High Justiciars of Haense

Zanthuz

((Credit to @yopplwasupxxx for the format))

“Zakisk ve Jura i ve Kongzem”
Motto of the Office of the High Justiciar
‘To Defend the Law of the Kingdom’

aRf1pLNl9ascxd0Toeb31q5bhdMsVwIhN2U-I1bYUROBlGX-pBdmHgAdM8NCjlrmzyy-3uRRRgzl6fbT1Fmgt3a1htut-fMVDiLRS9FnAajIOCzMAyDfcEmAlI4BmSvD4zw5V8lU

THE HIGH JUSTICIARS OF HAENSE,
LORD CONSTABLES OF THE CROWN

Est. 223 E.S. | 1670 A.H.

Or, A STUDY INTO THE HIGH JUSTICIARS OF HAENSE
BY
SIR VIKTOR KORTREVICH

Baruch & Kortrevich Publishing

---

The HIGH JUSTICIAR (New Marian: VASRICIAR), or officially known as the HIGH JUSTICIAR AND LORD CONSTABLE OF THE CROWN, is the ranking member who holds the authority over upholding the Kingdom’s law, second only to the Sovereign of Haense, and leads the realm as one of the Heads of Law and first aide to the Crown in all legal manners. Historically, the High Justiciar is entrusted in the governance of the Kingdom’s legal proceedings and upholding the Kingdom’s law codex. The most likely candidate for designation has typically been from Haense’s most qualified attorney based on reputation. In most cases, those born of nobility have held the seat although there have been cases where members of the gentry have also held the seat.

Historically, since the establishment of the position, most justiciars are attributed with extensive legal backgrounds prior to their ascension to Justiciarship. The reconstruction and growth of the Kingdom’s law structure took place extensively from 268 E.S. to 298 E.S. under Ser Gerard Stafyr’s tenure. There has been a trend since the first High Justiciar where the vast majority of High Justiciars have belonged to certain nobilital families, from Vanir, Stafyr, Ruthern, Vyronov to Baruch. As of 387 E.S., four office holders have died in office (I, III, IV and VIII), one officeholder has been removed after disappearance (II), three under political obligations to the Crown (V, VI and VII) and two after resignation (IX and X).

The office holder is distinguished by the gavel of Justiciar Swithun Aldor, carried only by the High Justiciar, and traditionally holds symbolic command over legal proceedings both civil and criminal. The reign of King Sigmar I saw the creation of the office of the High Justiciar which has since been occupied by eight different officeholders stretching across the reigns of eight Haeseni monarchs. Prior to such creation, the Sovereign of Haense upheld the Kingdom’s law codex; although at times such command was entrusted to a senior Attorney. Notable office holders include Swithun Aldor (II), Ser Gerard Stafyr (III), Konstantin Ruthern (IV) and Sir Lauritz Christiansen (VII).

7-LP4jewAshsZ7HGRW-03r4eoCit635LhI0wcGpR3kK7g7gQitRZIfwKGCZ9lAE2yaQ4bV2NXQGzGLWCcVFWh-3IGOCMrfPhjytjO42i_ZXaXjaCXXv2dZp4P3MXa0Lwe7RoCjAr

Seal of the High Justiciar

---

Synopsis of Haense’s Law Codices
                The Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska has penned two law codices into law since the unification of the crowns of Hanseti and Ruska. Historically, the first law codex established by the dual monarchy can be traced back to the year 277 E.S. under the reign of King Andrew III and revised through King Sigismund II’s reign(338 E.S.), this codex was titled; ‘The Laws, Rights, and Decrees of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska’. Since the creation of the position of High Justiciar by King Sigmar I in the year 223 E.S., the Highlandic state has seen the penning of two law codices used by five separate administrations; King Andrew III, King Andrew IV, King Sigmund II, King Josef I and King Heinrik II.

