Surge 1.1 Beta Launch - Dual Wielding, Arrow buffs, Dev tears and more!

nickrocky213

I would say that these changes will make me just call defender default and CRP but even when I do moderation can come in and force PvP. Therefore I think I will simply go play a full loot MMO and get the same experience I will be having on lotc with this update. 

8 hours ago, Tox said:

This is cool and all.. but I personally think this is a lot for a server that's supposed to be all roleplay.....

facts bro, everyone will disregard RP and just call pvp when there is conflict now, not that that didn't already happen, but I feel like there is a big encouragement for mechanical stuff and pvp over roleplay now-a-days.

5 hours ago, rukio said:

I would say that these changes will make me just call defender default and CRP but even when I do moderation can come in and force PvP. Therefore I think I will simply go play a full loot MMO and get the same experience I will be having on lotc with this update. 

I thought you were exaggerating but then I looked back at the update and saw the arrow damage percent increases, arrow effects, fletching bonus, etc. and dang this is pretty MMO-like. Honestly reminds me of Nexus archery but without the dragon scale archer armor.

More weapons are cool but throwing in percentages AND arrowhead types AND fletching is probably gonna be harder to balance right and might be a tad more confusing in combat too.

Also being able to apply two affects to people at the same time with dual wielding might be a bit wack. The chance to stun and bleed (just to name one combo) on the same hit might make PvP between dual wielders depend a lot on RNG.

9 hours ago, Orlanth said:

What better for RP than accurate mechanical representation!

Yes I do remember back in the good old medieval days when you'd shoot at the invading bandits with twinwood arrows using bluesteel arrowheads fletched in harpy feathers to maximize the damage and longevity of the slowness potion effect you've dipped onto them while providing an extra chance to kill them if they are already injured. Just a day's work in ye olden times!

9 hours ago, PrinceJose270 said:

gree, It's cool and all, but it's making LOTC feel a bit more... PVP focus, rather then Roleplay focus. I wont say it's bad at all, but I feel like in my own opinion this is slowly drawing away from RP a little bit, duel wielding someone can do IRP as effectively as in Vortex.

This is the surge update, the pvp plugin... as opposed to vortex, the crafting plugin, that's why its adding all the pvp stuff as well as the pvp craftable stuff. Just wait when culinarian comes out and you can do modular cookies instead of arrows

I for one am happy that Nickrocky is working hard to please all sides rather than just tailoring to one group. And the fact that he is effectively pulling it off as well also speaks volumes to how good he is at his role in LOTC's team. Kinda bummed out to see all these comments downing on the fact that we have PvP, I mean the whole point of it existing is to lessen the load on staff. What do you want them to do? Manage a 25 v 18 CRP session in Oren and then get burnt at the stake when they miss your individual emote? What about wars? Minor Conflicts? If it were easy to do that kind of stuff I'm sure they would have done it. There are people behind the screens of your moderators that "force you to do PvP anyways", a lot of them can't sit down and moderate a large CRP session for six hours because they have to help other people on the server already.

Though I will say it is a bit scuffed regarding the rules for banditing and PvP in general, it could use a clean up.

There is a unique issue that is often overlooked, that is the people trying to balance PvP for roleplayers are attempting to make it fair in the eyes of someone who doesn't want PvP to exist in the first place, which is difficult because the most balanced version they can make of it would be to remove it from the server. The mere fact that they are still trying to make it work and approaching it various different ways tells you how much they care about your experience already, every single ST, ET, World Team, Dev, Mod, Admin, etc... put in several unpaid hours into this server for your entertainment.

Sorry for the rant, I really felt like I needed to say this after seeing all these comments sort of invalidating the work Nickrocky did.

1 hour ago, Reece Nolan said:

Kinda bummed out to see all these comments downing on the fact that we have PvP, I mean the whole point of it existing is to lessen the load on staff. What do you want them to do? Manage a 25 v 18 CRP session in Oren and then get burnt at the stake when they miss your individual emote? What about wars? Minor Conflicts?

Sorry for the rant, I really felt like I needed to say this after seeing all these comments sort of invalidating the work Nickrocky did.

No one is invalidating the work Nickrocky did he's an amazing coder for sure. But also: A lot of us did not ask for the work he put in.

1.8 minecraft vanilla PVP was fine as it was left for large group battles & wars. PVP was supposed to be an alternative to RP when there were too many people not an alternative gameplay to do outside of RP and grind your favorite MMO game, lord of the craft, out.

