[✗] [Feat Lore] – Dreamforging

Astrophysical

Dreamforging

https://i.imgur.com/8ZdCLGV.png

((Guild Wars 2))

Background/Origin

It seemed like a fairy tale. The grass was emerald and neatly cut, the flowing trees sported indigo leaves which formed in balls on the branches, the air smelled like sweet vanilla and honeysuckles. Looking upwards upon the rolling hills, two satin chairs sporting scarlet velvet and a tree stump rested on the peak. Upon one of the luxurious chairs sat an azure robed man who was looking down upon me.

“Take a seat, don’t be shy,” a voice would whisper in my mind. I obliged and sat across from the robed man, his face shaded by his ornate hood. He then snapped his fingers once and upon the table, two white ceramic cups filled with tea appeared. The man motioned to the cups. I took one in hand, the heat of the tea could be felt upon my skin as I took a sip. The drink was sweet, tasting like cinnamon tea. I asked the man what this place was.

With a small chuckle he responded “My mind. You are currently asleep and within my dreamscape.” The man hums as he takes the other tea cup and sips it as well. “Long ago a mage figured out how to connect one’s mind to another. From that, mages branched out, lucid dreams were used to create landscapes like this,” the man nodded slowly as he scanned the expanse. “A world where imagination is the only limit.”

Magic Explanation

Dreamforging is a mental magic in which a user can create dreamscapes within their mind. The magic draws solely from the mage, no mana is present in the process. Similar to lucid dreaming, once a person knows how to dreamforge they can create dreamscapes in which they can bring others into their dream. Firstly, a dreamforger must create the dream by, of course, sleeping. Once in, the dreamforger will see only black, until they bring the dreamscape into existence by tapping into their inner mana. This is similar to the enactment of housemagery, as the Dreamforger brings forward their will into their dream. These dreamscapes can range from peaceful meadows to dark dungeons; All depends on the imagination of the dreamforger.

Once the dream is created, if another soul sleeps nearby the dreamforger, they will enter the dream. This is done by allowing the dreamsmith to connect to the visitor or visitors beforehand by having a solid image of the visitors in their mind, then pulling their consciousness into the dreamscape once they are asleep. The visitor leaves the dreamscape either by will, being exposed to pain in the dreamscape, or being removed by the dreamforger themself by waking up. In all situations, leaving the dreamscape will result in the leaver and/or the dreamforger to wake up.

New dreamforgers will begin with only a small area to work with little to no sensory input felt in the dreamscape, but with training, the area can expand in size, along with how much can be felt in the dreamscape by both the dreamforger and the visitors.

To achieve the power of Dreamforging, one must learn the art of how to properly lucid dream. This alone can take some time until the student can do it at will. This can be done alone, but a teacher can help in the process. Connecting to other minds to get visitors does require a teacher. Once the student knows how to connect, they may go on their own again.

Abilities/Spells

Dreamforging

Description: To create a dreamscape in which things can be sensed.

Mechanics:

-The ability begins by the dreamforger sleeping. This can be done in two emotes, one being getting comfortable for sleep, and the second being falling asleep.

-The dreamforger must keep in his mind that he will have a lucid dream during the sleeping process.

-The dreamscape’s appearance is entirely up to the dreamforger’s discretion. Be creative!
-If no visitors are in the dreamscape, no emotes are required to alter the dreamscape.

-If there are visitors in the dreamscape, the dreamforger must emote to the visitor what they observe along with any further changes to the dreamscape. 

-Anyone not in the dreamscape cannot see inside the dreamscape in role play despite seeing the emote. Essentially, don’t metagame.

-Taking visitors strains the mind, the more visitors within the dreamscape, the more stress. Too much strain can end the dreamscape abruptly.

-Dreamscapes can either be built on a separate build server or be created in roleplay. This is to the discretion of the dreamforger.

Red Lines

Spoiler

-This magic does not provide any rp or combat advantage other than being aesthetic.

-Anything physical that occurs in the dreamscape does NOT have repercussions outside of the dreamscape. The only thing which can leave is the memory of being within the dreamscape.

-Creatures and constructs which cannot sleep or dream cannot enter the dreamscape.

-When a dreamforger or visitor enters a dreamscape, they can be exposed to outside forces such as harm due to them sleeping.

-Visitors must sleep within two blocks of the dreamforger while asleep to enter the dreamscape.

-When a dreamforger awakens, all visitors awaken as well. If a visitor awakens, the dreamforger may stay asleep.

-If a visitor or dreamforger experiences significant pain (comparable to stepping on a nail), the afflicted will wake up.

-Visitors and dreamforgers can leave the dreamscape at will by simply waking up willingly or by being exposed to stimuli outside the dream such as loud noises or shaking.

-Depending on the tier, too many visitors in a dreamscape will end the dream.

Tier Progression

Tier One

The dreamforger, if they have learned how to lucid dream, is beginning to learn how to connect their mind with others, allowing a visitor into the dreamscape.