•                 The Laws, Rights, and Decrees of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, est. 277 E.S. | r. 388 E.S. (New Marian: Lawonzkya Ag Dekretz Vor Kongzem Edaeleo Ag Kusoraev), or officially known as the first Law Codex of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, was penned by Justiciar Ser Gerard Stafyr and King Andrew III following the non-existence of any formal Law codex existing in Haense. The first Law Codex of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska served as the official law codex of the Kingdom, composed of eight books on laws and four books on rights. The second Haeseni Law Codex has been loosely inspired by the first Haeseni Law Codex.

•                 Haurul Caezk, est. 339 E.S. | r. Present (Common: Book of Honour), or officially known as the second Law Codex of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, was penned by Justiciar Sir Konstantin Wick under the reign of King Josef I. The second Law Codex of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska has since served as the official law codex of the Kingdom post-independence, composed of seven books on laws and rights.

---

54bf705f3e69bed4e9675d7411b4af82.pngE_mYrK9WXB5sHQnQfoG-hoaSqLZgYq2c9Fs4QZOIToOGiICrm7gdXbCkJKDll8XD63J6Yc88UBNAZKyNrfh09jVdTLIOH3aSxLWSsnqmUGtS6S_S3JTX2Hiy7aXKsH981wOBOFq4

I VASCRICIAR
Lyov Brackish var Vanir
Liov Brackish née Vanir
223 E.S. - 236 E.S. | 1670 A.H. - 1683 A.H.
@Vanir

Monarch(s): Sigmar I, Robert I
Legal Interpretation: Originalist

Lyov Brackish var Vanir (Common: Liov Brackish née Vanir), was appointed as the first High Justiciar(f. Lord Constable) by King Sigmar I following the creation of the High Justiciar position in 1670. Brackish served as the first High Justiciar during the reign of King Sigmar I. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Brackish worked as an Aulic counsellor to King Sigmar I’s Aulic Council.

Before the Third Atlas Coalition War, Brackish made several significant legal procedures that continue to be used today. Brackish was instrumental in shaping the Haeseni law system during the Pertinaxian Period. Representing the Crown through multiple trials. Under the reign of King Sigmar I and King Robert I, Lord Lyov Brackish served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska diligently, spanning a career of thirteen years.

---

ecf21372ec89af7cdaf3c97868678ad4.png

II VASCRICIAR
Swythun Aldor

Swithun Aldor
236 E.S. - 272 E.S. | 1683 A.H. - 1719 A.H.
@NovumChase
Monarch(s): Robert I, Marus II
Legal Interpretation: Functionalist

Sythun Aldor (Common: Swithun Aldor), was appointed as the second High Justiciar(f. Lord Constable) by King Robert I following Justiciar Brackish’s death. Aldor served as High Justiciar following King Robert I’s elevation to the throne. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Aldor worked as a scribe who warded under Justiciar Lyov Brackish and King Robert I.

After the elevation of King Robert I to the throne, Aldor continued the legal practices set-by predecessor Brackish oftentimes adopting a more pragmatic view on legal text. Under the reign of King Robert I and King Marus II, Lord Swythun Aldor served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska dutifully, spanning a career of thirty-six years; the longest tenure to date.

Throughout Aldor’s tenure as High Justiciar, he reduced crime rates by a third from the previous administration and installed the first institution the likes of; a rehabilitation center that reduced the recidivism rate by nearly fifty-percent.

---

POSITION VACANT, 272 - 276 E.S. | 1719 - 1723 A.H.

Marked by the government being involved in the War of the Two Emperors and the aftermath thereafter, no High Justiciar was officially appointed until the stability of the Kingdom was restored by efforts made by Lord Marshals Otto Kortrevich and Otto Alimar; which restored the Kingdom’s overall confidence under the reign of King Andrew III.

