The Player Retention Plugin

Treshure

I'm looking forward to seeing how this stuff is implemented and I think a lot of it sounds like a good idea.

Glad to hear y'all are listening to feedback! :)

Can't wait for this to turn into more quests maybe some with vortex rewards?
Or allowing nations to have custom quest boards with activities for players to do :D
This update appeases the MMORPG aficionado in me. 

I look forward to seeing how this will play out, with new change always brings new excitement of its own.

Thank you Treshure. When do we get to play overwatch

Does the compass point directly to a city, or will it help keep new players on the roads? I feel like itll cause some new players to have to end up swimming through a giant ocean for 20 minutes, or navigating painfully steep hills because the compass could potentially guide them away from the road 

Great post tho, hopefully it helps improve player retention 

This is awesome, I'm really happy to see staff taking an interest in player retention and doing something about it. It always broke my lil heart to meet someone new, interact and have fun, and never see them online again. Hell, the possibility to give new players minor quests or events kinda makes me want to apply for ST Actor. +1

36 minutes ago, Treshure said:

Alongside Haense’s regional broadcast, Story Team Actors can also opt in to receive broadcasts about new players joining server-wide. Once receiving the broadcast, ST Actors can follow the new player and set up an encounter across the road. It may be things such as a creature encounter, or exploring a shimmering light in the forest. The events need not have depth; whilst a wolf hunt may be a tired cliche of veteran players, it’s the most exciting thing that can happen to a new player that has freshly joined the server. This feature will first be test-ran to make sure it is an effective use of ST resources.

As a member of the Event Team, I am 100% for this and look forward to helping the newbies with their first experience.

34 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

That was a point the Techs immediately raised after the proposal. We pulled out a map and traced out the lines between the hubs & cities. I believe the compass will adjust to help keep the newcomer on the road/on land. Shouldn't be too much of an issue, though. The lines are surprisingly straighter than I thought.

BASED

In all honesty though, would love to see something like this come to fruition! Guiding new players and getting them accustomed to the server can be tricky, especially since our availability varies during the day, so having something like this would be real neat :D

As a new player myself, I am very happy to see these opportunities for change being taken! I was very lucky to receive immediate attention from a faction leader my first day on the server, but a lot of things lined up just right to quickly bring me into the Krugmar community. I understand many other players may not have it so lucky when starting out.

Some worries I do have fall upon whether the player's choice of portal will align with their original character application, or if there is more flexibility in the system. For example, What if Kor'garr the orc accidentally entered the Urguan portal? Another is the already mentioned concern of promoting more stagnancy in the server-wide politics, though it could be argued the direction of newer players to very well entrenched communities is in itself a bonus... I simply hope this will not have a detrimental effect on smaller communities attempting to grow.

Finally, for cities with sprawling road to arrive from the waypoint a la Elvenesse... Maybe there can be more directional signs made, and a "chain" of compass points instead of just showing a straight line to the city? More to code, I know, but I don't want any new players to quit because a compass sent them halfway up random mountain 74-B.

Either way, Great work! I look forward to seeing this implemented!

I have 2 questions:

1: Will anything be done about the increasing server bureaucracy and lack of dynamic RP as mentioned on this thread? It's cool to have more methods to bring players into a settlement and give them an ST event immediately, but it's likely that new player retention could still be pretty low if the clique-y RP, AFKers, and sprint jumpers all return the moment the initial integration is over without the new player being a part of any grander story.

2: (this is a personal matter) Will new halflings have the option to be led to Bramblebury? I will be very mad if new halflings don't have that option and have to pick between cities full of races different from their persona.

There may not always be halflings in the village, but if you ping our @roleplay role on the halfling discord we can usually have a few folks show up. If it becomes a problem that new halfling players aren't getting integrated, you can give them a compass for Elvenesse AND Bramblebury if they pick Bramblebury so that if they don't get integrated in the village immediately, the Elves can give them some initial RP and have them come over to Bramblebury later if they want.