TREASURER’S REPORT, 365 ES

On the Pursuit of Krawns

The Endeavours of the Royal Treasury

Treasurer_CREST.png?width=709&height=670

Issued by the

Office of The Royal Treasurer

On this 22 of Wzuvar and Byvca  of 365 ES

Shortened Summary

• Treasury reports are intended to keep the populace informed of the inner workings and competence of the Office of the Treasurer.

• Endeavour #1: Ledgers were very poorly kept and money was missing. Ledgers of both the Treasury and Stewards were fixed and the Koeng ordered for the investigations of the money to halt.

• Endeavour #2: Former Treasurer Edvard Amador found to have avoided paying tax by using his position as treasurer, equating to 1,700 minas in total, whilst 800 minas were recorded as “Donations'' in the old ledgers. Furthermore, assets valuing to 6,000 (coming in the form of 12 Black Krawns) were found in a basement belonging to Edvard Amador, the money now returned back to the Crown’s capital.

• Endeavour #3: The Crown’s profits have been increasing steadily through both business deals and stable income, with the treasury contributing roughly 30% to the profits. Furthermore, expansions and reduction of tax and downpay for properties is either done or planned to be finished soon.

• Endeavour #4: The First Market Fair held the previous Saint's Day saw more than 80 participants in total, two Tournaments, one of Carrion Drinking and the other of Jousting taking place, as well as a lot of trade happening. Possibly more of these to come in the future.

PREFACE

VA BIRODEO E HERZENAV,

On this day, marking the 5th anniversary of Brandt Barclay’s term as Royal Treasurer of Hanseti-Ruska, the Royal Treasury has decided to post a public report on a portion of the inner workings, progress, and plans intended to be executed by the Treasurer thus far. Serving as a direct and formal medium of communication and information of the populace with the Aulic Office, this report is intended to keep record of the endeavors pursued. Although not planned yet, it will be kept an aim to post such reports every 5th year of the current Treasurer’s tenure, striving for consistency, whilst keeping each report meaningful and organized.

ba40bf3c9f0f24aac6b3b39539684fe4.jpg

Depiction of the Royal Treasurer writing reports and updating the ledgers.

ENDEAVOUR #1

The Detailing of Records

Starting the report in a chronological order, since the very first day of my tenure, as I was fully exposed and introduced to the bookkeeping system set up, not only was it admitted to me, but it was also apparent that said system was highly outdated and incompetent in its core. The ledgers kept by the Treasury lacked critical information and recordkeeping of a good majority of the income sources, namely and most importantly that of House Sales within Karosgrad.

This became most apparent to me when I was exposed to the ledgers of the Office of the Seneschal, as such records were missing in both the ledgers kept by the Treasury and Stewardry. From the businessman’s perspective, this I could describe as one of my worst nightmares, and a clear threat to not only the recordkeeping, but also the maximizing of the revenue. In other, simpler words, such limited records left room to exploitation of the Crown’s capital to whoever was willing enough.

For the sake of simplicity and non-disclosure of information regarding the Crown’s capital, it suffices to say that after hours of calculations and retakings of the old, limited ledgers, it appeared that a significant amount of money money was missing from the Treasury’s assets, money that was supposed to be there but wasn’t.

After order of the Koeng to let go of my further investigation, I naturally complied with his majesty’s orders and did as such, and instead began on implementing my own Ledger System which I had prepared since my time as Kastellan of Resources and Auditor for the Royal Treasury. As such, it was simply a matter of setting the system up. The new Ledger now containing:

• Direct calculations for the the exact amount of mina kept into the treasury by the trading of Krawns - which the Treasury and the Crown have made their goal not to fiddle with or use in any way shape or form, due to it being the money of the populace purchasing and trading on it.

• Charts of the money donated to the Treasury, as well as the amounts lended by it, keeping precise track of any individuals supporting their Kingdom, whilst also knowing who owes it what.

• New sheets of records on who has traded on the Golden and Black Krawns, priced 100 minas and 500 minas respectively. Although the names of those trading are kept in record, it is apparent to the Office that this currency may be trading from person to person if large sums are required. However, knowing and recordkeeping of the circulation of such currency is more than important in keeping detailed information on the Crown’s capital.

• An entirely new book outlining a summary of each year’s expenditures and incomes of the Crown’s capital, put in manageable and understandable rows for the Koeng to be informed directly every end of each year, thus keeping the owner of the mina informed of its circulation first-hand. The inclusion of this same system pushed for an enhancement of the basic ledger, which includes every income and expenditure, and is unkempt directly by the Treasurer everytime money goes in or out for any reason.

moneylender-and-his-wife.jpg

Depiction of Ser Brandt Barclay and High Seneschal Ingrid Barclaysetting up counting the Treasury's funds and upkeeping the ledgers.

While these changes and additions were done to the Treasury’s Ledgers, the problem still remained for the outdated and poorly kept Ledgers of the Office of the Seneschal. As such, through direct working with the Lady Seneschal, Ingrid Barclay @MissToni, we were able to set up a more stable system of not only direct bookkeeping of each profit mina coming from any source of the Seneschal’s Office. Furthermore, a better system of interaction between our two Offices was set up, forcing double checking and validation of each amount of money coming in, as well as expecting evidence for each Steward selling the Crown’s Property.

ENDEAVOUR #2

On the Pursuit of Krawns

During my second year as Treasurer, after it was brought up to my attention by the High Seneschal that my predecessor - Edvard Amador - atop the inability to keep track of ledgers properly and efficiently, had also been unable to record his own payments of taxes and downpay for a manor he was set to upkeep. Using the limited, old ledgers kept by Edvard, it was estimated that the downpay and tax unpaid equated to a value of over 1,700 mina which was technically unpaid for. However, although the ledger provided outlined a total amount of 800 mina recorded as “Donations” from the same individuals who were running said manor, the money didn’t add up.

