[✓] [CA Race Lore] Musin, the mousemen of Almaris

Slorbin

+1 Don't stop a race that you would have fun playing from being made just because you think it ~might~ die off. I would relive MANY of my good experiences even if they had tragic endings. Also maybe just play the race and it won't be an issue? lol. Also shelve humans. 

4 hours ago, JustGrim said:

+1 for Rukio rat queen

I hate mice, they're disgusting and smell bad and hateful little things, unlike rats. Redact this at once.

i like the idea of rat/mouse people but i prefer the horrific and disgusting skaven type rodent people instead, big goblin-like tribalistic rats living as a hivemind nest to consume everything around it

cute little mice are more a halfling niche, so i -1

its good lore though in any case

I like this idea a lot, I'd make for a lot of spice in RP and would be really good for lotC.

+1

As the author of the wonkmen I wish you luck, but I have to concede and say no open beastman CA will last unless it's something actively impactful and a driving force in the world of lotc.

Consider it like this. A new player joins the server, and see what race they want to play. They see the options available to them, without the need of an application or further reading on the forums. That player may eventually branch outwards, and try these CA races, but the number of people who do is significantly fewer than the people who don't, because of the extra effort required. And the people who actually stick with a creature after the freshness and newness of them dies down is always very low.

This is why I spent a long time as ST fighting some managers a few years back, who wanted to make halflings an open CA. It would have destroyed the halfling niche, because it would have been instantly less accessible to new players. This would have resulted in a slow death for halfling roleplayers, because appeal and accessibility to new players is a valuable resource.

Now, halflings get to be a fully open race because, one, they are iconic and from lotr, and two, they're basically small humans, meaning anyone can roleplay them without much reading or effort. The mousemen are different in the way wonks are different; in making them unique and cool to play, you have to make them essentially inaccessible to new players. Any half decent new animal people have to be unique enough to be fun, but by doing that it ostracizes itself by requiring that application 

This is ultimately why wonks failed, and why kha were on the chopping block for so long. We can only have a few of these low activity races, because having too many would kill the little activity that they shared. If we had 10 of these races, each might have one active player. This is a roleplay server intended for interaction, and having one player per race is extremely bad for roleplay and for player retention.

This is why the ST has to be the big bad wolf and go "grr, activity!!" It's not because they hate fun things, or cute mouse people, it's because it's their job to think about the impact of a piece of lore being implemented. Every time one of these pieces is voted on, it's a conundrum for them, because the ST like everyone else WANTS this cute **** to be playable. But we can't greenlight all of them, and there can only ever be a few available spots for open CAS such as this.

I hope I explained things decently. This isn't a critique of your lore, but I'm just trying to explain what these ST mean about "flavor of the month" and the inherent problems of how open CAs work that almost always result in inactivity. I really do wish you luck with this piece of lore, because we do need niches like this.

I love the cute mouse people and keep up the good work.

image0-47.gif

I mean I guess we got some new space for some new Open CA's so 

+1 and proud of you if you get this to work

It's very unfortunate how true Archipelago's words are because well it's facts, but sometimes you can still get things to work with enough endeavor. So, don't give up :D

2 hours ago, Archipelego said:

As the author of the wonkmen I wish you luck, but I have to concede and say no open beastman CA will last unless it's something actively impactful and a driving force in the world of lotc.

Consider it like this. A new player joins the server, and see what race they want to play. They see the options available to them, without the need of an application or further reading on the forums. That player may eventually branch outwards, and try these CA races, but the number of people who do is significantly fewer than the people who don't, because of the extra effort required. And the people who actually stick with a creature after the freshness and newness of them dies down is always very low.

This is why I spent a long time as ST fighting some managers a few years back, who wanted to make halflings an open CA. It would have destroyed the halfling niche, because it would have been instantly less accessible to new players. This would have resulted in a slow death for halfling roleplayers, because appeal and accessibility to new players is a valuable resource.

Now, halflings get to be a fully open race because, one, they are iconic and from lotr, and two, they're basically small humans, meaning anyone can roleplay them without much reading or effort. The mousemen are different in the way wonks are different; in making them unique and cool to play, you have to make them essentially inaccessible to new players. Any half decent new animal people have to be unique enough to be fun, but by doing that it ostracizes itself by requiring that application 

This is ultimately why wonks failed, and why kha were on the chopping block for so long. We can only have a few of these low activity races, because having too many would kill the little activity that they shared. If we had 10 of these races, each might have one active player. This is a roleplay server intended for interaction, and having one player per race is extremely bad for roleplay and for player retention.