---

04c40dbca3fcb43d50565af77a6248e3.png HQZDLUoPoaZo7sWsIz4R3h_Q-9sBYu7KVaLAChvQWPsbWO5rZ9gYi4j-3gzMfdDMFTQCsaWk-iTdAxT_jPqLWTaLfWxW9HuM_u8RX1HYSmQlo_9gjvwDhwecFfJu_fqKA4btHOgD

III VASCRICIAR
Ser Gyrard Stafyr

Sir Gerard Stafyr
276 E.S. - 299 E.S. | 1723 A.H. - 1746 A.H.
@dandan1350
Monarch(s): Andrew III

Ser Gyrard Stafyr (Common: Sir Gerard Stafyr), was appointed as the third High Justiciar by King Andrew III following Justiciar Aldor’s removal. Stafyr served as High Justiciar following the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska’s return of stability following the War of the Two Emperors. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Stafyr was knighted into the Marian Retinue by Knight Paramount Ser Nikolaus Kortrevich following his distinguished service during the War of the Two Emperors. 

Following the Kingdom’s return to stability the vacant position of High Justiciar was filled by Ser Gerard Stafyr by King Andrew III, Stafyr immediately penned into law a formal law codex for the Kingdom to follow; underneath King Andrew III’s directive, it was officially signed which saw usage for sixty-six years. 

Justicar Stafyr represented the Crown through multiple trials; most notably the Krawn v. Kortrevich trial. Under the reign of King Andrew III, Ser Gerard Stafyr served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska diligently, spanning a career of twenty-three years.

---

0886a392955e39b446d772abfbb6ddb2.png To2NaHqOoE9YPc4f8fLUrfkWrvt4BnXVblaopR8Q6aMQz3EmMQYEedXNZNCbIfQngJIY_1kJVFYl23hQOOobHkQHSnhA1DayLcalfHwH4AusIQ4Midfdf3gLn5bSr_ixX6K31sqi

IV VASCRICIAR
Konstantin Ruthern, 13th Komit van Metterden

Constantine Ruthern, 13th Count of Metterden
299 E.S. - 326 E.S. | 1746 A.H. - 1773 A.H.
@FireCrimson
Monarch(s): Andrew IV, Sigmund II

Konstantin Ruthern (Common: Constantine Ruthern), was appointed as the fourth High Justiciar by King Andrew IV following Justiciar Stafyr’s death. Ruthern served as High Justiciar during the entirety of the Rubern War. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Ruthern was elevated as the thirteenth Count of Metterden following his nephew’s disappearance.

Promptly after the deaths of Justiciar Stafyr and King Andrew III, Ruthern continued to maintain the first Haeseni law codex in as many efforts that were allowed by Haense’s decreasing levels of autonomy underneath the Holy Orenian Empire. Under the reign of King Andrew IV and King Sigmund II, Lord Konstantin Ruthern served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska dutifully, spanning a career of twenty-seven years.

Throughout Ruthern’s tenure as High Justiciar, he upheld the Kingdom’s law despite Imperial subjugation. Following his death, many of his originalist views have been studied in royal academies the likes of; the Royal Academy of Saint Catherine and the Royal Academy of Saint Charles.

---

8974c2050ab2ea9e242f47e2a771cb42.png aEU59YiZ_cbiJNG3WUBsRX1ljf6dnG6pSnEln3mdecdXGKeKgtl-hs271oz2_1vbbWDEfOBhCRoGl2wi9MYIER61I6Aqz5yJxoI_KYHEdMZHKd201FXFUO2P214T9nneoHaq847N

V VASCRICIAR
Sir Konstantin Wick

Sir Constantine Wick
326 E.S. - 329 E.S. | 1773 A.H. - 1776 A.H.
@Xarkly
Monarch(s): Sigmund II, Josef I

Sir Konstantin Wick (Common: Sir Constantine Wick), was appointed as the fifth High Justiciar by King Sigmund II following Justiciar Ruthern’s death. Wick served as High Justiciar during the waning years of King Sigmund II. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Wick worked as a private attorney to his partnered business; ‘Christiansen-Wick Solicitors’. Most notably of which, he represented as a defense attorney of Mary Jane d’Arkent during the d’Arkent v. Ruthern trial.