During this tier, one visitor can enter the dreamforger’s dreamscape. But the task is straining to the dreamforger’s mind and cannot take any more visitors

The area which can be produced in a dreamscape is 10x10 blocks or the size of an office.

All senses felt in the dreamscape are weak, but feel-able. A punch would feel like a hard poke.

Tier Two
The dreamforger is becoming more adept as the art. They are able to begin expanding their realm and experimenting with senses further.
During this tier, two visitors can enter the dreamforger’s dreamscape. But three will end the dream.
The area which can be produced in a dreamscape is 20x20 blocks or the size of a room.
All senses felt in the dreamscape are more feel-able. A punch would feel like a pinch.

Tier Three
The dreamforger is becoming great with the art. The dreamscape begins to feel lifelike.
During this tier, three visitors can enter the dreamforger’s dreamscape. But four will end the dream.
The area which can be produced in a dreamscape is 30x30 blocks or the size of a house.
All senses felt in the dreamscape are beginning to feel real. A punch would feel like a somewhat weak punch.

Tier Four
The dreamforger has become a master at the art, the dreamscape feels lifelike.
During this tier, four visitors can enter the dreamforger’s dreamscape. But five will end the dream.
The area which can be produced in a dreamscape is 50x50 blocks or the size of a large manor.
All senses felt in the dreamscape are lifelike. A punch would feel like a punch.

Purpose (OOC)
I created this magic to be a weaker alternative to Farseeing. While Farseeing has repercussions outside the spirit walk, via rituals, dreamforging does not. I like the idea of aesthetic magic which can be either built or role-played in any way they can imagine rather than being chained to one idea of a spirit. In other words, this feat is like an aesthetic Farseeing.

Citation

Spoiler

Aesopian for the initial idea.
BDanecker for peer review and advice.
TheBlackBobRoss for “GODLIKE” review.
Norgeth_ for review.

We shall be stronger sleeping than awake

This seems like a grossly overpowered feat - like Sensory Illusion taken to the absolute maximum, and yet no mana, and no slots?  You describe it as a Mental Magic, which would group it into the same place as Sensory Illusion, despite this seemingly being written to be 'weaker Farseer.' I actually see no disadvantages in this feat, which is extremely concerning, alongside the lack thereof of any slots whatsoever.

Please, please - if you want this to actually be viable as a feat and not simply be used to be abused, add actual flaws, downsides, etc. There is no sort of downside to the clear disruption that Dreamforging will have to the natural circadian rhythm and sleep pattern of the body, nor any downsides as a result of the extended amount of time you'll be spending asleep - nor anything about how you're actually going to get asleep, especially if you're in a situation or environment where sleep may not be viable, or even possible. Say you were experiencing sleepless nights - if you were to take a medicine or herb that would induce sleep [REM sleep], how would it affect the dream? Etc.

Doesn't look good for me chief. Lacks so much detail it's astonishing. This would be a good magic if it were for some kind of MMORPG, not a place like LoTC where people find a way to abuse everything about a magic - in this case, just the sheer lack of any sort of downsides of using the magic or having it in the first place, or, not even that, any changes it'll cause, good, bad, or neutral. No attempt at exploring it beyond some shoddy attempt at being the Everly Brothers, and their hit song "All I Have To Do Is Dream." Because, in this case, it isn't.

This is literally this

10 hours ago, Tox said:

This is literally this

I was thinking that while reading, and that lore does not even require any application!

I'm a fan so far of this. It's not really unique in what it does - as a few other lore pieces have sort of filled this niche, but I can see why you tried to fill a similar niche with this in only aesthetic changes. There is, however, a few things that I think should be adjusted to fit with LOTC in my opinion. 
@Mordhaundpretty much summed it up in his response. It's nigh impossible to completely stop powergaming or metagaming with a lore piece, but there are some better approaches to minimize the chance of it happening.

My opinions ((you dont have to take my word for it im just putting down my two cents):

Downsides and added details: Again, see Mord's response since I genuinely agree with the points he made- especially on how Dreamforging doesn't really go into the toll it takes or how any advanced usage would strain the human body or mind, nor does it touch on any real limits on the feat itself; rather it just says they cannot do [X] until [X].
Magic Slots: Since it's a magic powered from mana, I believe it would make more sense if it required one or two magic slots to have - since this is just an aesthetic thing though, I don't think it needs to require all five slots lol.
The extent of Dreams and Nightmares: Dreams can be a very powerful aspect of the mind and I'd really like to see more written up about this as I feel that as the piece is now, it can be abused to abuse the mental state of someone rather than just the physical state. Furthermore, a missed opportunity I feel (whether that be because you wanted to make this simple which I also respect) is to delve into the concept of nightmares and how it'd work in this feat.

All in all, I do hope something like this gets accepted, and I'm generally unaware if anything like this already exists like in Farseer as you've stated. I implore you not to think that my opinions should be taken as fact - simply as my own opinions i'd If you do agree with Mord and I on the changes that we suggested, I'd genuinely be happy to assist you in doing so. Hit me up in forum DMs if you'd allow me to help.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.