The Koenas' Rest [Not a PK]

Maevlin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality."

Spoiler

- Emily Dickenson

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camilla vas Ruthern stood in the hallway outside the Koeng's office. Tears still streaming down her face, the scene inside the office burned into her memory. The Ruthern remains outside the doors for quite some while, accompanied by her friend.

"Moy will miss vy, Mariya. Yam going va look after Petra ag Sigismund, together with Katerina ag Stefan."

"Godan protect her soul." Erika Kortrevich whispered as she heard of her nieces death

Heinrik Karl remembered the first day him and Mariya were told about their engagement. "Nie mamej! I do nie wanna! Aunt say something! I do nie want to marry her!" He protested, threw things, shoved his mother and aunt aside, he was far from being happy with it. Why would he. Mariya was his friend. His first and only friend back then. The thought of marrying this girl, he had just smuggled alcohol into a den, played boyish pranks on adults or even trained with under the guidance of Ser Brandt, was now meant to be his wife.

Ridiculous

Nonetheless it happened. It had to happen, Heinrik knew their marriage would not be a happy one. He tried to force her into a role she was not comfortable with, in hopes to find something that simply wasn't there. The more he tried, the more stubborn she got. Unmovable object meeting unstoppable object. 

He hated himself for his treatment of her. He hated himself for his thoughts. He hated himself for not being capable of returning the love she was willing to give for him. He was not meant to be hers and didn't deserve the love she still offered to her.

And he'd hate himself for it in all eternity. 

Stefan B. Vyronov sat alone that night. A thousand yard stare on his face as he looked at the crackling fire in front of him. The queen was dead. Everyone was sad of course. Stefan was destroyed. Someone he looked to as a sister was gone. Though not blood related they grew up together. She was the closest thing to family he had for a long time as he rarely saw his uncle or grandfather, while his parents were long gone. He looked upon her torn up body and the wolf imagery and he knew.

A trek to the beacon of light in the dead of night was made. Stefan was silent as he slowly made his way up the stairs and climbed his way up the ladder. When he reached the top the memories came rushing back into his head. Especially of that night, when Mariya had left him and Marie to face off against the form of shadow. Stefan touched the small scar on his neck and tears began rolling down his cheeks as every part of it came back. He would close his eyes for a moment and look around with fury clear. "Where are vu, vu bastard!" he called out to the empty lighthouse, clearly waiting for something to appear. When it never did he would slowly get up and make his way to the palace.

Climbing up to the roof he would take a seat on the edge of the rooftops as he had done so many times in his youth. As the pale moon enlightened the area he would cry as all the memories came flooding back into his head. Stefan closes his eyes for a moment, thinking of all the times as kids they had talked about their worries and their fears about the future. Stefan looked up at the shining stars above and mutter to the cold air "The stars are so beautiful tonight" . He would look down and realize he was in the same spot he always took. He'd smile and look over to see the black haired woman, adorned in blue clothes and missing the crown in her hair sitting beside him and smile "We will be friends forever, no matter what" he'd echo. With a blink the visage of Mariya would disappear into the black of night.

The young man blinks again, rubbing his eyes. He would reach over to the empty spot and let out a scream of agony. Tears rush down his face as the he grabbed onto the spot and begins sobbing into the cold harshness of the night. The clank of training sword on training sword echos through his ears as he opens his eyes to watch younger versions of himself and Mariya sparring against one another. After a moment Mariya pins the younger Stefan and the scene shifts. The two appear to be older, Mariya fighting with fury and Stefan fighting back with more skill than before. As Mariya defeats him yet again he saw the smiles on each of their faces. The scene shifts again to a street in Karosgrad. "We should spar again soon." Mariya says with a smile "I can't wait to beat you again" . The Stefan smiles "I promise I will beat you eventually. We definitely need to spar again!" .

They had never sparred again. Will never spar again. A promise broken.

The scene changes one more time as it goes back to the roof. Mariya standing there and questioning a younger version of him, though the words are silent in Stefan's ears. The younger version is nodding along and saying things right back. Mariya then suddenly takes off into the palace, returning there shortly afterwards with Marie Barclay. Marie and Stefan talk and after a long moment the two grin, ear to ear.

"Vu brought us together" Stefan mumbles to himself as he looks upon the younger version of Mariya while the younger versions of Marie and Stefan talked "Vu were supposed to see us together for longer. See us get married.". Stefan begins to sob again as he realizes that, that too would not come to pass.

Stefan opens his eyes and looks around. Still the black of night. Still alone on the rooftop of the palace. He looks down at the steep drop in front of him as he continued to sit on the edge of the roof. The image of Marie flashes through his mind once more before he shakes his head and backs away off the roof.

Back in Astfield Stefan picks a letter with the words 'For Mariya' from a box filled with letters, all with other names. He would look over the letter he had prepared should he die and sets it into a different box. A so far empty one and hide it away.

Returning to his desk he would pop open a bottle of Carrion and begin to drink as the never ending memories of Mariya filled his head.

"Goodbye sister."

Edited by Wolfey34

Revas would hear of the news, retreating to her room soon after. She clutched a dagger in her hand - no longer the cold Druid Bronze. It was harsh steel, much like the girl's heart after the death of another pseudo-family member. The thought of the headless corpse of her sister haunted her mind as she stared down at the new blade.

"Heal, don't kill."