Succeeding the death of former Justiciar Ruthern, Wick maintained relations with the Imperial government despite the Kingdom of Haense’s desired autonomy over their government and by extension their legal system. Representing both the Imperial Crown and Royal Crown in many legal manners. Under the reign of King Sigmund II and King Josef I, Sir Konstantin Wick served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska earnestly, spanning a career of six years.

---

64b1715922a6506507eff3ae5009af0e.png JKerJjg5Sw16kUbvfGEvWBw55oaCUPCbKnhT0gX83FyuGlYs5w64gaQArhjC_ROkmozTjYyJb1FNhjcAvK0FDyKHUf9I4Ztd-Adh6nyWEjyj72-pRFM5L5Jpu6ev7LfQUo9tezQY

VI VASCRICIAR
Sir Wilhelm Vyronov

Sir William Vyronov
329 E.S. - 339 E.S. | 1776 A.H. - 1786 A.H.
@Flapman
Monarch(s): Josef I

Sir Wilhelm Vyronov (Common: Sir William Vyronov), was appointed as the sixth High Justiciar by King Josef I following Justiciar Wick’s resignation. Vyronov served as High Justiciar following the death of King Sigismund II and the subsequent elevation of King Josef I to the throne. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Vyronov served as an Imperial Eastern Circuit Court Judge from 315 E.S. to 329 E.S., presiding over multiple cases under the jurisdiction of the Province of Haense.

After the sudden death of King Sigismund II, Vyronov was instrumental in overseeing the autonomy of the Haeseni law system. Oftentimes, battling with the Imperial government over the Kingdom’s loss of autonomy since the end of the War of the Two Emperors. Representing both the Imperial Crown and Royal Crown in many legal manners. Under the reign of King Josef I, Sir Wilhelm Vyronov served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska earnestly, spanning a career of one decade.

Throughout Vyronov’s tenure as High Justiciar, he upheld the Kingdom’s law despite Imperial subjugation. He along with Konstantin Wick and Lauritz Christiansen later aided in the penning of the Haeseni law codex dubbed; Haurul Caezk (Common: Book of Honor).

---

b039c67e6db35ed2e43be1011d40ec51.png

VII VASCRICIAR
Sir Lauritz Christiansen

Sir Lawrence Christiansen
339 E.S. - 359 E.S. | 1786 A.H. - 1806 A.H.
@Gusano
Monarch(s): Josef I

Sir Lauritz Christiansen (Common: Sir Lawrence Christiansen), was appointed as the seventh High Justiciar by King Josef I following Justiciar Vyronov’s resignation. Cristiansen served as High Justiciar following Haense’s acquisition of Independence. He along with Wilhelm Vyronov and Konstantin Wick aided in the penning of the Haeseni law codex dubbed; Haurul Caezk (Common: Book of Honor). Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Cristiansen worked as a private attorney to his partnered business; ‘Christiansen-Wick Solicitors’. Most notably of which, he presided as a Judge over the Krawn v. Corbish trial.

After the signing of the Aulic Edict of 341 E.S, Christiansen was instrumental in reshaping the Haeseni law system post-independence. Representing the Crown through multiple trials; Krawn v. Zharm, Krawn v. Boniface, Krawn v. Stafyr, Krawn v. Wick, Krawn v. Helvets and most notably Krawn v. Kovachev. Under the reign of King Josef I, Sir Lauritz Christiansen served as Justiciar of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska diligently, spanning a career of two decades.

Throughout Christiansen’s tenure as High Justiciar, he reduced crime rates by half from the previous administration and installed multiple institutions the likes of; rehabilitation centers that have reduced the recidivism rate by nearly forty-percent.

