[✗] [Feat Lore][Dark Art] ⛧Voorak's Boon; The Corrupted & The Damned⛧

𝙻𝚞𝚟 XO

hwONv6dhPwjwSFYBbkJpPL7IfQItaOO4pxidX0IPhhg1FkpnQU_TmsVdVv7pd7rRGK-SMe9NP7LWBCE4mV2BkSRDRAeQ0qdLjmS2YY6eP2pLu24Cm6O3t7WvJGaMc4F75xEt74mO

⛧ Voorak's Boon; The Corrupted & The Damned⛧ 

F2MbiI68w1Hh99ZPWJciWAzLcCot7JmWjA9X5riqTBGYm1WHAWdWoC6sYxbBnHi4vu0uIMn2X_bUsvv_3DyuSGoCZlO7q09I1NAiNrjGHeU4ZmQtPCK4daUiNhnz4Bugss62013T

Effect(s) of the Shade Parasite:

In short, being host to the dark, corrupted curse of shadedom is incredibly mentally taxing. Mental illnesses are both prevalent and strong in them, and such only worsens as they go longer without relieving the building pressure within their being. It begins with simple things, temptations to commit debauchery and strike out against an otherwise strict morality. To bring suffering upon others, either out of some innate desire for them to understand what the Shade experiences or through the chaotic presence of their curse. This can be, to a degree, controlled through a strict moral code or strong religious beliefs. It grows in intensity, however, the longer the shade ignores the growing storm of torment within themselves. Whispers from the dark, speaking of foulness and death. Hallucinations of shadowed visions of long arms and twisted figures, as well as endlessly twisting hallways. Insomnia and twisted dreams, and a building desire to strike out. Such eventually climaxes with an almost endless anguish within the Shade.

This great mental tax and anguish will inevitably bring physiological effects. Migraine headaches, premature greying hair, joint pains and aches, boils and blisters, and almost endless other symptoms that will emerge and terrorize the Shade's body. For, not only is the soul and mind to be twisted, tortured, shamed, but the body must follow suit. It is this eternal fate of anguish and lessened existence that awaits all shades, only delayable by the worst sins of spreading this horrendous condition and inflicting others. Even those who pursue this desperate solution are but delaying the inevitable, outrunning fate and time only so far before the darkness begins to creep into their very soul once again, and their cycle of suffering begins anew.

YzGzFv-6OUHBjFdClnRN5406gGCJPGXaeRs8O0MptAZeH-1slEqR-1b1cGbHFEEGINUY4S6RmTw_Q96WV9hFbzsITbwDjtsskbBuA9z1V-A8k51hksF2UUiyZmSUomxcNlr4YpZz

Tsperkn zu’Serthekhur (Voice of Darkness)

A Gem forged from the chaotic forefather of Shades, Adorellan Sintel, found by an apprentice of his after his demise, and it was kept by the Weaver despite being just a prototype. This artifact was a blueprint for the eldritch masterpiece later crafter by Lorien and himself, but it still contains enough corruption to stain the minds of others in frightful terrors. Should one wield the stone long enough they will come to fear it, and their soul will be rooted upon by a Shade born from the Gem itself. 

With a voracious appetite, any mana that enters the area of influence of the Shade Gem is gradually converted into more Amber. Much like the Gem of ages past, Shade Gems forged by the aforementioned methods contain the power to instil lesser Shades onto the souls of descendants. 

Spoiler

Redlines:

• The purpose of this artifact is simply to get the Shadelings into the world. It has no form of necessity to the survival of this submission.

• Should the artifact be destroyed it would be unrepairable. The ST are to be informed of this artifact's destruction.

• This artifact can be used to communicate with all the Shades made directly from the gem. This can only be used to call forth the Shades for the sake of in character meetings, and cannot be used to metarally or metagame in any other fashion.

• The teacher of those made by the gem would be Tsperkn zu'Serthekhur. 

