THE DUTIES OF ELVES

The Media Wizard

oaktree.png

“To Malin, lover of nature, he promised him many children. He promised him that their laughter would resonate across their forest homes and that he would be content. Malin did not want anything more in this world than a bountiful amount of young to occupy the barren forest.

Malin, I curse you with sterility. You and your kin shall forever lack the children you need. May your forest halls forever be silent and your hearts heavy with sadness.”

— Unknown Author, The History of Iblees

divider.png

The curse of the elves is of agony. Unlike the lust of dwarves and the ardor for warfare of orcs, the elves were cursed with finality. Even with our diminished population in our forested halls, however, we have become a thriving and dutiful people. The curse is ever present, but we’ve overcome it by thriving in the half-dozen worlds we've settled.

Our duties are undefined, though. As elves, we must recognize that with our plentiful numbers there is one reality: we are fewer than any other nation and Descendant race. As such, we must fulfill the requirements for our people that can often be compartmentalized in larger states such as Oren. As such, I call upon my brothers and sisters of the forest to unite in one common cause:

Protecting our people.

Too often has conflict come to our doorstep and dozens of elves become hapless bystanders. Too often have elves walked the streets and roads inside and outside our capital without a weapon at their side. Too often have the guards of our city been overtaken on the pathways while their kin ignore their please for support. We are fewer than other nations, but we have the population to truly turn the misfortune we’ve suffered into stability. How is it we fulfill this duty? We must place more than just faith in the Emerald Guard — we must join it.

If most of our populace served our guard force in some capacity, we’d have no concern for bandits and raiders within our midst. Myself and the Warden Order serve as auxiliary units to the guard force; we are driven in this endeavor by duty above all else. A prepared and organized nation is far more powerful than pushing the responsibility of defense solely on a single set of elves. So, here is what I recommend.

I. All elves of the realm ought to carry with them a longsword, armor of some make and well-cooked meat to keep them healthy before battles. Always carry these things — never feel safe without them.
II. Elves of the realm should always take up arms against raiders and bandits within our city and along our roads. Let the Emerald Guard handle miscreants within the city: criminals and the like.
III. Join the Emerald Guard and help defend the city while advancing yourself as a skilled warrior and elf-lord of old. Our guards need support and I know many elves of this city that could bring great skill to their ranks.

This is all I ask; all that is required of us. To any elf that says they are too weak or unprepared when conflict arrives, I preach shame to you. You dishonor yourself. I’ve seen newly-made mothers draw up their swords in defense of this nation while fully capable elves in decorative chainmail flee. We must be better.

"Mavallumn, kathiran'amemanor... Nae y ahkina'leh anohan'wy lle illerehane."

— Amaesil

Upon reading the missive, Eir'thall granted a forlorn glare to the looming maple above while slowly folding the paper. Pressing his back to the trunk, he'd sink to the ground. "I have no clue what I'm doing wrong." he admitted, dejected. "Not even a prince could preach the same and convince the masses, so what can we do about it?" 

He looks across other missives in his possession, mulling over each he had written in the past. 

Spoiler

Arla blinked at the massive in her hands, sipping tea as she read it. 

“cowardice? I have a daughter to protect. I won’t be joining any battle unless the walls around my home begin to crumble, only for her will I pick up a blade like I did in the past.” she mumbled a little whilst adding the paper to a pile next to her. 

Edited by ElevenJellyBeans

7 minutes ago, ElevenJellyBeans said:

Arla blinked at the massive in her hands, sipping tea as she read it. 

“cowardice? I have a daughter to protect. I won’t be joining any battle unless the walls around my home begin to crumble, only for her will I pick up a blade like I did in the past.” she mumbled a little whilst adding the paper to a pile next to her. 

Amaesil looks at the missive where he comments on Arla drawing her sword shortly after her birth and commending the elfess on her bravery. He stops mid-fruit cup.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20201101-233235.png

2 minutes ago, The Media Wizard said:

Amaesil looks at the missive where he comments on Arla drawing her sword shortly after her birth and commending the elfess on her bravery. He stops mid-fruit cup.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20201101-233235.png

Arla magically notes at the man the part where she says ‘like I have in the past’ 

“A complete idiot.” Naeri Vuln’miruel grumbled to herself as she read over the missive which was posted on the Bulletin Board within Elvenesse. As the ‘ame shook her head she’d reach up to quickly tear the missive from the board and shove it in her pocket. “Anyone who calls themselves a follower of The Wild Faith or a Druii should NEVER join a Military that's main focus is the protection of a nation and not the Balance. The protection of the Balance should come before all else. When YOU must make the decision between the protection of a nation and the protection of the Balance I hope you make the right choice.” She commented in utter disappointment, almost embarrassed by the idiocy of a fellow ‘ame. 

10 minutes ago, DesiredBreakfast said:

“A complete idiot.” Naeri Vuln’miruel grumbled to herself as she read over the missive which was posted on the Bulletin Board within Elvenesse. As the ‘ame shook her head she’d reach up to quickly tear the missive from the board and shove it in her pocket. “Anyone who calls themselves a follower of The Wild Faith or a Druii should NEVER join a Military that's main focus is the protection of a nation and not the Balance. The protection of the Balance should come before all else. When YOU must make the decision between the protection of a nation and the protection of the Balance I hope you make the right choice.” She commented in utter disappointment, almost embarrassed by the idiocy of a fellow ‘ame. 

"If we do not protect the people, who will be there to protect the balance?" Asks a newcomer elf named Gailien in passing.

A young man of bronze skin and ebon hair stares at the missive for a moment, reading it over. He recalls the raids that have plagued his people for years, the brothers and sisters that have been lost to the vicious and cruel raiders. The lad was too young to fight alongside the guard then. He makes a solemn vow to himself, before walking off toward the gates.

"We shall not be afraid anymore."

Fenneyr would be polishing off his chestpiece with a bloody rag next to it, the mali chuckling at the missive before publishing a small missive out himself, him chuckling "Leave Elvenesse or Die" seemingly making a mocking feminine voice to it

The missive would be put on a board beneath this one within the city:

"To all those interested in learning how to defend themselves and the city the Wyn'okar (the revelry guild) will offer sparring and combat services to you so that you may be able to defend this nation in a raid, or yourself in a fight."

An abated sigh would escape the youth's frowned lips as troubled emerald hues would skim through the message. "Finally, someone brave enough to call out one of the problems here. A truly brave and honorable post, and yet, the current predicament lies with the fault of it's inhabitants, feigning ignorance and adapting to slothful behavior." Rubbing the bridge of her nose with a pair of callused fingers, Beowulf quietly grumbled. "Anyone who thinks otherwise from reading this post deserves to be kicked out for contributing to the problem at hand. . but hey, what am I kidding? That's like the majority of the populous here from what I've seen." Just before the girl would depart, she'd steal one last glance at the missive with growing vexation. "I hope that life gives you the reward you deserve; it's terribly hard to find such self-aware people here."

Edited by GammaRose