What was to follow was a chain of investigations conducted by the Office of the Royal treasury to dig deeper into the matter. For sake of simplicity and unnecessary waste of paper, the conclusion of these investigations came in the value of over 6,000 mina in the form of 12 Black Krawns found to be stored inside the basement of one of Edvard Amador’s properties. This appeared to be part of the missing money outlined in the first Endeavor. As such, the assets were returned back to the Crown and the ledgers updated.

It is unclear whether this finding was the product of a misconduct from the former Treasurer, or perhaps something more. However, it’s of great joy to the Office of the Treasury and the Crown to bring back the rest of the missing Krawns, which made up the entire batch that was in the Treasury’s possession before Edvard’s retirement - which in itself was not mentioned from my talks with him, as I believed a good deal of the Krawns was already traded, when in reality it appears none was.

ursury-.jpg

Depiction of Ser Brandt Barclay launching the investigation and pursue the missing 6,000 mina.

ENDEAVOUR #3

Maximising Revenue & Market Expansion

Being one of the main aims and works of the Royal Treasurer, the maximising and proper management of the Crown’s assets and capital ranks high on the list of the focuses of the Office. As such, it comes as no surprise that, through the analysing of the weekly report (as outlined in the first endeavour), the Kingdom’s capital has seen drastic and constant increase through its many deals and steady income from its institutions, with the Office of the Treasury contributing to roughly 30% of these profits.

Furthermore, with the Market expansions issued by both the Offices of the Treasury and Seneschal, the trade-related properties of our capital have seen a drastic increase in demand and purchasing, successfully encouraging businesses to initiate and expand within the Kingdom.

Coming together with the expansions, further changes were done to the prices and tax values of all properties in Karosgrad, with a portion of the more nonsensical previous prices being changed, more specifically reduced to proper amounts. As the rest of the house

The Market Expansion Edict:

ENDEAVOUR #4

The First Market Fair of Karosgrad

With the first Market Fair™ hosted by the Royal Treasury, with Erich Erwin Barclay being put in charge to oversee the proceedings and events happening, the event itself is considered to have been a major success by the Office of Treasury. With over 80 participants showing up, trade was conducted all over, so much so in fact that the Jousting Tournament was pushed by around a saint’s hour in order to allow for trading to degrade so that people would come over.

8896a3aceaae0681c7bfc74c5106de42.png

Depiction of the first Karosgardian Market Fair held at the garden behind the palace.

With about ten stalls rented and trading, the main two events held were the Carrion Drinking Tournament and the Jousting Tournament held thereafter. The first one, out of about 9 participants, Queen Mother Isabel Barbanov @Juliwas the best to hold her drink, thus winning a number of crates filled with Carrion Black.

8nkqYxz.png

Erich Barclay hosting the Carrion Drinking Tournament.

As for the Jousting Tournament, out of 10 participants to the point, Matthew @Pureimp10 won the main contest and the 100 minas that came with it, whilst Jolfrey @jolfrey came in second. After his win over his fellow contestants, Matthew went head to head with The Crow Knight Ser Grigoryi Vilac @pkdon, who fought in the name of the King of Hanseti-Ruska, his Majesty Heinrik II @Rudi, who was present during the gallant tournament, and blessed its proceedings. As such, the Haeseni knight was able to show his skill and flawlessly beat the very talented Matthew, who nevertheless kept his price and showed to be an exceptional rider and jouster.

With such successful of an event, it is in the Treasury’s plan to prepare more of such in the future.

660px-Paulus_Hector_Mair_Tjost_fig2.jpg

Depiction of the gallant riders competing in the Jousting Tournament during the Market Fair.

IV JOVEO MAN

Signed, His Excellency Ser Brandt Barclay KC, Lord Treasurer of Hanseti-Ruska

mfred_seal.png

Ingrid Barclay nodded her head as Edvard Amador was finally exposed to the public.

"And to think the man accused me for the missing mina, when it was all him" she would scoff with clear disgust. 

"I thought Amadors wouldn't allow such a thing to themselves..", the elder priest ponders for a moment, shaking his head before preparing the scripture for the upcoming mass.

Mio Mackensen laid in his bed reading over the missive Brandt Barclay delivered to his home along with some cabbages his old friend Manfred Barclay harvests "Bah! Ich can't believe this," He scoffed as he read over the news of Edvard, ranting to Brandt before he had departed "did he have nicht honor to pay tax like the average fair man? May you youngin' Barclays keep up the fine work!" He nodded his head solemnly before tossing the paper onto the ground, being mindful to not let it end up in the fire "These are some fine cabbages too."

Just now, Mio_ said:

Mio Mackensen laid in his bed reading over the missive Brandt Barclay delivered to his home along with some cabbages his old friend Manfred Barclay harvests "Bah! Ich can't believe this," He scoffed as he read over the news of Edvard, ranting to Brandt before he had departed "did he have nicht honor to pay tax like the average fair man? May you youngin' Barclays keep up the fine work!" He nodded his head solemnly before tossing the paper onto the ground, being mindful to not let it end up in the fire "These are some fine cabbages too."

Ser Brandt Barclay prepares the next batch of cabbage delivery to send to the final, old Mackensen (excluding Daniel) for next year's harvest, making sure to put in some small bottles of Carrion for the old man to enjoy.

Fionn Castaway does a double take when he reads about the colossal 6,000 mina being found "Classic Brandt, always getting the bag." He says to himself before continuing putting defences together at the main gate.

Matthew proudly deposits his 100 coins to the Bank. "Mo' money mo' problems, that's what I always say!"