The Player Retention Plugin

Treshure

This is epic, could there be a way for us more common players to be informed when new players join so that we can join the welcome wagon? I'd be down to do so.

Looking so forward to having everyone test this plugin soon! It's the first time I've coded something quest-like so I'm super excited to be both trying something new and helping new players. Glad to see everyone's looking forward to it and sharing some great feedback!

Will the compass also be pointing players to pre-existing Settlements such as Yong Ping in the future? I imagine this won't be the case because I can see how settlements can be hard to manage with plugins.

7 minutes ago, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

The portals will update to the most populous settlements at the current time, in addition to the core racial capitals. The maximum number of portals haven't yet been set, but we're trying to score a balance between inclusivity and making sure the new player isn't overwhelmed with options.

People join expecting a Minecraft server with RP elements but leave disappointed when all they find is a walking simulator where every nation leader wants their minas and their activity rather than anything else. Perhaps that's partially what influences people to leave Lord of the Craft rather than anything else. Staff members purposefully create rules and situations which forcefully contribute to the amount of stagnation that we've experienced over the past few years. Roleplay hardly exists nowadays, your options are either guard duty within a nation or tavern roleplay - pick your poison! 

Wish to do something out of the ordinary? Sorry, here are a dozen obstacles placed in your path by a power hungry moderator who could care less about roleplay. Such is life within Lord of the Craft! Who has the leaked screenshots from four-ish years ago (Operation Kaboom) when LOTC was hacked of the admins talking about how they purposefully create stagnation within the server and purposefully go out of their way at times to be harsh towards players? Oh, did we forget about that?

Finally, there’s so many rules and restrictions that all they can do is slice of life which turns most people off. No one plays Minecraft to RP playing house, they want content. There's no content; ergo nobody wants to play Lord of the Craft except veteran players who have no other options - to them it's a sunk cost .. they won't ever get back the time they spent on LOTC so why bother quitting now.

14 hours ago, teawithbee said:

Jokes aside, some feedback. I think it'd be neat if the CT folks also got a similar ping when a new player is en route to a settlement, so that we can come and help make sure they get a warm welcome and are integrated with the community, in case nobody else comes to take care of that.

please!!! this would be gnarly🙏 

a new way to help new players who don't request for monks.

Beyond hype for this, well mf done. Personal hunts or events for new players in the beginning is dope, I hope to help out!

My first thought was "Great, another thing to make this MMORPG adjacent, brilliant" but now having fully read the post, I have little worry about that. Thanks for this, when I was a new player I got helped to Haelun'or by a monk, we sat there for a few moments, and barely anyone was there, they had to use their privileges as a CT to find an active player to come over and open that gate. So having a pinging system sounds pretty good. My initial fear was that this would somehow take away from real player interaction, but, no, this plugin seems like a great plan. I will certainly be making an effort to greet any new players it informs me of.

3 hours ago, Lady_Dietz said:

Beyond hype for this, well mf done. Personal hunts or events for new players in the beginning is dope, I hope to help out!

Me too actually! I'd be down to set up events for newbies!

I really like the idea of Events for new players as a way to bring them into the community with a great first impression, and wholeheartedly support it! One minor worry I do have is the "then what?" bit. After that first event, how can we keep new players interested with dynamic roleplay and avoid their next 2 weeks being SOL/campfire RP? Going one step further, how do we prevent that new player event from feeling like a bait and switch to draw them into being a resource battery? I would really like to see more local events that give characters, both veteran and new, a reason to step out of the city plaza and interact with the beautiful world that is Almaris... 

Of course, there is one massive issue with that. Dynamic roleplay requires movement and change, things that are very much stifled by the focus on activity ratings for capital tiles. Why would nation leaders send guards out to patrol the surrounding lands and find neat events if that means those players are not passively AFKing in the region that decides whether the whole settlement exists or not? Why would a worker explore the breathtaking world around their city when their NL would just see that as wasting time and point them right back to the local mine? Everyone here wants more dynamic roleplay and more events, but without removing the shackles to our nation tiles I fear even the highest quality events out around Almaris would go ignored, and so the wonderful first impression proposed in the OP would be replaced with the bitter monotony of grinding.

TL;DR. Keeping new players requires dynamic RP, dynamic RP requires a change in how we view player activity, please make it enjoyable and encouraged to not huddle around the nearest campfire.

Edited by Mannamannaa

This honestly sounds like such an amazing idea, I hope it works