WHY ON THIS HILL?

The Media Wizard

What compels us to seek out power? For many, it is a desire to have purpose; for others, it is born from a place of necessity. We all have our distinct reasons for pursuing power. Sometimes, even, we lie and say that we do not want it. It is just that, though — a lie. It makes us seem humble and non-threatening to some. For myself, it was a lie I have come to accept as a falsehood.

I want power. I want the position of High Prince. To many in our lands, this admission of desire is seen as ravenous and sinful; however, the manner in which that power is attained is often forgotten. So, too, is the reason it was pursued.

I, Amaesil Vuln’miruel, was asked by two elves I am close with to run for this position. Despite my adoration for the title and a crown to match, I declined. Then, at the meeting of Vuln’miruel the Elven night before the council meeting, my family encouraged me. I mustered my courage and resolve before finding the man who trained me to be the elf I am today — Celiasil — and requested his nomination.

The conversation was short. He gave to me his trust and placed my name forward to the council. Shortly after, I reached out to many of my close friends and family. After celebrating the beginning of this new challenge, I began to seek out the Chieftains of the Seeds and listen to them in-full. My intent for these conversations was unmistakable: I desired their vote at the Chiefsmoot. I played to my strengths and sought to build the Elvenesse I wanted — a nation of centralized authority and the explicit transparency to the Chieftains who have performed great feats of loyalty and administration in the day-to-day happenings in our city.

We have yet to discuss why I want this power; what drives me forward despite the harsh words and dramatics displayed by those I call kin. What elf — no, what person — would risk their name, reputation and relationships in pursuit of a crown.

The truth is that this is not about the crown: it is about the elves.

The nation needs a leader who can properly agenda-set for the council and make decisions that will leave us proud — foolish, too, if need be. It is my intention to use the power of the High Prince’s seat to properly organize and centralize the power of Elvenesse so that we have a leader that the people can have faith in again; a leader that will do what is difficult rather than what is necessary. I was told recently that to be a good leader is to sacrifice your ideals so that difficult decisions can be made. I ask you all:

Do you want to live in an Elvenesse where we are monsters for the sake of security? To me, true leadership is making the difficult decision not to falter in remaining who we are above all else.

I do not. That is why I continue to fight for this position and this nation. That is why I accept constant attacks on my morality despite years of distinguished and reasonable loyalty. To call me power-hungry is correct, but I hunger for power so that I can fix what I see broken among our system. If the risk of attempting to save my homeland is this flagrant abuse, I will accept it. As I stand at the front line when the war horns sing, I will stand here until my people are content with the world we’ve created.

Attached is a list of changes I would like to implement. If we are to discuss, let us discuss on what is to become of me should you give me faith.

A DOCUMENT IS ATTACHED

[Please read this hidden piece below]

Spoiler

Hey, folks. I felt that it was necessary to make an OOC attachment to this post. As most of you know, I enjoy organizing things. My two jobs at my university are in organizing two separate divisions of the visuals department for a newspaper. I also organize a weekly Dungeons & Dragons group, a table-top roleplaying game discord and — of course — the Wardens on the Lord of the Craft.

Organizing and maintaining things is what I do. I enjoy doing it and I often try to do it where I see fit. When the OOC announcement for the High Prince position became available, I thought it would be a fun roleplay opportunity for my character to participate; however, I understood the OOC venom-spitting that communities on this server can create. I’ve been the victim of it many times over throughout elven communities. When I saw, though, that people seemed to want me to try my hand OOCly and RPly, I decided to give it my best shot.

I want to be incredibly clear: I outright refuse to play OOC political games. Everything I have done has been in character and I have relented on making a statement in RP and OOC due to fear of further backlash. I had absolutely no part in what occurred at yesterday’s council meeting other than what my character said in-roleplay. As I understand it, what I said was not even considered an issue by those involved. The fact that I am being told that people are deeming me the OOC aggressor to this is disgusting.

I will not go down this rabbit hole. I will not engage with childish behavior or rumor-mill sensationalism. We all need to seriously consider what we are doing when we make statements like this because it has affected me and many members of the council who I have deep respect for IRL. They do not deserve that most of all. Keep roleplay roleplay.

I’m running for this position because I want to fix this mess. If you think otherwise, I do not care.

Spoiler

HoxUdiD.png

((I got no horse in this race but if you want to make it clear that you don't like Out-of-Character drama and stuff, I'd recommend to stop engaging with it and propagating it on a public forum, i.e., referencing it over and over in small notes OOC notes on RP posts. Seems counterintuitive. Hope you guys manage to sort out whatever this drama involving the banned fellow is and fix your succession crisis! Nobody should have to be worried about being out-of-characterly harassed, belittled, tormented, or spat upon. The foundation of a strong and healthy community is the rejection of locker room talk and boorish criticism and ill behavior!))

"Evar'tir was the only reliable choice." Eir'thall mumbles hopelessly, soon crumbling the copy and tossing it into a near-by fire.

Just now, Waibiao said:
  Hide contents

HoxUdiD.png

Spoiler

I am entirely comfortable with admitting that my opinion has changed. When people tell you that you should do something, it is a difficult decision to make. I wrestled with this decision for days before deciding that helping was worth the hatred I would get for trying. People trusted me enough to tell me that they had faith in me and I took it to heart. It really, really sucks right now OOC for me, but I am doing it because despite my prior resolve I have a newfound desire.

"A Mali of Action and Order is needed to secure a strong elven state."

Casreus simply put, the elder mali observing his favoured stateself.

"i think this one wanted my head on a pike, and was ready to lead an angry mob!" exclaimed a certain elfess.

8 hours ago, The Media Wizard said:

Hey, folks. I felt that it was necessary to make an OOC attachment to this post. As most of you know, I enjoy organizing things. My two jobs at my university are in organizing two separate divisions of the visuals department for a newspaper. I also organize a weekly Dungeons & Dragons group, a table-top roleplaying game discord and — of course — the Wardens on the Lord of the Craft.

Organizing and maintaining things is what I do. I enjoy doing it and I often try to do it where I see fit. When the OOC announcement for the High Prince position became available, I thought it would be a fun roleplay opportunity for my character to participate; however, I understood the OOC venom-spitting that communities on this server can create. I’ve been the victim of it many times over throughout elven communities. When I saw, though, that people seemed to want me to try my hand OOCly and RPly, I decided to give it my best shot.

I want to be incredibly clear: I outright refuse to play OOC political games. Everything I have done has been in character and I have relented on making a statement in RP and OOC due to fear of further backlash. I had absolutely no part in what occurred at yesterday’s council meeting other than what my character said in-roleplay. As I understand it, what I said was not even considered an issue by those involved. The fact that I am being told that people are deeming me the OOC aggressor to this is disgusting.

I will not go down this rabbit hole. I will not engage with childish behavior or rumor-mill sensationalism. We all need to seriously consider what we are doing when we make statements like this because it has affected me and many members of the council who I have deep respect for IRL. They do not deserve that most of all. Keep roleplay roleplay.

I’m running for this position because I want to fix this mess. If you think otherwise, I do not care.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by Mavromino