[✓] [World Lore] Colorstone

Colorstone

See the source image

Colorstone (Raw form)

Colorstone is an ivory-colored, brittle rock which can be located in most caves around Almaris. It is often mistaken as alum due to its appearance and similar formation. It is light in weight, weighing much less than its weight in regular stone. Due to its high brittleness, Colorstone can easily be crushed by hand with adequate force into a fine dust.     

Applications (Raw Form)

Colorstone alone is not useful in its raw form and often doesn’t serve any other purpose than being a catalyst for creating colored metals when introduced to certain materials in heat. When metal is dipped in or painted with a mixture of one part colorstone dust, three parts water, and one part receptor material. Multiple mixes can be used to make different colored parts. Mixing receptor metals can also create different shades of colors. Once done, the piece can be placed in a moderately high temperature (About 500 degrees Celsius or higher). The Colorstone will begin to change the color of a chosen metal depending on the receptor materials used in a moderately paced “bleeding” pattern until the entire part which was exposed to the mix changes color. The resulting metal, although it keeps its original properties, will keep its color permanently compared to paint which can be scratched off and weather. A Colorstone infused piece can be identified from paint from it's different color and metallic luster similar to the original metal. For example, a red Colorstone infused piece of ferrum will keep it's reflective surface and luster.

Currently known receptors and the resulting colors are as follows:

• Aurum and Colorstone will result in a red color. Aurum can be applied with Aurum dust.
  • Calcium and Colorstone will result in a orange color. Calcium can be applied with ground bones or rocks such as limestone.
  • Salt and Colorstone will result in a yellow color. Salt can be applied with common table salt.
  • Copper and Colorstone will result in a green to blue color, depending on how much is used, green being a lighter concentration (About 1/2 part copper to the mix except for one part to get green). Copper can be applied with small bits of copper ore or metal.
  • Potash and Colorstone will result in an purple color. Potash can be applied with fertilizers and ground rocks that contain potassium salt.

Red Lines (Raw Form)

Spoiler

-Colorstone infused metal is purely aesthetic and gives no combat advantage.

-Given it’s likeness, an inexperienced miner or smith may assume Colorstone to be alum.

-To properly use Colorstone, one must learn it from a knowledgeable smith in roleplay or experiment.

-Metal will still retain its original properties even if Colorstone is infused.

-Colorstone can only be infused with materials which are not already aesthetically heavy. An example of an aesthetically heavy material would be lunarite or anorum.

-Colorstone alone serves no purpose unless dipped in or painted with a receptor material, Colorstone dust, and water mix in a 1-1-3 part pattern respectively, and placed in a temperature of 500 degrees Celsius or higher.

-Receptor materials can be mixed together to create mixed shades, as long as the 1 part is kept.  Ex. 1/2 part Copper and 1/2 part salt mixed with  1 part Colorstone and 3 parts water will create a yellow-green color.

-Multi-colored metals can be created, this is done by dipping or painting parts of the metal piece into the colorstone mix and heating it.

-Using Colorstone in copper ingots or any copper alloys will always result in a green color, however another receptor material can change the shade of green.

-The only way to tell if something is colorstone infused compared to paint is that the metal keeps it's reflective properties and luster. With paint, luster is taken away.

Harvesting Method

Harvesting Colorstone is a relatively simple process if one can identify it. To effectively harvest it, it would be wise to bring a container to catch dust as it falls during extraction. It is best to take off chunks of the rock at a time from the top down to ensure the Colorstone Rock will not fall and blast into a collection of pebbles and dust. Colorstone can be a non-lethal eye and lung irritant, but if the miner extracts the Colorstone rock slowly and does not release too much dust residue into the air, this should not become a problem. Once extracted, the Colorstone can be crushed by hand into a dust.

Colorstone dust may bear this description:

“A pile of fine dust which is ivory in color and has a texture is similar to that of soft sand. It is often mistaken for alum powder. Even if an inexperienced miner or smith knew what it was, they would not know it’s name.”

Harvesting Red Lines

Spoiler

-The source of Colorstone is not common knowledge. One may only assume where to find it and what it is used for.

-Mechanically, Colorstone is represented with a white concrete block and sugar as an item.

-Colorstone is a Tier 2 Open node. No ST signature required.

Purpose

Firstly, I know I am going to get the response, “why not just paint?” To that I say this material is simply more aesthetically pleasing in role play than just paint. Most importantly, the metal keeps its luster since the original material keeps its properties. Paint does not give much luster to objects, this material does. Colorstone is meant to be a mundane medium to Warforging. To put it simply, I wanted to make aesthetic metals without the use of alchemy, but less flashy. I purposefully made this material not well known because I don’t want people making purple armor everywhere I go, plus it encourages smithing roleplay.

Spoiler

Thanks to the following for advice and peer review:

BDanecker
Nivindil

Change Log

Spoiler

2/17/2021 -

Changing to Tier 2 open material.

Added the full spectrum of colors.

Added amounts needed to produce colored metal.

Added descriptors to tell from paint.

Added ability to make multi-color.

Added how to tell apart from paint.

I'd suggest adding some more pictures if there's any out there. I like that there's not different color variants and that you make the different colors with other ingredients.

Very cute. Lore's cute too. +1

A very clever and interesting idea, i like it

On 2/6/2021 at 12:04 AM, Sri said:

Is there a redline against rainbow armor?

A valid point, the post has been edited accordingly along with the addition of an application process.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.