4iWa_Fwlmw1VisQSHxqdKWap9W7rm1xi5hXYYjkZ2RZOemUPsiErYKhXTGiELiwgYQjmbjBFGbmeqhKPqAuUDi4VE_yE1lHhFSrVfWHl6hfxLF4WDQoxGdhhQBrnwM4O0alzvZiM

hnZKcw5VfEztPVpyTt4Q_5MzUSwIHiNkc1gxguixP7-C1CXagixqg1BlMM6Efwz6GVJ-IXzjj3iQPyTz8rFhJmIt45akyTV74IYLy2OHoYGO02reifnsa2n5w7wx_qLwDBA1O0Sx

Abilities

MENTAL RESISTANCE -- Combative

In a metaphorical sense, there is a light amongst the encompassing darkness of Shade. Despite all of the intense, negative effects of possessing The Parasite of Rancour, its sickening form yields a few subtle benefits that protect against magical, mental invasions. Illusory magi, and other mental magic wielding individuals, will find that their spells and abilities to not affect Shades as they might other creatures, as the Shade’s awareness of reality is offset in a most unusual way, giving them an advantage over trickery of this caliber.

Spoiler

Redlines:

• The full force of the harassing voices will be sent upon them, seeking to cast the invader from the Shade’s mind with a whirlwind of distracting and evil utterances.

• This ability cannot be toggled off by any means.

WRATH OF NIGHT -- Combative

Upon imbuing the magic with Amber, the following changes occur to the Shade’s magic:

Spoiler

Transfiguration: 

Altering the properties of objects can give them shade-like traits, such as causing a rock to turn black. 

Translocation (Normal): 

N/A

Translocation (Shifting): 

Shifting causes a black aura to permeate where the Shade has left.

Sensory Illusion: 

Capable of pressing darker and more dreadful illusions, the Shade can draw upon their reams of realistic nightmares to create horrendous tricks of the senses.

Fire: 

These flames appear dark and cruel, burning low with rapid flickers.

Water:

Ice, water and vapour are all darker in colour, appearing ink-like. 

Air: 

N/A

Earth: 

The created earth is dark and dry.

Conjuration: 

They bleed a dark ichor. A terrible aura of black follows their movements, and they seem to hold a bizarre disobedience in them.

Necromancy: 

Lifeforce may be imbued with Amber to give its typical, dread-causing effects. Risen creations leave a flaking, dark trail in their wake.

Frost Witches: 

Manipulated ice may grow dark and ominous.

Mysticism: 

Ectoplasm imbued with Amber becomes darker than usual, and all things that deal with this darkened Amber release the same, dread-causing effect.

Naztherak: 

Malflame imbued with Amber would add an additional dread-inducing effect on top of any abilities already caused by Malflame, as well as bearing a black, flickering outline around the neon colored flame.

Spoiler

Redlines:

• Imbuing magic with Amber does not make it any more powerful.

• Only the magics listed above can mesh with the Shade Feat.

• All spells casted by Shades will have some sort of black, spooky, aesthetic change in them despite the circumstance. The Shade cannot prevent this nor control it.

BpUNPwqYk7-ZDv6NhdMEx5l1eWNwfF4PxMyY6hR3rp1tFUdvkfAg_8D31z9RArr0eKbkmiv_9V-z-VoS_Oe1y7sDeBUfOYpm8WUwUAaA9Dc5evTZ4ICkbxNSKoCrlil7OMHj7sth

hnZKcw5VfEztPVpyTt4Q_5MzUSwIHiNkc1gxguixP7-C1CXagixqg1BlMM6Efwz6GVJ-IXzjj3iQPyTz8rFhJmIt45akyTV74IYLy2OHoYGO02reifnsa2n5w7wx_qLwDBA1O0Sx

Compiled List of Red Lines:

Spoiler
  • If one could see or sense the soul of a Shade, they would see a sickly, corrupted, broken soul that’s barely holding itself together. Should they be able to sense it, they would sense a rotten and sickly energy radiating from it almost powerfully.
  • The inclination to bring pain, suffering, immorality, and debauchery onto others is almost a constant presence, a writhing force that inhabits their mind and coerces. One can fight against it, as one can with anything, but the temptation will grow and grow until it is all but unavoidable. It is considered powergaming to neglect this aspect of Shadedom.

• Mental illness, insomnia, and twisted whispers as well as dark hallucinations are extremely common and inevitable to the shade.