This is why the ST has to be the big bad wolf and go "grr, activity!!" It's not because they hate fun things, or cute mouse people, it's because it's their job to think about the impact of a piece of lore being implemented. Every time one of these pieces is voted on, it's a conundrum for them, because the ST like everyone else WANTS this cute **** to be playable. But we can't greenlight all of them, and there can only ever be a few available spots for open CAS such as this.

I hope I explained things decently. This isn't a critique of your lore, but I'm just trying to explain what these ST mean about "flavor of the month" and the inherent problems of how open CAs work that almost always result in inactivity. I really do wish you luck with this piece of lore, because we do need niches like this.

I love the cute mouse people and keep up the good work.

image0-47.gif

11 hours ago, rukio said:

I hate mice, they're disgusting and smell bad and hateful little things, unlike rats. Redact this at once.

Unironically true, Mice are horrible pets IRL. Rats are much, much nicer.

11 hours ago, Ryloth said:

i like the idea of rat/mouse people but i prefer the horrific and disgusting skaven type rodent people instead, big goblin-like tribalistic rats living as a hivemind nest to consume everything around it

cute little mice are more a halfling niche, so i -1

its good lore though in any case

https://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Ratiki These do exist, actually, but they're an unplayable race, per a previous decision in 2019. They were the antagonists of Atlas.

Thank you Chaosgamer and Archipelago for your support. I think I understand the situation better now, but I hope the ST can come to the conclusion that this will have enough activity to last a long while. I think everyone's a little afraid of what happened to wonks, but I don't think that will occur with this race. I thank you for your support and information, nonetheless, it's insightful.

Like Chaosgamer said, we have room for another CA race now, as the only other one is Kha. I think this is the one that aught to be added. People in OOC seemed to agree and be interested in such a race, and most everyone here seems to want to play it. People wanting to play a race is a great sign that it will last.

5 hours ago, Slorbin said:

People wanting to play a race is a great sign that it will last.

Not necessarily true. People will always want to play a new CA race that comes out, but most of the players who apply for these creatures from day one only play them for a very short time before they realize they're bored and go back to their main characters. So it'll get played by maybe 20-30 active people for about a month, but then those numbers drop down to 2-3. I know I'm kind of repeating the subject, but a lot of this comes from with what happened with Wonks (bc thats exactly what happened) and it'll likely happen with this CA too if it's accepted

Really this CA wont be significantly active even if you do get the players, at least not any more active than the Kha. What you need is a defined group of core players who are interested in truly dedicating their time and energy into this race, people who won't just get bored after day 5 and will play it as their focus character if it makes sense

Nonetheless good luck with the lore 

38 minutes ago, ๖ۣۣۜ҉𝔘nwillingly said:

Not necessarily true. People will always want to play a new CA race that comes out, but most of the players who apply for these creatures from day one only play them for a very short time before they realize they're bored and go back to their main characters. So it'll get played by maybe 20-30 active people for about a month, but then those numbers drop down to 2-3. I know I'm kind of repeating the subject, but a lot of this comes from with what happened with Wonks (bc thats exactly what happened) and it'll likely happen with this CA too if it's accepted

Really this CA wont be significantly active even if you do get the players, at least not any more active than the Kha. What you need is a defined group of core players who are interested in truly dedicating their time and energy into this race, people who won't just get bored after day 5 and will play it as their focus character if it makes sense

Nonetheless good luck with the lore 

What happened with Hou-Zi? I wasn't around when Hou-Zi were introduced. Were those successful? If so, what made that happen?

I love Redwall so I like this

9 hours ago, Slorbin said:

What happened with Hou-Zi? I wasn't around when Hou-Zi were introduced. Were those successful? If so, what made that happen?

The hou-zi, as with the Kha and wonks as well for long periods of time, had activity spikes. For one period they were very active and the other they were non-existent.

This resulted in the Hou-zi getting the chopping block as well with the wonks because they were inactive for a long time. Even the Kha were debatable but they were given a second-chance with the new lore they pushed out really quickly

On 3/20/2021 at 1:35 AM, Anore said:

I love Redwall so I like this

Anore is already super into rats so this is right up his ally. Now he can have his rat wife irply <3

I digress- I think this is a uber cute set up and think that if people wanna roleplay as mice- let them. 

+1 :")

As much as i'd like to say ratatouille rp would be funny meme xD, i fear they'll just go down the road of wonks.