The Dignity of the Emperor's Peace

[!] A High elf dressed in charcoal black and brown leathers, wearing threads of crimson silk, with a short-walking staff clutched between his palms, speaks to the sympathetic ears of those who might listen and who pass by in Providence .

"Good Imperial Citizens,
  We have merry and cheer within our borders, the peace of the Emperor allows us bread, land, labor - we could be content our entire lives without ever leaving our villages. Some of you will return to plow your fields, and raise your families in joy and you would not be judged too harshly for not turning from your lives of good fortune and health to hear me speak.

Yet, I say we should not be ignorant of the troubles of our Northern friends, who seek to invade the sovereignty of our southern friends (REFUSAL OF HAELUN'ORIAN WEREGILD RENEGOTIATION - Page 2 - Royal Laws & Edicts - The Lord Of The Craft) over matters of honor and coin, demanding blood if necessary. The Empire has long served as a catalyst of peace in the region - predictable, dependable, and we act to ensure the good order and well being not only of ourselves - but over much of descendant kind over the many centuries. There is no strange mysticism to our laws, one can be judged rightfully on the successes and failures of our lives. 

This is why I ask our great leaders of this State, to openly declare Orenian guarantee of Haelun'or's sovereignty, and if necessary, declare our willingness to rise to the defense of Haelun'or should an act of naked aggression be taken against it by the Kingdom of Nordland. This primarily, in hopes to deter acts of violence, encourage a diplomatic solution between both parties, and to keep the Emperor's peace. We should appeal to the Kingdom of Haense and work with them to serve as a conflict mediator between Haelun'or and Nordland, as this peace between nations is in both our interests.

'But Master Melphestaus, we are not allied with the Silver State' - this is true, I say to you. But will Nordland fleets not travel through Imperial Waters? Will their supplies not traverse through Imperial territory? The Iron Accord is centered around the view that Oren was likely to be an aggressor against other nations, and while it comes to no surprise to any of us, I am sure there is a devastating shock amongst other nations to see that it was not us that threatened to draw steel against another. Should we tolerate a world where laws and friendships are meaningless? Is this the standard we should accept when we deal with our nations as friends? Or treaties will become, as a great scholar of the Li-Guo once told me, "like wind" - fluttering away as fast as they leave our mouths.

'But Master Melphestaus, we should let them settle matters between themselves' And to you I say, for what purpose has God endowed his Imperial Majesty with his authority? To raise armies and build walls so tall around Providence that we shall live our lives as nuns in silent devotion within our Cathedral? Nay I say to you that The Holy Empire has a duty, nay an obligation, to wield its authority to promote peace in our time. We cannot delegate this responsibility to any other nation, for only we have the national power and moral authority to speak against such actions. That a nation would impose its will on another nation with the flimsiest attempts of diplomacy, let alone allied nations, is embarrassing and concerning to not just Imperial citizens, but all citizens of the continent.

This is an opportunity to enlighten, to educate, and to promote the responsibility that Oren has to be not just a good neighbor, but the best neighbor one could have.

Good citizens, thank you for lending me your ear - may we have peace in our time."

[!] The High-Elf Steps returns to his seat in the Inn.

58 minutes ago, Minuvas said:

- may we have peace in our time."

Spoiler

merlin_23352849_dd45e7f2-c2f0-4fee-9ae5-

FF87D8_LEAD-e23f88d.jpg?quality=90&resiz

The Haylunorese bucked the alliance with our country to serve the coalitioners, sir.

So responds Ensign Fitzpeter after the speech, earnestly offering his perspective.

Our country answered the Haylunorese call for war during the recent Peter‘s reign, and they immediately gave thanks by joining the invasion against us, sir.

The Nordlings aren‘t a world power that could trounce the Haylunorese, regardless, and I don‘t see how they would manage it a world apart unless in the unlikely chance the Haeseni were to help them. In that case, coming to the defense of the Haylunorese would prompt an Urguanese invasion. The Haylunorese would then have pressure removed from them and honor their obligations to the coalition, joining the invasion of our country.

So why would we help a country which has signed herself an enemy of ours?

"Ironic that they wish to come to Haelun'ors defense for attacking Norland first, perhaps they have not actually read the document they mention, either way, proves Orenian intelligence." Vane says

59 minutes ago, ARCHITECUS said:

The Haylunorese bucked the alliance with our country to serve the coalitioners, sir.

So responds Ensign Fitzpeter after the speech, earnestly offering his perspective.

Our country answered the Haylunorese call for war during the recent Peter‘s reign, and they immediately gave thanks by joining the invasion against us, sir.

The Nordlings aren‘t a world power that could trounce the Haylunorese, regardless, and I don‘t see how they would manage it a world apart unless in the unlikely chance the Haeseni were to help them. In that case, coming to the defense of the Haylunorese would prompt an Urguanese invasion. The Haylunorese would then have pressure removed from them and honor their obligations to the coalition, joining the invasion of our country.

So why would we help a country which has signed herself an enemy of ours?

[!] The Elf nods at the Fitzpeter, giving the man a nod of respect.

Let us first acknowledge this man's patriotism and duty for service, in which he serves our country - he speaks not as a mere observe of conflict, but one who must act as the arm of the Emperor's will and his issues must be taken seriously.

You are wise to ask, "Why should we trust someone who has refused our hand of friendship" and to you I say - did not all three of Ex. Horen's own sons commit sin and a setting still made for them at the table of GOD to share in his forgiveness? Did the Lord not see fit to bring them his Epistles regardless of their past decisions?

Must we assume everyone who gives us a distasteful look will always dine at the table of our adversary? I say no, or we shall eat alone always in this self-fulfilling prophecy. You call them 'Enemy', but why is this so? Because they fear for their borders? They look upon the marching legions of the Empire and they see strength, and we have not steadied their fears that the trembling of the dirt of a thousand boots has not threatened to bring war, but it seeks to serve as a bulwark against violence. The Empire can act as a shield, first, with the spear drawn only when the shield fails.

So too, I say our Holy Empire and the State can acknowledge that no nation, no friend, is a servant - fit to fulfill the desires of the Holy Empire at our whims, but is instead subject to fear and misunderstanding, and baseless propaganda. We should be committed to show than, the food served at the table of our enemies is bitter - but our table, which can serve friends and competitors - is a far more fulfilling meal.

You are wise to ask, "Master Melphestaus, will we not accidentally invoke the Iron Accord?" and I say to you show me where we are offering to act in aggression against any nation by asking for peace?  Unlike the Kingdom of Nordland we have not threatened to take, we should promise to preserve. Preserve what? The peace of the realm.

Yet the Empire should not act alone, we must rightfully ask the Kingdom of Haense to join us in this mediation.  For they have seen fit to unite these powers, and yet it is most unfortunate that they cannot keep the peace of their friends. We cannot judge them for this, only the Empire and its enviable institutions - often mimic'd but rarely duplicated - have the capacity, capability and the manpower to help our Northern friends navigate the intricacies of such diplomacy. The Kingdom of Haense should join us at our table of friendship and and help to resolve this matter peacefully with us, we would hate for our good friends to have to decide which of their allies they must make war on over a matter of money and honor.

I thank you good sir, for provoking me to think of your concerns.