12 minutes ago, Tox said:

No one is invalidating the work Nickrocky did he's an amazing coder for sure. But also: A lot of us did not ask for the work he put in.

1.8 minecraft vanilla PVP was fine as it was left for large group battles & wars. PVP was supposed to be an alternative to RP when there were too many people not an alternative gameplay to do outside of RP and grind your favorite MMO game, lord of the craft, out.

Nick as all my respects, as he is one of the best coders Lord of the craft has ever have. However from the ads to rules themselves. Most pvp encounters are an optional alternative method. Surge i can say is quite unique, but at the end of the day and people can agree or not. Lord of the craft is a RP server and not an MMORPG game. 

Besides, when it comes to PVP, a lot of factors play in aside from little stats to boost someone over the edge. I e these special arrows. or jousting with pikes.

At the end of the day it doesnt mean much if you have say, a low-grade PC or not that skilled in PVP. Thats why some if not more then half the fights i see on lotc are CRP instead of PVP. and only it goes to the clicky clicks when someones trying to flee or try to default in overwhelming numbers, which invalidates most RP skills/things about them. 
An example being once PVP is called the orc with his rp items is useless against the 10 year old in full pvp gear if they get defender. Which of course wouldnt make any sense :P

14 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I’d have him bring back 1.8 but I’m biased sooo

Yea I mean I'd make him give ppl 200 energy & bring back vanilla 1.8 iron only. I'm not a huge fan of surge pvp, I think swing timers fundamentally don't work at lotc's average tps, but I don't believe in shitting on a guy for no reason while he's trying to do something creative.

Just think the absolute bottom of the barrel criticism is "umm... isn't a roleplay server?" Especially in response to a legit improvement in the pvp plugin. It's as if these ppl think nickrocky is procrastinating on the plugin that makes everyone roleplay

11 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

what exactly would you have nickrocky do?

Updating plugins to current/working MC version, Limited Creative, nation currencies in autoshops, etc

Not that I hate the pvp changes. I think stacking procs with the dual wielding thing is completely wack and there‘s a lot of redundancy/complexity that could be cut at no loss, but seeing the overall care for balance is a good and refreshing thing. I have to respect Nickyrocky for that even if he‘s brainwashed into Oran hate

I really like the gear carrying capacity thing because it makes sure macro users dont get a massive advantage. Hopefully it doesnt get in the way of normal transport/storage

14 hours ago, PrinceJose270 said:

I agree, It's cool and all, but it's making LOTC feel a bit more... PVP focus, rather then Roleplay focus. I wont say it's bad at all, but I feel like in my own opinion this is slowly drawing away from RP a little bit, duel wielding someone can do IRP as effectively as in Vortex.

It's still a neat development never the less.

Bet.

A La 5E D&D, I see mechanics as useful ways to streamline the process of RP storytelling. While CRP is great and all, having two dozen people spamming emotes in #s would become a confusing mess, and this is where we can use Block Game to provide a more enjoyable experience and method of progressing the roleplay. With that said: I for one would like those mechanics to be as well thought out and balanced as possible, so that using Block Game to help with RP is not only possible, but enjoyable!

On 4/15/2021 at 6:54 AM, PrinceJose270 said:

I agree, It's cool and all, but it's making LOTC feel a bit more... PVP focus, rather then Roleplay focus. I wont say it's bad at all, but I feel like in my own opinion this is slowly drawing away from RP a little bit, duel wielding someone can do IRP as effectively as in Vortex.

RP =/= essay writing

Mechanical representations are better than text whenever possible/suitable. Do LARPers emote irl? Nah cuz they can "mechanically" do literally everything. 

1 hour ago, argonian said:

Do LARPers emote irl?

Really depends upon the LARP, man. And I've found that the better ones do require IRL emotes. Generally, there are two types of LARP systems for crafting and materials production. 

1. A Check-in System, like Vortex. You walk into the staff shed at check-in and say "I have mining 3, so I get 3 ores of my choice this game" or "here is the iron bars needed. I have blacksmithing 3, so I can turn them in for 3 swords."

2. You spend thirty minutes RPing in the mine, talking with other miners, maybe getting interrupted by a goblin attack, and generally interacting with the world while doing your profession. You go to the staff shed and they recognize your RP and hand you the ore you just mined.