A DEN OF THIEVES

ZWqHg7CQAzwgIVULPjzTIcDuXvOO_xwjLlFm-9zUtGEOP7iKiapHc3ZxrciCLPiO4Xrti-te2qBHGqIgr6FO0REFAdBiTpXb2T3rIzr1WCIxgXpwxAx5rgxy4Ou5bcFjTZFuXl48

The Haeseni Royal Army barracks burn as angels flee from the scene.

C. 366 ES

feTfafCVxTRFCAEyD3D1Fkt8i_2_Mw-XfJ8PJE8Wqm9rKSHo7kvbfXo1Ny9leQ-AGi-Xr8NI9-mpNg2P8Oq4Zw2uPLeyJqxbO93dnA_WfMIK8pm_i5EvXmzHU-VUyZffb_Wchp1J

I must say, I have been disappointed thus far by what I have seen in Karosgrad. I had heard it said that Haense is a Kingdom of God, filled with honorable people and fair justice. Instead, I find it crawling with oppression and corruption, brought about by a tyrannical king who cares little for his people and only for his own self. What was meant to be a house of prayer and justice has been made a den of thieves, and the God that sent me will suffer this mockery no longer.

The Haeseni Royal Army is the tyrant’s instrument of oppression, and will be forced from this temple of God. The God that sent me is a mighty one, but he is also a forgiving one. Those who recognize the true nature of the HRA and, from here on, choose to join me in this fight will be saved. There will be no quarter for those of you that choose to continue serving villains. To the soldiers of the army that read this, you may have sinned so far, but God is forgiving. Recognize your sins and atone for them, and you shall be saved.

To the Northern Geographical Society, even though my objectives have shifted from business to saving the persecuted people of Haense, my interest in you has not changed. You who serve this oppressive government and indoctrinate the people with your lies shall be met with the destruction and fury of God. Ending your operations will not stop me from achieving my goals, for nothing shall stop the work of God.

SIN AND PERISH. REPENT AND BE SAVED.

Signed,

MATTHIEU

Henry Bishop would read the missive, having seen the brave soldiers of the Haense Royal Army risk their lives to put out the fire in the barracks. After remembering the display of bravery, he tears up the missive and goes off to find the nearest officer of the HRA to enlist.

Tanith, the head curator and Chief of Research at the Northern Geographical Society, blinks as she reads the missive, confused.

Serve the oppressive government? What? The NGS had made a vow not to be beholden to any government - and they'd made strong efforts throughout their entire existence to remain independent with no government oversight whatsoever?

Indoctrination? Truly? When their policy had always been to avoid strong opinions and present facts in a politically neutral light?

Even though this Matthieu man was threatening the NGS, she couldn't help but laugh just a little. "He doesn't know what he's talking about," she muses before taking her copy of the missive and feeding it into the fireplace of her home.

Lina Baruch is once again reminded of why she calls her role model “Mister Fire” as the young girl scampers through the streets of Oren searching for customers! “Quality produc’s fer sale! They’re legal and everythin’!”

Reading the missive in passing, Shirren stopped in his tracks to get a closer look. 

Sure there were many things about Haense and the people who ran it that he disagreed with, but the men and women of the HRA were his brethren, tried and true. That was no question. He would sooner lay down his life than let their good names be dragged through the dirt. 

To the missive, Shirren spoke, as if his words could somehow reach the author, wherever he may be. "You call us the villains, but we are not the ones lighting children on fire. If you want to make a statement, by all means, we can handle it. But don't do it with the lives of innocents. That makes you the lowest kind of scum. The kind that cannot be washed off, but instead must be burned."

At this, Shirren snatched up the poster from the wall, tossing it to the side on a nearby torch. The missive burst into flames, slowly drifting to the ground as it twirled through the air. Paper turned to ash as ash turned to smoke, gray wisps drifting off with the light breeze. And as the paper slowly, gently fell down to alight upon the ground, Shirren's boot slammed down upon it. He twisted his heel, grinding the smoldering paper into the dirt. Yet his face remained neutral, and his eyes shined with a slight gaze of disdain. Then he turned around and strode off, muttering to himself. 

"We're gonna need more buckets..."

Edited by Elpreties

Ostromir Carrion delights in the irony from afar, issuing missives to keep tabs on these series of events.

"Tax the NGS! Tax them into oblivion!" Viktor Lorenz Barclay chants while reading the missive in his bathtub

"Huh, so there was actually a fire.." Otto August comments to Karl Demetrius as the two newly met friends walked away from the scene.

@grnappa

Quentin Brae makes an obscene gesture towards no one in particular after reading the missive. "This bastard's got holes in his head the size o' melons. How can ye be so scatterbrained? Conflating a secular museum with the HRA and God or summin?

Nay, now wouldn't the Canon find that blasphemous? Claimin' to be a prophet or herald n' such? The fingers've gone in the pies and the soup, and god only knows how many other appendages in how many other dishes. It's a bloody surefire mess, now."

"Not a very good businessman, are ya, Matthieu?" Katerin Ardenis mutters to herself as she peels the missive off the outer facade of the NGS museum. "Indecisive enough that ya change your goals every few days- desperate enough that ya got to burn down yer competitors to earn those minas." She pulls out a sword and begins scraping a stubborn scrap of paper off the brick wall. "At least you had the good sense- ta' make yer missives- impossible to remove!"

Kallian Syrivir reads over the missive prior to bursting out in laughter and giving his knee a good old smack, shaking his head as he whippes away the tears from the laughter. "Funny" is all he ends up commenting and burns the paper up into ash.