[Soft Shelf] Blood In The Snow

Mewliet

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/UHqHLK-eCRI

Spoiler

Just to clarify, this isn't a PK post. It's just a soft shelf post while I take a small break from the character <3

A pale woman sat in an unfamiliar home within Elvenesse, eyes red and swollen and glossed over as if she’d been crying. Her clothes were stained with the stench of heavy alcohol as she merely glanced around the home with a tired gaze, yet she was unable to sleep. The elf’s attention was eventually caught by the smaller Fennic girl curled up on the floor beneath a painting. Her daughter.

The younger elf brought Valerica home with her in order to keep her safe, to look out for her in case she needed someone, though Valerica would never subject herself to being weak to her child. She always tried being strong for the girl, having been a protector for all of her life and then some.

Valerica’s mind was caught wandering back to not long before she was brought here, to the moment she sat upon the roof of a home overlooking the ocean. The woman’s features twisted into that of heartache and desperation as if she suddenly felt the pain of him leaving again. The man she loved returned to her, only to leave her again.

“What are you crying for? This is all your fault.”

The woman frowned, looking to the curly headed girl on the floor once again. She stood, quietly making her way over to sit beside her without waking the sleeping snowflake. With tears rolling down her face, she carefully reaches over to gently run her fingers through the girl’s curly white locks. She spoke in a soft whisper, as to not disturb her.

“I swore to always protect you oem’ii, and I swear I always will. You have my whole heart, and I’m sorry if I’ve ever failed you. I love you more than anything, and I hope you understand this is just something I have to do.” 

Sniffling quietly, the elfess brought a hand up to wipe her eyes before softly caressing her child’s pale cheek. She sat there for a while, merely staring at the girl as if she were afraid she’d forget what she’d looked like. Hours passed throughout the night before she’d lean down, planting a soft kiss on Rhae’s head before she stood in search of something within the home.

Spoiler

“My dearest Rhaella, I have made many promises to you, all on which I intend on keeping. I’m sorry to have left, but this is something I need to do. I will return soon, I promise. Stay strong for me, even when it seems impossible. Forgive me. -Val”

The note was left by the girl’s sleeping form before Valerica took the jagged lockpick from her pocket and quietly made her escape. She slipped through the doors and into the dark night, making her way out of Elvenesse.

Weeks, months, perhaps even years passed by as the woman remained unseen. No trace of her would be found anywhere for those who would search for her. What happened to the woman remains to be unknown...

Spoiler

again to clarify, not a pk post :*

Edited by Mewliet

The young 'fenn woke with a start from a disturbed sleep. This was normal. Blinking blearily, she looked around the quiet home. Silence met her. This was also normal.

She frowned. It shouldn't be quiet. There was something...Shooting upright she sprung to her feet, desperate eyes moving around the room. Nothing. There was no one else. Catching sight of the paper left behind, she snatched it up to read. A beat, then a low curse. Eyes wide and fearful, she threw the doors open and ran out.

She'd run for miles. Through woods and plains, over mountains and across rivers. The woman didn't stop for the following days. Her desperate voice calling out, looking for the woman who'd left without a sound.

Only at night when she curled up under the stars did the 'fenn fall quiet. Silent as the tears that shone in the moonlight.

Sobs echoed from somewhere within the temple of Thalassa, the sound carrying off of the stone. Following the sound of it was what led Estellise to Rhae. This was when she learned of what happened. The situation with Valerica wasn't something she'd known about, as she'd been spending most of her time at home, resting due to how late she was into her pregnancy. 

There was no hesitation to scoop Rhae up and hold her close, spending as long as it took to try to reassure her. Hours it took likely before the young 'fenn was calmed. It would have been a lie if she said she wasn't worried as well, but it was worth waiting to see what happened. Val was worth any wait they'd have to do.

'Please come home soon, Val.'

Walking through the empty home of ValericaRuvaen found more questions than answers.

Was the man who Ruvaen saw, the man who Valerica had described to him?

If so, why was he here? He shouldn't be, but he was.

Why was Valerica speaking with him?

Ruvaen would sit in the upstairs portion of the home, looking outward towards the bay, pondering of the night before. All of the events that had taken place had happened so quick and with no reason in his head that it left him bewildered. The last thing that Valerica had said to him ringed loudly in his thoughts.

"I need you both to leave, now"

Was this the Valerica that Ruvaen had grown to care for? To throw him from her home with no reason? Or was she trying to protect him and his sister from the man within the house?

"Perhaps I was a mere distraction from it all" He would say softly as he made his way down the stairs back onto the street.

Why had Valerica said nothing to him once she was found later that night?

Ruvaen would pause as he reached into his packed book bag and removed his journal, a full memoir of their experiences that Valerica had asked him to start writing.

"You read so much, that you might as well try writing. I think you'd be great at it"  The image of Valerica sitting ontop of the mountains, gleaming as she enjoyed a warm bowl of chili after taking a plunge into freezing water made Ruvaen momentarily crack a smile before continuing on. His journal would return to his pocket as he thought on the validity of it's contents, if the emotions stored within were even real. Ruvaen would rip a page free and begin to write a small note-

To Valerica,

I suppose we never got to take our adventure at sea, or build a castle in the mountains where we would live our final days. Though we got to spend sometime together that was eventful and special, which is a luxury to many. If you ever return to the Elvenesse and are in search of a new adventure or wish to pick up where ours left off, just speak to my sister. I don't believe any of us got the full story of what went down that night, and may never will. Though where ever life takes you, or has taken you, I hope it is one that brings you joy and happiness, as it's what you deserve.

From your friend,

Ruvaen

Ruvaen would run back and leave the note under a jar of spiced pickles, noticing the jars of odd vegetables and spices still untouched in the cabinets which made him chuckle. Leaving the door open as he had found it, he would take his leave, leaving through the same gates that Valerica had left prior.