[✗] [Magic Lore] Runesmithing (Redux)

Quavinir_Twiceborn

A deafening silence interrupted only by the subtle sound of footsteps on stone and clanking of armor hangs on the Deep Roads as the dwarves venture further down. Their commander raises a fist, and hushes. The party stops in their movements, and he raises the lantern over a ledge so that the light may shine on what laid below, an abandoned industrial mining facility.

His breath shakes, his hands tremble as he falls to his knees, tears streaming from his eyes. "It's beautiful, we found it!" He clears his throat, and stands back up to address his company, shouting an order, "GET TO IT, THERE'S WORK TO DO IF WE WANT TO GET THIS PLACE RUNNING! I WANT TO SEE SHIPMENTS SENT BACK UP IN TONS BY THE MONTH'S END!"

The common laborers raise their tools triumphantly into the air before dispersing throughout the mines, and part by part the machines begin to hum, the cogs begin to turn. The commander lets out a hearty laugh, and raises his voice to address the crowd. "The surface shall tremble in fear at our works, and all shall know soon again that the great dwarven salt mines are operational and pumping!"

Spoiler

Photos of the salt mine below Lake Erie - Business Insider

Seriously, I disagree with many things in this but all is fair in **lore games**. Dwarves were working on a rewrite anyways, expect to see it posted in a few weeks.

Nobody harass Quav tho, that's cringe.

2 hours ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

Rune of Darkness

maybe you put this in the section and I just didn't understand but out of curiosity is this limited to the darkness only occuring when the rune is visible to the light? or is it constant despite it being hidden on your person somewhere

the idea was making an talisman that at will I could unveil to block any holy light from a holy spell, as one of the paladin spells I'm pretty sure is a blinding spell

2 hours ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

Additionally, those within the radius are granted immunity from blinding light, both from spells, or other phenomena.

specifically in regard to this

@Quavinir_Twiceborn

Quavinir? Cringe

+1

3 hours ago, Abyssus said:

maybe you put this in the section and I just didn't understand but out of curiosity is this limited to the darkness only occuring when the rune is visible to the light? or is it constant despite it being hidden on your person somewhere

the idea was making an talisman that at will I could unveil to block any holy light from a holy spell, as one of the paladin spells I'm pretty sure is a blinding spell

specifically in regard to this

@Quavinir_Twiceborn

The Rune of Darkness is always activated, and cannot be turned off. The darkness effect shall still comtinue even if you have it stuffed in a bag.

7 hours ago, Lhindir_ said:

Rune of Binding
Description: Also known as the rune of sealing, the Rune of Binding is a simple but extremely effective rune. Capable of binding and holding anything that is touching the surface of the stone at the time of the rune’s carving, it is commonly used to hold component parts together, or to magically seal something shut. Anything, (anything not living, or organic), that is touching the stone whilst it is activated becomes bound to the stone, held in place as if the stone itself melted around it. Nothing can be taken from the stone, save unless the item itself, or the runic enchantment on the stone is broken.

Mechanics:
-Runes of Binding take 2 emotes to carve, with the rune glowing and activating on the 2nd emote, once blood has been applied.
-The Rune of Binding acts as an effective magic super glue. Anything non-organic touching the stone it is carved on will be attached to the stone at the point(s) of contact as if it and the stone were one singular object. This bind cannot be undone except for destroying the rune itself.
-This rune cannot be attached to anything living, nor any constructs, nor can it be carved or activated in the heat of battle.
-This rune may be utilized both for RP items, or used as an explanation for contraptions, machinery, or other such things in builds.
-The rune itself is only as durable as the stone itself, and though it is not possible to separate the stone from the objects it is bound to whilst the rune is active, it is possible for the rune to be torn or crumble apart given enough stress is put on the stone. Additionally, the rune can be smashed apart, which will immediately unbind anything attached to the stone.
-The Rune of Binding requires, at a minimum, the flat area of a circle 3 inches in diameter to be carved onto, and can affect a stone object up to the size of a square meter, or an ingame block.

at [redacted] & [redacted] for enriching me with this roleplay experience, can't wait to see it come back!!!!!!??????????

Could anyone actually tell me what issues people had with Runesmithing? Why has there been multiple rewrites? This is coming from someone who has been asked to take a shot at it and most of my friends know how much I disdain writing magic lore.

5 hours ago, Gaius Marius said:

Could anyone actually tell me what issues people had with Runesmithing? Why has there been multiple rewrites? This is coming from someone who has been asked to take a shot at it and most of my friends know how much I disdain writing magic lore.

Runesmithing's previously accepted iteration was a exceedingly powerful and freeform, with almost unlimited potential, yet it was used only by a select few, who were careful and choosy with their use of Runesmithing. It is hard to understate how powerful old runesmithing was, and many bear a bad taste in their mouth due to previous interactions with it. When lore-games standards were set in place a rewrite was required, both limiting the power and effects of magics, and requiring what is possible being fully written out and quantified. The first official rewrite of the magic did not follow the standards required, was far too powerful, and was thus denied.
2 additional rewrites were made in a similar timespan to each other by different players. One was finished, and was subsequently denied for problems similar to the initial denied lore (being far too vague, all encompassing, and powerful to oversimplify the reasons), whilst the other has been noted as WIP since its submission 6 months ago, and has not been reviewed.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.