The Oath Fulfilled [PK]

Burnsider

Holy Sir Armand wept openly at the confirmation of his holy brother's martyrdom. No relief but death would spare him the shame of not having fallen by Sir Nicolas' side; though he, too, had followed his oath by saving the life of Cardinal Manfried, before God he felt like a coward and a traitor for letting the Holy Mother Church fall victim to apostate swords.

"He was the best of us. Dieu, forgive me; forgive them, for they know not what they had done." 

While compiling the personal effects of the late Pontifical Secretary, the scribes of his dicastery came upon the Last Will and Testament of Holy Sir Nicolas. 

My friends and companions, my family. Grieve not for me. I have lived a life worth living, one devoted to God. Although I know my days are short and I will be killed soon, either while protecting Ophelia and her daughter or at the command of the damned Cyril and Dima, I want you all to know that each one of you who touched my heart in this short life are truly my family.

I have few real possessions beyond what the church has given me, but what little I have, I give back to you so that your memories of me will be of the happy times we shared.

To my squire, Linh @Sheepie01, I leave you my training sword. Continue in your studies. You will make a fine knight. I am proud of you.

To Analiesa de Astrea @madysenb, I would like you to have what constituted for my "doll," the wooden icon of Saint Otto. Be happy and do not cry, for the Lord GOD is your shepherd and guardian.

To my father, @repl1ca, I leave you my Lorraine cross. Your piety and devotion to GOD was the foundation that helped me take each step in my life. I am sorry I was never able to find Julianne. I hope that you will one day forgive me.

To my almost father, Johan @Harald, I leave you my Albarosan Medal of Merit. Take it as a reminder that GOD ordains all things and it is up to us, the Penitent, to accept those things with grace.

To Ophelia @TheIchorDruid, the mother of my almost God-Daughter, I return to you the black-ferrum mace you bestowed to me. Find Clementine another protector. The world lies at her feet. I am sorry I missed her coming into this world.

And finally, to Eliza @AndrewTech, how I hope I am finally able to share my feelings with you before I leave this mortal coil, but our work and the circumstances therein have left me unable to tell you that I wished to court you. I leave you the aurum mace I used to help defeat the poltergeist in the cathedral, in lieu of another golden item I could never give you. May it protect you as you explore the dark areas of the world in search of wonder. 

Holy Sir Theophilos sat in his home, a bottle of Hyspian margarita in one hand and a cigar on the other. "So, this is the end, it seems." he simply muttered, drowning his sorrows away. Although still being alive, he and Holy Sir Armand alongside Beatrice have made sure to evacuate Cardinal Manfried from potential death, yet having a feeling of guilt as the clergymen fell by the swords of the culprits. He shed not a single tear, but tens of them as his former squire succumbed. "Descansa en paz, hermano." he uttered, taking a puff of his cigar.

Edited by dmitris

"A true shame cousin, may you rest easy in the skies above, with uncle Anton and our kin, for you fulfilled your oath and lived the life of a good man." The Retired Marshal said as he removed his beret and lowered his head, the gaze of his weary eyes fixed upon the grave of the holy knight.

"And Nicholas." Manfried's mind traveled to each face of the dead that night, "Too young... too young." He remembered the man for who he was. A virtuous man, a bright man, a dedicated man. The man who at times would even lecture Priests themselves on the Canon Law. The man who so dutifully guarded the Basilica in days of danger. Who served Owyn III as Secretariat and Equester-Imperator. A man who was so very dedicated to his convictions like all the others who died that night. The man who was virtuous. Who was bright. Who was dedicated. "God bless you."

Aelrindel Forest-Walker would instantly bury his face in his hands upon hearing of Ser Nicolas' death.  He hadn't known the Knight long, but the two became instant friends and he always brightened Ael's day.

He'd look up to the sky for a moment, his eyes beginning to well up.

"I'll see you in the next life, friend. May your God have his hands on you..."