A letter to King Henrik II re: The Clergyman tax

ReveredOwl

Dear noble King Henrik of the Haeseni people,

By now I am sure your advisors or the clergymen of your court have informed you of a recent law that has come into place in the lands of Norland, a law headed by the leader of their All-Fatherism religion. It saddens me that your military ally has had to resort to trying to tax unarmed and defenceless clergymen simply for existing, in order to keep their coffers full. Clergymen are forced to pay a two hundred and eighty mina tax, weekly, in order to not get hounded, beaten or murdered by their soldiers. Numerous clergymen have already been forced to flee for their lives whilst trying to enter the lands of Norland. Most clergymen do not have very much mina, as I am sure you are aware, though mina they do get via donations should not go towards paying a tax for the crime of breathing in a foreign land and I am sure your parishioners do not wish to see funds spent in such a way. I choose to believe that we are not brutes and brigands, it is why Norlanders can travel unimpeded throughout the lands of Haense and Oren but we can not travel in Norland. Sadly it seems that Norland thirsts for Orenian blood and are more than happy to use our most holy institution as a pedestal to propel them closer to quenching this thirst, but this should not be the case. Regardless of my opinion of your alliance with the Kingdom of Norland, it is highly improper and rather suspicious that they are willing to treat clergymen in this way, many of whom are your own citizens.

QWbd5gHuVMl9b0n9uf91c5RwZ-9RcwDdU30RAb37m8DRLj8BIdaiWS4SO3siYWkfibOCpG2cHGHd_MJwX-9rg4QZ33q2d-lb-WsbF1jO-9PLTG1FQ9oDzsarN9I_r67Yqg
An artist’s depiction of a clergyman refusing to pay a faith tax to a norlandic tax collector. 

Furthermore, I believe it should be made aware to you that in their lust for blood, they have violated terms of the Iron Accord. Such, I hope, would prove to you that the leadership of Norland does not see you as equals or partners, but another tool in their war-machine. For I am sure that you do not wish to plunge your people into a pointless war, as Norland would have you do. This new law means that any clergymen from Haense who wishes to trade or sell items are taxed, this in itself violates a term of the Iron Accord treaty. Also that their military is used as an aggressive source to intimidate and force clergymen to pay this tax and if they refuse they are beaten, robbed or murdered. I write this letter to you in hopes that you can see the fault of your ally in this matter and hopefully reconsider ties with such an aggressive faction and if not that, request an end to the faith tax in the lands of Norland. God be with you, and I look forward to your coronation in the coming days.

Father Basil

Edited by Basil Moroul