Konstantin Wick: Gone Fishing

Xarkly

Alexandria Karina Wick had been in Karosgrad again for the past two months, having decided to return to the City of Crows for the winter season rather than wait out the snows in the Scyfling camps or Rubern.  She was certainly content with her decision, for her husband was always the cause for her smiles - and the harsh weather and travelling was beginning to have more of a toll on her due to her age.  Now she understood part of why Segn, The Vile Tooter, was always so grumpy and curt.

She was seated at the desk within their bedchambers, reading through the old notes of her sister Amelya while she was wrapped snug in a blanket of fur pelts.  The crackling of the fireplace compared to the distant whaling of the Haeseni winds outside began to lull her, the aging Princess' eyes soon felt heavy and she found herself dozing off.

Her dream was of two Scyflings, happy companions with a strong determination to find a hidden swampland in order to get their hands on a fabled moss.  The two were so driven, that they would battle the Sea's waves with naught but a raft and a patchy tarp for a sail.  Their journey was long and perilous, having lasted days out on the waters.  At last, a hopeful sight met their gazes as they noticed the fir forest on the coast becoming consumed with a bog filled with dead and ancient trees.

They cheered and began to celebrate, excited for this damned search to come to and end; however, it was not over for them yet.  Something stirred beneath the waves that rocked the raft, a sprawling shadow passed under them and began to break through the ocean's surface beside their boat; a vicious sea serpent had found its new prey.

As the creature released a mighty roar, Alexandria was stirred from her slumber by her husband entering the room in a rush.  With him... was the Palatine's golden bulava? 

Ser Brandt Barclay, Mister Konstantin's number one fan, will feel Konstantin's absence as he went out fishing.

Marcella Barclay had been alongside Konstantin for some time now, and had gotten used to his eccentric behaviour, even bagan to enjoy them perhaps. She wondered for some time when he'd finally be done his work, and she realized as she heard the news, that she'd actually miss him and his antics.

Lauritz sat in his Valwyck retirement cabin, peering out over nearby waters. He blinked as he spotted a fishing boat with two familiar yet distant faces on it. "About time," he mumbled to himself, "Thought Konstantin was going to die in office." He rose, pressing his hand to the window, "It looks like they're having fun, at least." He marched over to his desk, shuffling through some old papers marked with CHRISTIANSEN-WICK SOLICITORS on them, before he sat down again, resuming his writing.

Within the office of the Speaker, Irene instructed a scribe over the words she wished for him to pen for a missive. Still her eyes had yet to recover from the gruesome events and were veiled with a white fabric. A knock came at the door, resulting in her silence and the scribe stopping amidst what he wrote. The news came swift, but a hint of a smile started to form on the solemn woman's features. Never before had she known a man to work with such resilience, strength, and goodness throughout their tenure. Yet there would be a certain hole left missing in his place, something that no statesman could fill, and continued to scribe her missive. 

Perhaps now she would have the time to take him on that trip she promised years ago. 

Edited by Eryane

The Queen Mother raised a brow, seeing the now former Palatine gallop down the halls of the Palace carrying the Golden Bulava in his hand.

Otto Baruch returned from a fishing trip himself, alongside his dear brother Ruslan before they caught news of the esteemed Palatine "Hear this Ruslan, once upon a duma he sent me on a very top secret mission, with promise of reward of course. Ah' spent hours finishin' it an' at the end when it was complete and ah' delivered the news to him; nie reward was received. He could've at least taken me fishin' with him da? Tha' would've been nice." He concluded his story, shooting a quick glance to his brother "Ah' always have enjoyed his personality, you should thrive to be more like him." The two then returned home, retiring their fishing gear for the day before getting into another argument about who caught the bigger fish.

"Have a good retirement friend, you've deserved it." Commented the similarly retired Manfred Barclay, who then returned to farming cabbages outside the castle of Reinmar.

"Have a good retirement." Stefan would say with a nod upon the news.

Nataliya smiled softly. "Well done Uncle, for many years you have kept the Kingdom together. . ." she muttered to herself, though the princess would not share the gratifying words towards her Uncle Kon, for she was too prideful. The woman then sighed happily at an empty table. She then grasped a mug of Carrion before bringing it to her lips. However, the former Princess Royal would soon be interrupted.  A cod was tossed at her, hitting the woman in the face, spilling the carrion about the table as the fish flopped around on the wood. Nataliya would have a look of pure irritation upon her visage, tearing her gaze from the table towards her Uncle Konstantin. "PAY BACK!" the man cackled as he ran off with her Aunt. 

Spoiler

heckauglymegauglywrongugly.jpg.9633979a5a5dd050beb1879179a500d6.jpg

Nataliyadohoonkabhankoloos.thumb.png.28da2d4ac0f971324182fee953a0bca7.png

f01c0eb5cd46ff79240ac722b9e2c8ca.png

Spoiler

Sir Konrad Stafyr would smile warmly upon Konstantin from the Seven Skies, sipping from an ethereal mug of Carrion Black. He glances over to his fellow statesman, Sir Terrence, as they sit by the side of an etherial beach.

"And so, young Konstantin has finally come full circle!" He would remark to his fellow deceased with a chuckle, shaking his head in the slowest of manners.

"I remember when he was but a lad of eighteen, struggling to establish a legal practice of his own in Reza... And I remember the light in his eyes, when I offered to take him on as my assistant. When he became a Member of the Commons, and then Justicar. And finally, on the day he became Palatine. Oh, what a journey it's been for his since!"

Gazing back out at the ethereal waters, he would let out a deep sigh. "His legacy will, undoubtedly, be colossal. Akin to, or perhaps even greater than our own I daresay. But alas, there is something more important than fame..."

Hesitating a moment, he adds, "...And that, my friend, is family! He has chosen to spend his later years with his wife and children, to plot a new course and explore a new frontier of a different nature. It took me the longest time to realize that. Sadly, some Palatines never do. Like that poor Baruch fellow, or my cousin Leopold."

Gazing out into the distance as he looks away, the Stafyr simply murmurs, "I hope that you know that I'm proud of you, lad. For however long that fishing trip of yours lasts, you deserve every last bit of it."

As Igor woke up from his nap of after doing a 'hard' day of work, he would learn of the retirement of the Lord Palatine soon after. The Tribune, who was still in his prime, had much respect for the man who had served his Kingdom longer than he himself had been living. However, he also realized as time went on the old guard was being changed, and a new guard would soon take over. Igor sent his best wishes to the former Palatine and his wife on their fishing trip. . .

Meanwhile, a phantom in the dead of the night overhears the gossip of drunken citizens. "Did you hear the news?" asked one of the drunken men "They say the Lord Palatine has retired! Gone fishing he has." As the Old Knight hears this, a rare smile appears on his face. The revenant in his transitional phase managed to chuckle a bit as he disappeared back into the shadows "Well I'll be damned..." , said Ser Ivan. "I hope its a big catch... Good luck you two, don't get a cold again."

Friedrich Barclay lit up a cigarette as he heard the news "Wish ich could have smoked with him when ich had the chance." he'd say to nobody in particular.