The Duties and Responsibilities of the Clergy

IURA OFFICIAQUE CLERI

THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CLERGY

vDXaS3jTbfT8tR45PrxV9TV6fhXP-sDHdIwKP6Qt1bkxpPoUBVevrlfZD7rMPmivGzbsUxdsP0jdymh2yq1gFnY_VdOasd259tO1GrfYnT-ulf2Po-QRd7wlOXnSEKSa5OTcel07

AUTHORED BY FR. FERDINAND OF PONCE, c. 1813

MISSION OF THE CLERGY

or 

Purpose of the Clergy and Our Duty to the Flock

“I believe in GOD and vow my life to Him.

I believe in the Canon of Horen, Owyn, Godfrey, and Siegmund.

I submit to the Canonist Church and avow to my Salvation.

I will glorify GOD in every nation.”

-The Common Creed, H.P. Jude I

The Mission of the Clergy is a difficult question to answer, as different clergymen have different interpretations of what it means to be a clergyman. In following their own interpretations, many clergymen have been led astray by false beliefs. In speaking with many members of the clergy, there are some common beliefs. There are the base duties to administer the sacraments, and administer mass, as all Canonists are aware--there is also the duty of a priest as a shepherd to his sheep.

The duty of a clergyman as a shepherd to his sheep is one as old as the church itself. Since the days of the first High Priest appointed by Exalted Owyn, the clergy have always been present to guide the flock, and to defend them from the wolves that prey on lost souls. In protecting the flock, it is our duty to educate them on Canonist teachings. In his Encyclical Letter, High Pontiff Jude II called for more Canonist education in our schools. It is our duty to create the shield of the souls which defends it from the enemy.

It is within the Scrolls that the daemon Iblees cursed us with these temptations to sin. If not for the Scrolls and the clergy that upholds them, all the world would be living in sin and degeneracy. With the constant assault of Evil against the souls of man, it is us, the clergymen who teach the flock this word of faith. It is through shepherding the sheep in the ways of  the faith that the faith is preserved. In this mission of guiding the faithful, we admonish these souls when they are wrong and seek to guide them to the right--the God-ordained path.

---

CLERICAL LIFESTYLE

or 

Devotion of the Clergy to the Canonist Lifestyle

“So I am the Most High, and in pursuit of my Virtue, I bid to my faithful this: you shall not desire the wealth of this world, nor the wealth of others, but the wealth of the spirit.”

-Scroll of Virtue 2:10

The lifestyle of clergy can be described as a humble one, both in daily life and in action. On the exterior, the extravagant ceremonies and coronations of the Church of the Canon may appear to suggest a life mirroring such extravagance. However, one would be incorrect in assuming as much. Despite the elaborate robes and Golden Laurels of the high pontiffs, they remain humble--same with the clergy that follow their example.

The high pontiffs of the Church of the Canon don the fanciful regalia of centuries past, yet they remain humble. These men spare what they can, letting go of worldly arrogance, and always thinking for the best interests of their flock. These pontiffs set the example for the clergy below them. In following the example of the pontiff, the clergy must too be devoted to the flock. The clerical life is generally one of celibacy, with the most profound sacrifice being a life of steadfast dedication.

The priestly life is often a difficult one, as such steadfast dedication does test the bounds of faith--the requirements of celibacy, giving up material wealth, a strong desire to care for others before yourself. It is the clergy that must give up much of which others are free to enjoy. However, despite the talk of great sacrifice and dedication, I take solace in the fact that the privileges we enjoy as ordained men of the faith is due to that unique dedication to this lifestyle of humility and sacrifice. We realize that it is not for use to seek out a glorious lifestyle, but to dedicate our lives in service to God and His flock.

---

CLERICAL CONDUCT

or 

Behavior and Conduct of the Clergy

“For I have given to you the pleasures of the world, and they shall comfort you in the theater of virtue.

And you shall take them carefully, and shall not become a creature of worldly indulgence as the beasts of the earth.”

-Scroll of Virtue :7-8

The conduct of a clergyman is extremely important, as all ordained men of this Church are representatives of it. The conduct of clergymen is directly linked with how the faithful view their Church. This is why it is of utmost importance how one interacts with their flock--especially when telling them what they did is wrongful.

In our duties as clergymen, we are to guide the flock of sheep as the shepherds God has made us. In doing so, we must inform our flock of when they have done something wrongful. However, this should never be through anger, but of care--like a stern father. A clergyman must never get angry with a wrongdoer, for their sins are their own. As the shepherd to the flock, it is for us to cleanse them of their wrongdoings--not to force a confession. 

---

KEEPING THE FAITH

or 

Keeping the Faith and Believing in GOD

“And I have also breathed life into your heart, 

and the hearts of your children. 

And I have given you life: 

I am your father, and the father of all things. 

And so I shall guide you into a theater of virtue, 

and the virtuous shall not live except by My Word.”

-Canticle of Faith 1:5-7

Through all of these sacrifices to our Lord God and his flock of faithful, it is often easy for a clergyman to lose sight of why one originally took up the cloth--something I did, aswell. In my struggle to shepherd the flock of God, I have turned my back upon them. Instead of lowering myself to the level of these lost souls, I have sat upon my high horse, looking down upon them. If it were not for my pilgrimage across the churches of the land and praying to God for guidance, I might not have come to realize these mistakes. In this pilgrimage, God gave me the answer as I kneeled before His altar--it is only through maintaining the faith in God that we are granted the gift of saving his children from sin and debauchery, so we must remain humble, for only He is truly above all others. One must remember, for it is upon Him that we rely to guide us, as we guide the faithful.  In hardship and struggle in this vocation, it is God who shall support us, for we serve Him. It is the clergy who must always feel the support of God, keeping that close to our hearts.