• They are sensitive to light in general, and it is unpleasant (can be painful) to look at.

• This spiritual and mental tax brings physiological effects such as extremely strong migraine headaches, premature grey and white hairs, joint pains, boils and blisters, as well as an almost endless variety of other things.

• Becoming a Shade requires OOC consent, but not IC consent. Should the target not consent OOCly, the curse will not take hold.

• Upon death, those infected with the parasite will be sent to Moz Strimoza.

• By playing a Shade, you agree to the risk of PK'ing. Similarly, you are agreeing to permanently shelf your persona and turn them into an event character, an Inferis in the court of a Naztherak, a spectre summoned by a Mystic.

• Using the Tsperkn zu’Serthekhur, one can communicate with anyone who is hosting a Shade. This cannot be used to metarally, and can only be used to summon everyone to meetings in character.

• In order to spread the parasite a Shade must bestow a parasite onto their willing, or otherwise, victim. This is possible after two months of being a shade. Much like Pale Blood Magic, there is no TA.

• Upon a Shade host’s death, the Shade might try and cling to this realm, and could even possess the body of anyone nearby. If they are not able to have a Shade normally the Shade would not be able to override this. For a Shade to be transferred to a new host it must be overseen by an ST, and this can only occur during the PK of their previous host.

• If the Tsperkn zu’Serthekhur were to be destroyed either by being physically smashed or doused in holy magic it would be impossible to repair. 

• Those with a Shade parasite would be able to understand Black Speech, but would not be able to speak it on their own unless they’ve been taught it.

• Imbuing magic with Amber does not make it any more powerful.

• Only the magics listed above can mesh with the Shade Feat.

• All spells casted by Shades will have some sort of black, spooky, aesthetic change in them despite the circumstance. The Shade cannot prevent this nor control it.

• The full force of the harassing voices will be sent upon them, seeking to cast the invader from the Shade’s mind with a whirlwind of distracting and evil utterances.

• This ability cannot be toggled off by any means.

• The host body of the Shade will undergo a few changes over time. Bags under the eyes will eventually form. Their eyes will also begin to take on a yellowish tint. Finally, their skin will become slightly paler. 

• This is a Dark Arts feat, meaning it will not take up a slot.

• Anyone who used to have an accepted Shade MA, TA, or CA can reapply for this feat and link their old application under their teacher if they'd like.

Written by, Luv I guess? Mostly taken from the minds of Tsuyose, Mephistophelian, Fitermon, and kickstarted from the idea proposed by Archipeligo.  I will also force some much needed assistance from esteemed ST member, @Malaise, to make sure that the Shades are being properly RP’d and understood by those who choose to take up this factor into their roleplay. This piece is meant to replace "Shades", but without the 101 unnecessary abilities and endgames that plagued the magic for the last few years. It's entirely a flavor magic, and opens up avenues for roleplay as opposed to closing them off, a problem the old lore was terminal with.

Previous Lore References: 

@Luvyo did you really just drop aesthetic shade feat magic? I'm digging it a little bit.

7 minutes ago, Tox said:

@Luvyo did you really just drop aesthetic shade feat magic? I'm digging it a little bit.

!!! this made my night

ty ty ty <3 

2 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

im a shade irl

you are, in-fact, a monster that keeps me up at night...

jkjk please don't end me.

Well I'll be damned in the fires of Moz Strimosa, ya did it. You made a shade magic I kinda vibe with ngl, very cool. No real benefits, lot of maluses, very pog. 

+1 for the lore and concept itself, though I think Shades won't be coming back any time soon. 

1 hour ago, JoanOfArc said:

i miss bobbox

We all miss BobBox. 

god this is so cool

+1

This is by far my favorite shade rewrite!

+1 Hope I get to try this

This is particularly pointed at void mages:

With shades gone, for the first time in forever, you can RP having a black aura and being an 'evil mage' without having to have some particular dark magic MA. Adding this lore, particularly if you were to do it purely for the aesthetic, would simply lock spookier effects back behind an MA (since people would be forced to assume, or led to assume, you were a shade if your magic looked like that). If this didn't exist, it leaves the door open for mages to just, choose to develop their character into something spookier, maybe even have some massive event change their characters aura colour to black.

