A Supplemental Study of the Heavens

_Indy

LFtpmKp.png

A SUPPLEMENTAL STUDY OF THE HEAVENS

-By Ferek Frostbeard-

|Introduction|

It was brought to my attention that, during the course of my Initial Study of the Heavens, that I did not know the specific dimensions and capabilities of the telescope within the observatory residing with the Northern Geographic Society building in Karosgrad, Haense. I brought it upon myself to utilize the extensive library of the NGS to mathematically determine the capabilities of our telescope. I have attached my written findings here, and will describe each element in tow with this report.

aRsYFnu.jpg

Figure 1: Calculations and basic design

|Lens|

Arguably the most important aspect of the design, the calculation for the lens parameters was something of a multiple leveled puzzle. It is well known that light appears to 'bend' as it passes through a medium, in this case a highly polished derivative of sapphire. At almost 700mm in diameter, the objective lens (Lo, the one farthest from your observing eye) is a behemoth. Oppositely, the eyepiece (Le) is of a more appreciable size, but still expertly polished and shaped. The convex shape of the lenses is what creates their magnifying power, and matching the curvature of the lenses together to create a 'virtual image', as I'm told the term is, is a very specific and finely tuned process. The virtual image of our telescope is almost 250mm from the eyepiece, perhaps lending to why the body of the telescope is almost five meters long.

|Body|

The body of the telescope is made of sturdy pine, probably chosen to offset the considerable weight of the objective lens. The body of the telescope has been sealed on the exterior with a thick lacquer, the interior lined with a thin layer of tar to prevent any exterior light from entering the focal chamber. The telescope itself has a control device near the eyepiece that is not pictured in my diagram above, which is used to control the pitch and yaw of the telescope. While the control unit could use some more fine tuning from a good tinkerer, it serves it's purpose admirably for my studies within the observatory.

|Dimensions|

The dimensions of the telescope are as follows:

Length: 5 meters

Diameter of Objective Lens: ~670 mm

Depth of Objective Lens: 50 mm

Diameter of Eyepiece: 35 mm

Depth of Eyepiece: 5 mm

Magnification Power of Telescope: 19 times magnification

Focal Length of Eyepiece: 250 mm

Focal Length of Objective Lens: 4750 mm

|Conclusion|

I have spent the greater part of our ninth year in this Second Age dedicated to understanding the processes behind this telescope, so that I might replicate more efficient versions of it in the future. I believe the science of optics has many applications for our continued forays into discovering the unknown. I also believe that the addition of magical substances and materials to the scientific process of optics can further enhance our capabilities, perhaps leading to discoveries of concepts we've never even considered. Anyone wishing to utilize the telescope for their own studies should contact the Northern Geographic Society with inquiries.

Signed,

OviF40X.png

LFtpmKp.png

Edited by _Indy