REPENT, Ye of Great Wealth and Little Faith

lokiergi

jesus-washing-apostles-feet-39588-print.
Depicted: Oswyn son of Godwin washing the feet of a poor man.

REPENT, Ye of Great Wealth and Little Faith

A short thesis by Acolyte Jacques

I write with heavy heart, for I have seen the depths of man's infidelity to the Lord our GOD.

Oren, once the greatest haven of the Lord's might, has become overcome with vice and corruption of a kind most egregious. The rule of the land has fallen to moneylenders, wealthy nobility, and royals without a care in the world for the people they lord over.

It seems the Lords and Royals of Oren have forgotten these words, given unto the Prophet Horen in the first days of the Church:

"So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of my Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not desire the wealth of this world, nor the wealth of others, but the wealth of the spirit." (Virtue 2:10)

Material wealth is not a tool of GOD, but of Iblees. Greed corrupts even the best of men, seeping into their hearts until they can see nothing else. We see this in the dwarves, cursed by Iblees to delve deeper and deeper in search of something to fill the hole within them. They do not realize that only GOD can fill this hole, and that the wealth of the spirit will redeem them where aurum and mina cannot. The nobility of Oren it seems is afflicted by the same curse of greed, a greed which threatens to break the very bond which is most dear to humanity: the bond with the Lord Above. 

So consumed with wealth have the lords of the land become, that they forget their most basic commitments: To GOD and to the PEOPLE. They take as they will, harvesting the fruits of our labor only to leave it to rot in vast hoards until the end of days. They beat and intimidate the common folk when it pleases them, collecting exorbitant taxes to fund projects of vast wealth while neglecting the very Faith that they say gives them right to rule.

The torment of the masses cries out in the burning of the House of Commons, cries out in the violence of misguided insurgents like the Mercatorii. I do not condone this act of aggression, yet one cannot help but admit that such a desperate act speaks volumes to the plight of the everyday people of Oren. Groups like this will continue to rise unless something is done about the widespread corruption within the ranks of our highest levels of government and society.

And so it is that I say REPENT, Ye of Great Wealth and Little Faith. For as opulent as your life may be in this world, it will not save you from the embrace of Iblees in the next. And if you do not repent, I fear that the will of the people may force your hand.