Natural RP character development vs. getting yet another MA for character development. You don't need to make your characters madness / fall to the dark side more interesting with an MA. In fact, it just detracts from it imo.

11 hours ago, Luv said:
Spoiler
  • Anyone who used to have an accepted Shade MA, TA, or CA can reapply for this feat and link their old application under their teacher if they'd like.

i would edit this to say that they can reapply if their MA, TA, or CA was still up prior to the shelving 

otherwise im a really big fan of this rewrite, good job luv - i just hope that people will be good sports about it and wont abuse the existence of aesthetics to metagame people for being shades

Whilst I once previously roleplayed a Shade myself, I was altogether against the circlejerk that happened for years upon years due to the existence of the Shade Gems. This seems mostly ok.

There isn't really much I can suggest here for improvement, aside from clarifying on the whole new "Tsperkn zu'Serthekhur", as well as the link of Shade to Moz Strimoza. This could just as easily be put under a new name and not be associated with the old Shade, as none of it's origin has anything to do with what the previous origin was, under Arun'Asna, etc, all that **** in the past.

I think you'd be able to accomplish much better RP in not at all linking this to the old Shade, instead stating Shade as a simple inspiration, and elaborating and creating your own origin, or perhaps a shift-over, an explanation for why this returned, after such an extended death. Those few who actually seek to roleplay Shade for the downside aesthetics, as I once had [though I've since moved on entirely from this lore in general, after having been the one to shoot it in the head in the end] who take it up once more, or anyone who does actually choose to take this up, should be aware it's clearly more of a downside feat with some added aesthetic to magic if you do have any magic.

Whilst it's good on the aesthetics front, I don't really think there's any need for a Shade Gem at all, as it really just led to hierarchies - which I don't see this as something that should have a hierarchy at all. I also suggest you go more indepth into the nature of the Parasite itself, including it in this piece, etc.

12 hours ago, Luv said:
  • Using the Tsperkn zu’Serthekhur, one can communicate with anyone who is hosting a Shade. This cannot be used to metarally, and can only be used to summon everyone to meetings in character.

This is something I don't see merit in, alongside the Shade Gem and the unexplained origin. I think it could be something that could be possibly abused, and should be an ability outright listed along the two others, with proper emote counts and whatnot listed, as well as limitations and such, to prevent it from being abused.

All in all, I think you should really elaborate more on the downsides of the feat, beyond the redlines and what's seen of it in the lore itself. It's not so much a Magic as it is a simple, antagonistic curse, of a far weaker level than it had originally been, that is capable of imbuing certain aesthetic properties unto other magics. I'm not against this at all, but like I said, I encourage you to not link it to the old Shade, as it seems to have a mix of unexplained origin and some history from a couple maps back when Tsuyose had the magic. When it comes to picking one or another out of the 2 origins, I'd go for the former - elaborate on this unexplained origin, cut off the old origin, as the two mix like oil and water. I think it'd make it more appealing to explore for anyone who does bear this curse - emphasis on curse.

1 minute ago, Mordhaund said:

I think you'd be able to accomplish much better RP in not at all linking this to the old Shade, instead stating Shade as a simple inspiration, and elaborating and creating your own origin, or perhaps a shift-over, an explanation for why this returned, after such an extended death. Those few who actually seek to roleplay Shade for the downside aesthetics, as I once had [though I've since moved on entirely from this lore in general, after having been the one to shoot it in the head in the end] who take it up once more, or anyone who does actually choose to take this up, should be aware it's clearly more of a downside feat with some added aesthetic to magic if you do have any magic.

Whilst it's good on the aesthetics front, I don't really think there's any need for a Shade Gem at all, as it really just led to hierarchies - which I don't see this as something that should have a hierarchy at all. I also suggest you go more indepth into the nature of the Parasite itself, including it in this piece, etc.

12 hours ago, Luv said:

This is something I don't see merit in, alongside the Shade Gem and the unexplained origin. I think it could be something that could be possibly abused, and should be an ability outright listed along the two others, with proper emote counts and whatnot listed, as well as limitations and such, to prevent it from being abused.

This. I was writing this- but, i was beaten to it.