[✓] The Aura of Mana

Sybbyl0127

Something else to improve magic, I instantly give my support and I really do like the aesthetic elements given.

+1

How does this rewrite expand upon what has already been accepted? So far as I can tell, all this does is fail to mention the time-worn "aura is mana-smoke" analogy, only talking about an "aura of mana" which is much less clear than the section in "States of Mana".

Edited by Hindsightmancy

53 minutes ago, Hindsightmancy said:

How does this rewrite expand upon what has already been accepted? So far as I can tell, all this does is fail to mention the time-worn "aura is mana-smoke" analogy, only talking about an "aura of mana" which is much less clear than the section in "States of Mana".

I only intended for the time being to rewrite the page "Expanding Auras"

But I could merge the two and write out the states of mana as well, in theory.

I just think the States of Mana page has aged rather well all considering and it's quite easy to understand, so it doesnt super need one really.

The page on Auras was quite alright for the time it was written, matched with other stuff at that time, but now its rather vague in comparison to the amount of information we usually get on these things. As an ST I got a loooot of questions about auras, now that housemagery is very popular and thats the aura housemages use. So I wrote this page up to make a bunch of clarifications and expanding on some of the explanations, without actually changing how the Auras work

2 minutes ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

I only intended for the time being to rewrite the page "Expanding Auras"

But I could merge the two and write out the states of mana as well, in theory.

I just think the States of Mana page has aged rather well all considering and it's quite easy to understand, so it doesnt super need one really.

The page on Auras was quite alright for the time it was written, matched with other stuff at that time, but now its rather vague in comparison to the amount of information we usually get on these things. As an ST I got a loooot of questions about auras, now that housemagery is very popular and thats the aura housemages use. So I wrote this page up to make a bunch of clarifications and expanding on some of the explanations, without actually changing how the Auras work

I agree that the "States of Mana" page has aged well, yet, you have rewritten the section in it on auras. I think you may have missed the section on auras in the "States of Mana" page. Between the aura expansion and the original description in "States of Mana", everything you have written in your post is covered and accepted.

I think it's a good clarification piece, and it definitely informs people that their Aura doesn't have to be confined to their eyes glowing.

That being said, and this is moreso a suggestion if anything, I think it oughta be wise to add this bit in:

Blue: Calculatedness and logicality (Sometimes emotional coldness)

Purple: Mysteriousness

White: Benevolence, order and innocence.

Brown: Nurturing and caring

Yellow: Greed (Sometimes optimism)

Red: Dominance, power and control (Sometimes tyrannical natures)

Green: Harmony and balance (Sometimes vanity).

Black: Chaos and malevolence.

Although these were only canon at one point, it is pretty much the general consensus that people follow in RP. Of course, characters are allowed to deviate from this and create their own theses on Aura, but I do believe that inserting this bit as the most popular interpretation of Auras would be helpful to new and old Mages.

3 minutes ago, Hindsightmancy said:

I agree that the "States of Mana" page has aged well, yet, you have rewritten the section in it on auras. I think you may have missed the section on auras in the "States of Mana" page. Between the aura expansion and the original description in "States of Mana", everything you have written in your post is covered and accepted.

1 minute ago, Isaacc said:

I think it's a good clarification piece, and it definitely informs people that their Aura doesn't have to be confined to their eyes glowing.

That being said, and this is moreso a suggestion if anything, I think it oughta be wise to add this bit in:

Although these were only canon at one point, it is pretty much the general consensus that people follow in RP. Of course, characters are allowed to deviate from this and create their own theses on Aura, but I do believe that inserting this bit as the most popular interpretation of Auras would be helpful to new and old Mages.

You guys make good points, I'll look over the States of Mana page and see if I need to make any clarifications or changes : )
If the two pages are really that connected, I might just do a clarification rewrite on the states of mana page too.

Rewrites don't have to actually change things, its only happening here because these pages are so old their writers are no longer here. If for instance the writer of the pages were around, I'd probably just ask them if we can chat and have them edit in the clarifications x3

But thank you for bringing this stuff up o/ I only kept the Expanding on Auras page up while I wrote this, I'll side by side them here in a bit to see if I can make it work out better ^_^

3 minutes ago, Sybbyl0127 said:

You guys make good points, I'll look over the States of Mana page and see if I need to make any clarifications or changes : )
If the two pages are really that connected, I might just do a clarification rewrite on the states of mana page too.

Rewrites don't have to actually change things, its only happening here because these pages are so old their writers are no longer here. If for instance the writer of the pages were around, I'd probably just ask them if we can chat and have them edit in the clarifications x3

But thank you for bringing this stuff up o/ I only kept the Expanding on Auras page up while I wrote this, I'll side by side them here in a bit to see if I can make it work out better ^_^

It might be easier to work out what clarifications you'd like to make, if any, run them by the ST, and then just reply to the original post with those clarifications (which I believe you can do as an ST). I remember some posts having clarifications edited in after they were posted, by ST responding with those clarifications in the thread.

5 minutes ago, Hindsightmancy said:

It might be easier to work out what clarifications you'd like to make, if any, run them by the ST, and then just reply to the original post with those clarifications (which I believe you can do as an ST). I remember some posts having clarifications edited in after they were posted, by ST responding with those clarifications in the thread.

Aye that's what I was thinking about doing just now, I found the lines that conflict with one another.

The "expanding on auras" page did away with a small portion of the Aura section under the states of mana page, but back then forum lore wasn't super strictly maintained, so I imagine it just wasnt edited out.

These lines haven't been accurate since Expanding on Auras was accepted:
This means that the aura colour of an individual is a good representation of their base character. Aura colour does not change under typical circumstances, however, and is a constant throughout one's life unless great change happens to them or their soul (such as becoming a Shade or binding one's soul to a soul tree). The colour of aura can mean many things, where blue could mean anything from a cool, analytical mind to a cruel, heartless one, or red meaning bravery or wrath. It is usually very difficult to be sure of a person's nature solely by their aura. Auras are typically monotone, though magical alterations to one's soul may cause unique effects to appear. This only occurs when a soul has been warped to such a level that it can no longer be considered a descendant soul.

So I can just run it by managers and see if I can repair it without needing to submit a full rewrite, after my post goes through a mag

In terms of the part about specific colors meaning specific things, that's totally fine to be kept as an in character idea, but it doesn't need to be on the post, since its not particularly accurate, but is entirely fine as a head canon concept.

On 3/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, Isaacc said:

no this should be strictly cultural, not concrete in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Nozoa said:

Agreed, same crap as horoscopes

2 hours ago, Nozoa said:

It's always been cultured based on some random ass assigned mood things mages thought was 'cute', never confirmed lore

I’m not a big fan of having auras be assigned to personalities, but I do like the concept of auras in general. They make for interesting and complex descriptions beyond casting fireball.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, Slorbin said:

I’m not a big fan of having auras be assigned to personalities, but I do like the concept of auras in general. They make for interesting and complex descriptions beyond casting fireball.

Yup, and that's fine ^_^ All that stuff about it being based on personalities is currently not canon, even before my expansion on it here. all my write does is clarify a lot of things that were left very vague, and adds a little freedom of creativity : )