off this edition towards her talonnii.