---

0d64f1cfdff609fb1032e38b2d8698ed.png To2NaHqOoE9YPc4f8fLUrfkWrvt4BnXVblaopR8Q6aMQz3EmMQYEedXNZNCbIfQngJIY_1kJVFYl23hQOOobHkQHSnhA1DayLcalfHwH4AusIQ4Midfdf3gLn5bSr_ixX6K31sqi

VIII VASCRICIAR
Matyas Baruch, 4th Herzen van Valwyck

Matthias Baruch, 4th Duke of Valwyck
359 E.S. - 367 E.S. | 1806 A.H. - 1814 A.H.
@hippo
Monarch(s): Josef I, Heinrik II

Matyas Baruch (Common: Matthias Baruch), was appointed as the eighth High Justiciar by King Josef I following Justiciar Cristiansen’s resignation. Baruch served as High Justiciar for a total of eight years stretching across the Kingdom’s troubling drug epidemic. Prior to his elevation to High Justiciar, Matyas Baruch had served as the Duke of Valwyck since his sixteenth name day and worked both as a private defense attorney in Haense from 353 E.S. to 359 E.S and a Dragus of Law at the Royal Academy of Saint Charles from 357 E.S. to 365 E.S.

From the time the Duke took occupancy of the Aulic position to the time he met his untimely death, he presided over a great number of legal proceedings most notably of which; the Krawn v. Black Crow and the Krawn v. Ruthern. The eighth High Justiciar was often regarded as someone who prosecuted to the fullest extent with distinct contrast to one of his predecessors, Justiciar Swithun Aldor who took a more forgiving approach to the severity of sentences.

A few years following the death of King Josef I, Matyas was instrumental in fighting the Haeseni war on drugs. Formally declaring a decree in the year 365 E.S. labeled the ‘Justiciar’s Report, 365 E.S.’, which began the battle against the rampant crisis that began to overrun the Royal City of Karosgrad. Throughout Baruch’s tenure as High Justiciar, he continued to follow in the steps of his predecessors by upholding the Kingdom’s law in a stringent manner.

Following his shocking murder, record reveals throughout his tenure he helped reduce crime rates by nearly a third from the previous administration and installed multiple institutions the likes of; rehabilitation centers that have reduced the recidivism rate by nearly thirty-five percent.

---

POSITION VACANT, 367 - 372 E.S. | 1814 - 1819 A.H.

Marked by the government undergoing reforms which left the position of High Justiciar temporarily managed by Lord Palatine, Maric var Ruthern until such a time that Lady Tatiana Ruthern came of age and was assigned to the position.

---

0086b7ef082bbf37e686a4ef633af9e7.png AOft-oZ69CWLEvKRrADnLVUFK_eryjORKzPivxu966NHM02Yl8yN2nuaVjn0OF30iFanal_KT5NAagUbjyksyBFjgq-IwnZX6Q5zzKrB8_YB_XQn5Iv41N5AHEfAYdKUVmqcUZ5g

IX VASCRICIAR
Tatyana Kortrevich (vas Ruthern)

Tatiana Kortrevich (née Ruthern)
372 E.S. - 387 E.S. | 1819 A.H. - 1834 A.H.
@Juli
Monarch(s): Heinrik II

Biography in Progress.

---

41f88cef23640b8ee149700e9947b5fc.png ItSAoDQHd-cDIoKyUqPTEVKANp2peog1KaAT-OyJzRPbLBBMiKfuHF3eBgVbxoCwVlvJw-Wk2-5s9a7YEm5IHEZFljk-dH380djjZDBpimJ8DSBlRYpfj0oOtnC20l-SO5Ex4buv

X VASCRICIAR
Kazimar Colborn

Casimir Colborn
387 E.S. - 407 E.S. | 1834 A.H. - 1854 A.H.
@Totalitarianism_
Monarch(s): Heinrik II, Sigmund III

Biography in Progress.

---

IqEUnvvWmnCxVh9OEEfw9yMRGgl9Vgv53UPLXTg6Da4Ti_VSFJt650GX2M0M3yEmHxQlmyme9w_NRdsVLVGp-AhBB8wLS2xR6O8te1slBveRgQZ4-Nt262tTYSSyMui7Ut6rKT-N

XI VASCRICIAR
Johann Ludovar, 3rd Bossir van Otistadt

Johann Ludovar, 3rd Baron of Otistadt
407 E.S. - Present | 1854 A.H. - Present
@Raijen Stars
Monarch(s): Sigmund III

Current Incumbent.

Edited by Zanthuz