These words she had said to Stefan, the opposite of what she had been told for years. Revas would have to go back on her word to the young Baron to avenge their friend.

rdx3IyQZJpAUVTJEAV672t4wpX9RhAntDZTFTQIt5oX1v71x_HE72698726-XP1Z2rhCv3JkrnHIfMpkPSjIL_lTnaruGr6MmZ_cbNmyP_eLwBUK6MdOfj13YRkVpsnzgEvWO0AS

Isolde Barclay had always seen Mariya as her older sister. She was there for her when even her parents weren't present. The young girl had believed it was a joke at first. Mariya couldn't die. She would fight off her assailant, easily! Her sister was not allowed to die.

But she was dead.

Isolde waited beside Mariya's office door. She believed she would come out. She had to, right? She wasn't able to die.

She waited until her parents came to get her. She climbed into her vater's arms, asking a shaking question; "I-is it.. She.. Is she really gone?"

Within the crypts of forlorn kings, then, would an errant mutt lick the blood from its lips with a hideous, thousand-toothed grin. From its maw, horrendous and macabre utterances would slip the surly bonds of consciousness and make their way into the waking world. 

"False humility, lacking recompense,

Yet ne'er had he come to her defense.

The toll is paid, the blood of a Queen...

For that of a princess."

Fionn Castaway stood in the hallway leading to the King's office guarding those in the room, the grip on his zweihander tightening to the point his hands went pure white. He'd whisper under his breath "Mariya, I promise I will not break Mira's heart. I will make her happy. I swear to Godan."

26 minutes ago, Maevlin said:

She wore pants instead of the dresses Rosalind piled at her door.

Rosalind had been holding Petra for quite some time now. Her arms were numb from the weight of the toddler. She didn't quite want to put her down. Instead, she played with the cuffs of her little sleeves, braiding and unbraiding her hair in tiny plaits, all the while chattering to the girl - about dresses and shoes - picking off a few flowers from her crown to tuck into her hair. 

"Do niet fear, child. I will buy you a dress. A good dress makes problems go away." Rosalind is very wise. 

Katerina Ceciliya clutched her best friend's body in her arms. How could this happen, she was supposed to be strong? Tears rolling down her cheeks as she cursed everyone and everything while whailing. Her heart breaking from the loss and it most likely would never heal. Katerina's eyes filled with range and once it had been relieved they turned hollow. 

"Vy were trapped in life, I hope vyr niet trapped in death..."

Ingrid Barclay broke down crying in her room as she heard the news of Mariya's death, he woman she considered her daughter as she had raised her as one. The woman not knowing what to do as she just laid there on the floor in the keep of Reinmar.

Joseph Gaultier wanders through the streets of Karosgrad making his daily rounds his weapons belt filled with Aurum weaponry as he scowers the lands sighing at a serious lack of Aurum that laced the palace a few lines of it somewhere perhaps but clearly not enough to keep this Iblees spawn at bay the soldier merely gives a deep regretfull sigh "Fokin roite shame dat be.... Perhap' dah palace foinaleh starts usin dere fokin Aurum"

[!] The Ex Lieutenant hears the words and slowly closes his eyes... a solemn glance towards the palace before subtle shake of his head.

"To my left I see my fellow brothers, to the right I see the same. For all in the world, we fight for the peace of this land. Through God, he gave us stewardship of the realm. Through stewardship, we gained the knowledge of diligence and prudence. Through diligence, we may conquer all without fault. And if I should falter in my course, send me never to the skies above. If I should succeed, bestow unto me His blessings, forevermore. For, now I march into a valley through which there is no path. And the stones cascade behind me, to seal my retreat. Though in this valley, I find my Brothers; Now I am named Guardian of My Homeland. Should I falter, my shield shall turn to ash; But I shall not falter."

[!] As he finishes the HRA Chant, he says a small prayer to the one above,  he had watched her grow up, and had trained her, even fought along side her, Jackson felt for the first time in a while, A sadness above all with a simple pour of his flask he takes his leave...

"Old longings nomadic leap,
Chafing at custom's chain;
Again from its brumal sleep
Wakens the ferine strain."

Spoiler

Atavism by John Myers O'Hara / Call of the Wild by Jack London

As news of the queen's death spreads something in the North arises. . .

Spoiler

Annika Vyronov would be wringing her hands, rosary clenched in her grasp as she muttered silent prayers. What she had seen has not allowed her a blink of rest for several nights now. "Stefan saw her as a sister, Godan bless her majesty." She breathed out during her prayer before bed. "She is running through the seven skies at Godan's side, pants and all." She said, ending with a signing of the Hussariyan cross across her chest. She would quickly slip under her covers, still remaining awake for yet another sleepless night. 

Friedrich Barclay heard the news as he was preparing to send people out on an Oath Hunt. A part of him broke but he quickly steeled himself at the news and continue on. He led the men out and sent them on his mission. Upon their return he went through the oath as he typically did. Though when it came to the end one line stuck in his mind. "But I shall not falter." The first one of the cadets, the kids that he had partially raised from a young age to be warriors had finally died. Mariya had died before he did, this was something he hadn't expected, she was young, determined, and ambitious. Despite everything that had been thrown at her she never wanted to stop trying to be who she was at heart. For the rest of the day the words hanged in his head as he thought of his sister in arms, the child he had basically raised himself was dead.

Walked over to his office after a day of actually writing only to find more tragedy in his way. Next to his office he heard the tears of many. The news was clear to him, the Koenas was dead. Igor signed the lorraine once again. This was the third death that had occured within the year and Igor knew that those close to him would feel this death especially. That night Igor went home to his son and wrapped him in his arms as he prayed for the fallen Queen. "It's a shame to see you go that way... You did niet choose to be Koenas, but you did your best. My only hope is that your children will know your name and will know your bravery. May you rest in peace, Your Majesty. You can finally reunite with your Auntie Charlotte."