[✗] [Magic Lore] Clericalism: The Light of Tahariae

Valannor

Maybe I spent a lot to read it all.. but alty, for the love of God, you did an amazing job !

I don't know what to write, except one big thicc +1 !

23 minutes ago, altiar1011 said:

Clericalism is explicitly incompatible with all dark magics and feats, excluding Pale Blood Magic, as it is merely an engine of creation, provided that no Covenants are broken during its practice. If one has questions on what can and cannot be utilized by Clerics, contact the ST.

"All rituals require a small cabal to participate in order to stir the magical potential within the bloody inscriptions, necessitating that some of those present must also be already awakened: greater tier pale blood mages. They are fragile things and interference like combat or destruction of the written runes is enough to disrupt them. As well, rituals require that the sacrifices used to write them must remain living during the duration of the ritual lest the runes lose their potency; sacrifices are best as willing participants or protected prisoners. The use of blood for this feat’s purposes is measured in “living sacrifices” of the following levels:"

Willingly assisting “dark” entities, groups, or organizations with their acts of villainy will break this tenet. Standing by idly in the face of such would also qualify. “‘Dark’ entities, groups, or organizations” is simply defined as any organization which actively perpetuates Impurity in all forms or that plays host to Revealed Dark Creatures.

No murder hoboing. Don’t slay a Descendant unless they are defined as impure, as dictated within Vile Impurities. This includes having other people kill Descendants for you. 

This, In my opinion, does not fit with the lore at all. Blood magic at its base is evil as it has a chance of summoning a horror which will try to kill people which I feel should directly break one of the supposed Covenants but I can't fine "Don't put someone in danger". It just goes against everything a Cleric should stand for. Not only that but you need a group to do these things, you either need a group of clerics all with blood magic which is stupid. Or you directly break a covenant by joining a 'cabal' otherwise known as a 'dark' group

12 minutes ago, Callum said:

S n i p

To take it from the top:

Yes, you need a group of Clerics, or similarly 'good' holy Magi such as Druii or Paladins, with PBM in order to utilize it. Paladinism is much the same way in its current state of compatibility with PBM, and your issue with such is rectified by this specific line of text

provided that no Covenants are broken during its practice.

In addition, originally PBM wasn't going to be compatible with Clericalism, but upon consultation with Zarsies, lore holder and writer of PBM, he urged me to reconsider and merely limit aspects of its usage. In fact, and we had a some... I'd reckon hour or two long conversation about it. 

This, In my opinion, does not fit with the lore at all. Blood magic at its base is evil as it has a chance of summoning a horror which will try to kill people which I feel should directly break one of the supposed Covenants but I can't fine "Don't put someone in danger". It just goes against everything a Cleric should stand for. Not only that but you need a group to do these things, you either need a group of clerics all with blood magic which is stupid. Or you directly break a covenant by joining a 'cabal' otherwise known as a 'dark' group

It's morally grey, yes, but not explicitly evil. It can summon a horrific monstrosity as a consequence of failure in its use, which happen to be things Clerics and other holy magi such as Paladins are fairly suited to kill so that they can't bring harm to others. As I said, originally it wasn't going to be compatible, but Zarsies changed my mind, and I do think it adds a fair bit of depth in terms of dynamics when these morally grey options are allowed so long as they fit within the constraints of the magic itself, and the tenets system put in place. If the LT take issue with it, I shall remove the compatibility, but it exists on the basis of furthering roleplay through a medium of artifice that other holy magi are able to utilize as well. At its core, PBM has been described to myself as an engine of creation, which happens to utilize, well... blood as a power source. On its own, it's not quite evil, but it could certainly be used for evil ends, just as it can be used for good. It's a tool, in the end. 

yooo

Just now, JoanOfArc said:

now write paladinism

Julesplz don't do me this dirty. 

14 minutes ago, JoanOfArc said:

now write paladinism

neko neko kneecaps

Reading this was rather hard due to the unnecessary fluff used in the lore as well as the simple things you outline in your abilities for example. I think someone in the thread already made a good comment on what could be done differently - so all I really have to say is that while I think you did a fair attempt at trying to circumvent powergaming and metagaming, it still is extremely possible. Players will always find new ways to abuse lore in ways you'll never anticipate. 
(A personal note from me, making everything a bright white text makes it harder to read in my opinion, perhaps using the default text color for the main paragraphs is fine.)

Nice! Just remove that whole thing about laws on the clerics to avoid what happened to the shades and other magics with ooc restrictions and you'll be gucci. +1

2 hours ago, FamilyGuyMoment5 said:

For Radiant Armaments, I’m rather disappointed with this spell. You could easily go for an aesthetic method for this where they’re able to have some effect on their weaponry. Granted Heraldry and Translocation, this simple spell can be heavily abused in conflict where the person is bound or in trouble.

So you say granted to Herald and translocation. You actively play an Azdrazi and say that this is an issue? The group that runs around hiding their weapons and summoning them at will? If this should be changed to something aesthetic so should Azdrazi/Herald's rendition of it.

Feel like this just takes away from the original niche that clerics were and what made them distinct and turns them into paladins except with more utility and healing. Can't say I am a huge fan of that. 

31 minutes ago, JustGrim said:

So you say granted to Herald and translocation. You actively play an Azdrazi and say that this is an issue? The group that runs around hiding their weapons and summoning them at will? If this should be changed to something aesthetic so should Azdrazi/Herald's rendition of it.

Rather disingenuous to compare a magic/CA that's abhored and hated IRP with another that's accepted since it's a holy magic. Let's keep in mind that most nations and places don't fear or think ill of Clerics, while Heralds/Nephilim are seen in a worse light IRP. Most nations won't think ill of a Cleric summoning their weaponry openly while most would if a Herald did as is their worship and allegiance to Nephilim. 

Even then, there's redlines against some problems of this for heraldry:

- Cannot be used while restrained.

- Only two specific items may be draan-bound, and these cannot be changed unless the prior bound item or items are permanently destroyed.

Two mundane weapons versus a potential five.
- A number of weapons may be bound equal to a Cleric’s tier.

The potential of summoning more weapons. You could - in theory - smuggle five weapons in and grant them to your party.

- Only one item may be summoned at a time. Additional items require additional emotes.

Further more, for Azdrazi - they can only summon weapons that are crafted of Dracanium rather than anything. There's limitations, things to prohibit someone from minmaxing. And yet, I see no redlines against materials such as Thanhium.

Perhaps, there's issues with Bel Zahkrii in the Heraldry Write-up that needs to be amended in the future, but barring your dislike of Azdrazi and me aside - from numerous VCs where you'd constantly talk ill about the players and CA itself - this is a lore-post on Clericalism and not Nephilim itself. Let's keep it on track and on the topic, thank you.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c88650f1112ce273e493253919cbaafa.png

the second i see a lore go up that takes a literal 3 minutes to speed scroll through I suddenly have second thoughts about being ST lore