[PK] Adelaide

rukio

A figure would sigh upon learning the news, shaking his head in annoyance "And the last respectable one of those warriors fall."

Only the curls of flame provided illumination within the darkened hovel, poised against the moonlit hills of wheat and produce. The grand hearth, composed of roughly carved stone and clay, roared with its daunting flame. As if dancing to an unheard melody of victory, the blaze warped around the stone that contained it.

A sole figure sat before the extensive conflagration that tormented his callow mind. The fire refused to shed its light upon the room's bitter darkness, leaving the hunched body in an isolated murk. With the shreds of light that persisted, the figure’s upright form shook, as if quaking beneath unseen pressure. Sparse and ragged intakes of breath quietly sounded throughout the room as the man struggled to maintain steadiness amidst his lament. Strewn about the floormat on which the man sat were countless letters and scrolls, each having been unsuccessful in its delivery to Ezyl.

With robes that stood still amidst his convulses, Anduin leered into the inferno that flushed dim luminescence over his scarred countenance. The glare did not splinter from the crackling flames for some time, even when a stray ember leaped from the unified elegance of the deep orange cavort. Memories eviscerated the Paladin as he grieved, crackling against the back wall of his enflamed gullet. As they continued to strike him, each more defined and piercing than the last, his glare broke the flames and his head fell into his lap. Overtaken by another ring of ugly coughs and wheezes, the ‘ame had been already drained of any tears he may shed.

His flesh was white against his knuckles as he clung to two objects he had now slumped over. One was a common book labeled Four Noble Friends. The leather binding pulled itself taut as Anduin clutched the cautionary tale of strife and greed. The book was Adelith’s final gift to Anduin, offered mere hours before her eventual disappearance. Atop the book’s stitched cover rested a note. With the handwriting of the fallen Paladin, it read,

To Anduin,

We never did get those dogs we planned to or got to hunt those monsters I wanted to. I hope someday you come to forgive me for having to depart in the middle of the Inferi crisis. If I were healthy, I would stay, I would fight alongside you and Jack, but I leave you with this. Take good care of him, I went to some great lengths to get him sent in from Aeldin. The breeder said he’ll grow up to be a large, sturdy warhound, as all of his breeds do. 

P.S. Don’t you dare die or stray from the Sunlit path, either.

For an indefinite time, Anduin wept as the memories encompassed his lamenting features. 

The towering warhound that fought alongside both Anduin and Adelith during the Inferi conflict, the Last Light campaigns, and countless escapades in which the two served— Sprinkles— continued to hunt and forage for wherever Adelith may be hidden.

Alas, Sprinkles would not find the fallen Paladin of Xan.

An elf sat in the Hanseti tavern, flipping through a tome. Every so often, he'd glance to the right at an empty seat, scoffing.

A young Occultist's gaze would rest upon the campfire before her, their emotions hidden behind a featureless visor lit dimly by the raging flame. A weary sigh would escape their lips as their thoughts drifted back to the very first encounter they had with the woman who called herself Ezyl. A moment that would would have lead her down the path she now tread.

"Oh, Ezyl. You changed my life forever when you offered me a second chance that day. It's a shame our time together was so.. brief."

The Veiled Woman would rise from the perch at the campfire, an armoured hand going to retrieve the starsteel flamebrand resting beside the fire and securing it to their waist. With a swift kick at the snow before her she would extinguish the fire before turning to depart into the forest, the visor hiding the dour expression on their countenance.

"It's a shame i never got to repay the favour, i would have loved the opportunity to bring you into the fold."